IJCRR - Vol 07 Issue 23, December, 2015
MOBILE APPLICATION - CROSS DOMAIN DEVELOPMENT AND STUDY OF PHONEGAP
Author: Mathangi Krishnamurthi
There has been a significant development in the market for smart devices and its computational power in the last decade. The combination of computational power, easy portability, inherent features and the ease with which it reaches the common man has propelled this development. The need for mobile solutions has increased exponentially due to the easy and prevalent access to these smart devices. The dilemma met by those wanting to target these consumers was mainly as to which methodology to adopt. Given the fragmented Smartphone market, native development of application was found resource wise and financially not lucrative. There came a need for a “Develop One Time, Deploy anywhere anytime” solution. So this has been solved by the cross-platform mobile application development tool. Phonegap is one such popular framework which embeds HTML5 and CSS3 to provide the needed functionality. Given its generic nature, there is still some need for consideration of its performance as opposed to a native application.
Keywords: Smart devices, Cross-platform development, Phonegap
Mathangi Krishnamurthi. MOBILE APPLICATION - CROSS DOMAIN DEVELOPMENT AND STUDY OF PHONEGAP International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 07 Issue 23, December, 34-39
1. Global mobile statistics 2014 Part A: Mobile subscribers; handset market share; mobile operators, http://mobiforge. com/research-analysis/global-mobile-statistics-2014-parta-mobile-subscribers-handset-market-share-mobileoperators?mT (accessed 2-11-2014)
2. Ramzi N. Sansour, Nidal Kafri, Muath N. Sabha, “A Survey On Mobile Multimedia Application Development Frameworks”.
3. J. Dehlinger and J. Dixon, “Mobile Application Software Engineering: Challenges and Research Directions”, Department of Computer and Information Sciences, Towson University.
4. B. Shneiderman, “Designing the user interface,” 1987.
5. A. Battestini, C. Del Rosso, A Flanagan, M. Miettinen, “Creating Next Generation Applications and Services for Mobile Devices: Challenges and Opportunities”, The 18th Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC’07).
6. J. Whittle, P. Sawyer, N. Bencomo, B. H.C. Chengand J. Bruel, “RELAX: Incorporating Uncertainty into the Specification of Self-Adaptive Systems”, 2009 17th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference.
7. V.C. Kulloli , A. Pohare#2, S. Raskar#2, T. Bhattacharyya , S. Bhure, “Cross Platform Mobile Application Development”. International Journal of Computer Trends and Technology (IJCTT) - volume4 Issue5–May 2013.
8. To program for which smartphones? http://www.scriptol. com/programming/mobile.php(accessed 5-12-2014)
9. 5 Key Programming Languages for Mobile Developers, http://www.appia.com/blog/key-programming-languagesfor-mobile-developers(accessed 2-11-2014)
10. G. Vitols, I. Smits And A. Zacepins, “Issues of Hybrid Mobile Application Development with PhoneGap: a Case Study of Insurance Mobile Application”, Databases And Information Systems H.-M. Haav, A. Kalja and T. Robal (Eds.) Proc. of the 11th International Baltic Conference, Baltic DBandIS 2014.
11. H. Heitk¨otter, S. Hanschke, and T.A. Majchrzak, “Evaluating Cross-Platform Development Approaches for Mobile Applications”, Department of Information Systems University of M¨unster, M¨unster, Germany.
12. Seven Cross-Platform Mobile Development Tools, https:// www.udemy.com/blog/cross-platform-mobile-development/(accessed 1-11-2014)
13. Native Versus Hybrid Mobile App Development, http://appscend.com/blog/native-versus-hybrid-mobile-app-development/(accessed 20-11-2014)
14. L. Corral, A. Sillitti, G. Succi, “Mobile multiplatform development: An experiment for performance analysis”, The 9th International Conference on Mobile Web Information Systems (MobiWIS).
15. RhoMobile, http://rhomobile.com/rhoelements.html (accessed 23-11-2014)
16. Appcelerator, http://www.appcelerator.com/(accessed 23- 11-2014)
17. I. Dalmasso, S. K. Datta, C. Bonnet, N. Nikaein , “Survey, Comparison and Evaluation of Cross Platform Mobile Application Development Tools”, Mobile Communication Department, EURECOM Sophia Antipolis, France
18. Sencha Products, http://www.sencha.com/products/(accessed 24-11-2014)
19. Touch 2.0.2 Sencha Docs,http://docs.sencha.com/ touch/2.0.2/#!/guide/getting_started(accessed 25-11-2014)
20. JQuery mobile, http://jquerymobile.com/(accessed 28-11- 2014)
21. J. M. Wargo, “PhoneGap Essentials-Building Cross-Platform Mobile Apps”, ISBN 978-0-321-81429-6 (pbk.:alk. paper)
22. Phonegap ,http://phonegap.com/(accessed 10-12-2014)
23. Adobe® PhoneGap™ Build, Package mobile apps in the cloud. https://build.phonegap.com/(accessed 12-12-2014)
24. Adobe: “Adobe Announces Agreement to Acquire Nitobi” (2011), http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/ pressreleases/201110/AdobeAcquiresNitobi.html(accessed 12-12-2014)
25. Apache Cordova, http://incubator.apache.org/cordova/(accessed 20-12-2014)
26. PhoneGap: API reference, http://docs.phonegap.com/ en/1.8.0/index.html(accessed 10-12-2014)
27. Using PhoneGap for Hybrid App Development, http://www. sitepoint.com/using-phonegap-for-hybrid-app-development/ (accessed 5-1-2015)
28. PhoneGap: How to Create One App for All Platforms, http:// mobidev.biz/blog/phonegap_how_to_create_one_app_for_ all_platforms (accessed 5-1-2015)
29. Top 10 Performance Techniques for Phonegap Application, http://coenraets.org/keypoint/phonegap-performance/(accessed 13-2-2015)
30. Cross-Platform-Tool-Benchmarking-Report-2014, research2guidance, research2guidance, OranienburgerStrasse 27, 10117 Berlin, Germany
31. Phonegap Architecture http://www.mammoth.com.au/blog/ cross-platform-mobile-development-phonegap-vs-xamarin (accessed 13-2-2015)