IJCRR - Vol 08 Issue 02, January, 2016
RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CLINICALLY PALPABLE AXILLARY LYMPH NODE AND HISTOLOGICAL POSITIVITY FOR METASTASIS AND MANAGEMENT IN BREAST CANCER PATIENTS
Author: Deepak David S., Sadhan Kumar CH, T. Tirou Aroul, Robinson Smile
Aim: The aim of the present study was to find out the relationship between clinically palpable axillary lymph node and histological positivity for metastasis in patients with breast cancer. Method: This is a prospective study of 50 patients who underwent mastectomy with axillary clearance between august 2007 to august 2009 were evaluated. The clinically palpable lymph nodes, number of lymph node retrieved and histological positivity were studied. Results: Out of 50 patients, in 31(62%) patients axillary lymph node were palpable. The number of lymph nodes retrieved varied from 3-13. Among these patients with clinically palpable axillary lymph nodes, in 87% of patients these lymph nodes showed metastasis. Conclusion: Routine Axillary Lymph node dissection (ALND) in clinically node positive patients is useful for determining histological status and also as a therapeutic procedure.
Keywords: Axillary lymph nodal status, Routine Axillary Lymph node dissection
Deepak David S., Sadhan Kumar CH, T. Tirou Aroul, Robinson Smile. RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CLINICALLY PALPABLE AXILLARY LYMPH NODE AND HISTOLOGICAL POSITIVITY FOR METASTASIS AND MANAGEMENT IN BREAST CANCER PATIENTS International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 08 Issue 02, January, 33-35
1. Beenken SW, Urist MM, Zhang Y, Desmond R, Krontiras H, Medina H, et al. Axillary lymph node status, but not tumour size, predicts loco-regional recurrence and overall survival after mastectomy for breast cancer Ann.Surg. 2003;237:732-8
2. Sacks NPM, Baum M: Primary management of carcinoma breast Lancet 1993; 342:1402-1408
3. Deurloo EE, Tanis PJ, Gilhuijs KG. Muller SH, Kröger R, Peterse JL, Rutgers EJ, et al. Reduction in the number of sentinel lymph node procedure by preoperative ultrasonography of the axilla in breast cancer, Eur J cancer 2003;39(8):1068-73.
4. Lyman G.H, Giuliano AE, Somerfield MR, Benson AB, Bodurka DC, Burstein HJ et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology guideline recommendations for sentinel lymph node biopsy is early-stage breast cancer J.Chin oncol 2005;23(30):7703-20.
5. Fisher B, Wolmark N, Bauer M et al, The accuracy of clinical nodal staging and of limited axillary dissection as a determinant of histologic nodal status in carcinoma of breast. Sur Gynaec OBst 1981; 152 (6):765-72.
6. Specht Mc, Fey JV, Borgen PL, Naik AM et al. Is the clinically positive axilla in breast cancer really a contra indication to sentinel lymph node biopsy? J. Am. Coll. Surg. 2005; 200(1):10-14.
7. Axelsion CK, Rank F, Blicher Toft M, Mouriden HT, Jenson MB, Impact of axillary dissection on staging and regional centre in breast tumours < 10mm –The Danish breast cancer Cooperative Group (DBCG) Rigshsontalet, Copenhagen, Denmark Acta Oncol 2000;39:283-9.
8. Samphao S, Eremin JM, El-Sheemy M. Rodier JF, Velten M, Wilt M et al. Management of the axilla in women with breast cancer, current clinical practice and a new selective targeted approach. Ann Surg. Onco 2008; 15 (5):1282-96.
9. Parmar V, Badwe R, Tuttra I, Chinoy R, Hawaldav R. Sentinel node biopsy in operable breast cancer. Ind J Surg. 2003; 65:361- 365.
10. Forrest AP, Everington D, Mc Donald CC, Steele RJ, Chetty U, Steward HJ, The Edinburgh randomized trial of axillary sampling or clearness after mastectomy, Br. J. Surg. 1995;82:1504- 8.
11. Kutiyanawala MA, Sayed M, Scotter A, Windle R, Rew D. Staging the axilla in breast cancer and audit of lymph node retrieval in an UK regional centre. EUR J Surg Oncol 1998;24:280-2
12. NIH consensus conference. Treatment of early stage breast cancer. JAMA ; 1991:265(3):391-5
13. Boon, Owen U, Richard T, John B. Frequency and predictors of axillary lymph node metastasis in invasive breast cancer. ANZJ Surg. 2001; 71:723-728.
14. Orr R K, The impact of prophylactic axillary node dissection on breast cancer survival – a Bayesian Meta analysis. Ann Surg. Oncol 1999; 6(1):109-16.