IJCRR - Vol 08 Issue 02, January, 2016
INFLUENCE OF SMOKING CESSATION ON PERIODONTAL HEALTH: A STRATEGIC REVIEW
Author: Megha Varghese, Hima S. Lohi, Shyamala Devi M. P., Anila S.
Smoking is one of the major risk factor in the development and progression of periodontal disease. Recent evidences supports that smoking may also interact with other factors including genetics and diabetes potentiating periodontal breakdown. Hence quitting smoking is absolutely essential for the prevention of diseases, health enhancement and improving the healing potential before beginning treatments of diseases, including periodontitis. This literature review aims to give an insight about the influence of smoking cessation on oral micro flora, gingival blood flow, gingival crevicular fluid, plasma constituents, enzyme activity, immunologic function, bone loss and healing potential. Periodontal disease progression and its response to periodontal therapy and the success rate involved in implant placement subsequent to quitting the habit of smoking is also discussed in this review
Keywords: Bone loss, Periodontium, Smoking cessation, Wound healing
Megha Varghese, Hima S. Lohi, Shyamala Devi M. P., Anila S.. INFLUENCE OF SMOKING CESSATION ON PERIODONTAL HEALTH: A STRATEGIC REVIEW International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 08 Issue 02, January, 07-13
1. Usha Saha-Tobacco interventions and anesthesia- A review. Indian Journal of Anesthesia 2009; 53(5):618-627.
2. Georgia K. Johnson and Janet M. Guthmiller- The impact of cigarette smoking on periodontal disease and treatment. Periodontology 2000; 44, 2007, 178-194.
3. Sinha DN, Guptha PC, Pendnekar MS. Tobacco use among students in the eight north-eastern states of India. Indian J Cancer 2003; 2:43-59.
4. Preetha EC, Tobacco control in India. Indian J Dent Res 2007; 18(1):2-5.
5. Georgia KJ, Margaret H. Cigarette smoking and the periodontal patient. State of the Art Review. J Periodontol 2004; 75:196-209.
6. Russell MA, “The nicotine addiction trap: A 40 year sentence for cigarettes.” British Journal of Addiction Feb 1990 85(2):293-300.
7. DiFranza JR et al; "Tobacco Acquisition and cigarette Brand selection among youth" Tobacco control, 1994 3:334-38.
8. Hogan MJ, “Adolescent Medicine: Diagnosis and treatment of teen drug use”. The medical clinics of North America, 2000 84(4):927-66.
9. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration,(SAMSHA), HHS, results from the 2008 National Survey on Drug use and Health, NSDUH: Detailed tables http://www.oas.Samsha.gov/NSDUH/2K8NSDUH/Tabs/Sect Tabs10-11 pdf.
10. DiFranza et al "Measuring the loss of anatomy over nicotine use in adolescents: the DANDY (Development and Assessment of Nicotine Dependence in Youths) study" Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 2002, 156(4):397-403.
11. Michiya Kubota, Mariko Tanno-Nakanishi, Satoru Yamada, Katsuji Okuda, Kazuyuki Ishihara. Effect of smoking on subgingival microflora of patients with periodontitis in Japan. BMC Oral Health 2011, 11:1
12. van Winkelhoff, A. J., C. J. Bosch-Tijhof, E. G. Winkel, and W. A. van der Reijden. Smoking affects the subgingival microflora in periodontitis. J. Periodontol.2001 72: 666-671
13. Zambon, J. J., S. G. Grossi, E. E. Machtei, A. W. Ho, R. Dunford, and R. J. Genco. Cigarette smoking increases the risk for subgingival infection with periodontal pathogens. J. Periodontol. 1996; 67:1050-1054.
14. Haffajee, A. D., and S. S. Socransky. Relationship of cigarette smoking to the subgingival microbiota. J. Clin. Periodontol.2001; 28:377-388.
15. Stoltenberg, J. L., J. B. Osborn, B. L. Pihlstrom, M. C. Herzberg, D. M. Aeppli, L. F. Wolff, and G. E. Fischer. Association between cigarette smoking, bacterial pathogens, and periodontal status. J. Periodontol.1993; 64: 1225-1230.
16. Kumar, P. S., A. L. Griffen, M. L. Moeschberger, and E. J. Leys. Identification of candidate periodontal pathogens and beneficial species by quantitative 16S clonal analysis. J. Clin. Microbiol. 2005; 43: 3944-3955.
17. Paster, B. J., S. K. Boches, J. L. Galvin, R. E. Ericson, C. N. Lau, V. A. Levanos, A. Sahasrabudhe, and F. E. Dewhirst. Bacterial diversity in human subgingival plaque. J. Bacteriol. 200;1 183:3770-3783.
18. Suzanne L. Delima, Robert K. McBride, Philip M. Preshaw, Peter A. Heasman, and Purnima S. Kumar. Response of subgingival bacteria to smoking cessation. J Clin Microbiol 2010; 48: 2344-2349.
19. Fullmer S. C, Preshaw P M, Heasman P A, Kumar P S. Smoking cessation alters subgingival microbial recolonization. J Dent Res. 2009;88(6):524-8.
20. Meekin. T. N, Wilson R. F, Scott D. A, Ide M. and Palmer, R. M. Laser Doppler flowmeter measurement of relative gingival and forehead skin blood flow in light and heavy smokers during and after smoking. J Clin Periodontol 2000 27, 236–242.
21. Persson. L, Bergstrom. J, Gustafsson A., Asman B. Tobacco smoking and gingival neutrophil activity in young adults. J Clin Periodontol 1999 26, 9–13.
22. Antonios Mavropoulos, Pal Brodin, Cassioano Kuchenbecker Rosing, Anne Merete and Harald Aars Gingival blood flow in periodontitis patients before and after periodontal surgery assessed in smokers and nonsmokers. J Clin Periodontol 2007; 78; 1774-1782.
23. Mc Laughlin WS, Lovat FM, Macgregor IDM and Kelly PJ. The immediate effects of smoking on gingival flow. J Clin Periodontol 1993; 20; 448-451.
24. Morozumi T, Kubota T, Sato T, Okuda K, Yoshie H: Smoking cessation increases gingival blood flow and gingival crevicular fluid. J Clin Periodontol 2004; 31: 267-272.
25. Nair P, Sutherland G, Palmer RM, Wilson RF, Scott DA. Gingival bleeding on probing increases after quitting smoking. J Clin Periodontol 2003; 30: 435–437.
26. Zhou JF, Yan XF, Guo FZ, Sun NY, Qian ZJ, Ding DY. Effects of cigarette smoking and smoking cessation on plasma constituents and enzyme activities related to oxidative stress. Biomedical and Environmental Sciences : BES 2000; 13: 44-55.
27. Hersey P, Prendergast D, Edwards A. Effects of cigarette smoking on the immune system. Follow-up studies in normal subjects after cessation of smoking. Med J Aust. 1983 ;2: 425-9.
28. Meliska CJ, Stunkard ME, Gilbert DG, Jensen RA, Martinko JM. Immune function in cigarette smokers who quit smoking for 31 days. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1995 95(4):901-10.
29. Ioka A1, Nakamura M, Shirokawa N, Kinoshita T, Masui S, Imai K, Nakachi K, Oshima A. Natural killer activity and its changes among participants in a smoking cessation intervention program--a prospective pilot study of 6 months’ duration. J Epidemiol. 2001 11(5):238-42.
30. Morozumi T, Kubota T, Sugita N, Itagaki M, Yoshie. Alterations of gene expression in human neutrophils induced by smoking cessation. J Clin Periodontol 2004; 31: 1110–1116.
31. Bergstrom J, Eliasson S. Cigarette smoking and alveolar bone height in subjects with a high standard of oral hygiene. J Clin Periodontol 1987;14:466-9.
32. Levin L, Schwartz-Arad D. The effects of cigarette smoking on dental implants and related surgery. Implant Dent 2005;14:357- 63.
33. Jansson L, Lavstedt S. Influence of smoking on marginal bone loss and tooth loss– a prospective study over 20years. J Clin Periodontol 2002; 29: 750–756.
34. Noble RC, Penny BB. Comparison of leukocyte count and function in smoking and non-smoking young men. Infect Immun 1975;12:550-5.
35. Lawrence WT, Murphy RC, Robson MC, Heggers JP. The detrimental effect of cigarette smoking on flap survival: An experimental study in the rat. Br J Plast Surg 1984;37:216-9.
36. Sørensen LT. Wound healing and infection in surgery: the pathophysiological impact of smoking, smoking cessation, and nicotine replacement therapy: a systematic review. Ann Surg. 2012 6:1069-79.
37. Grossi S G, Zambon J, Machtei E E, Schifferle R, Andreana S, Genco R J, Cummins D, Harrap G. Effects of smoking and smoking cessation on healing after mechanical periodontal therapy. J Am Dent Assoc. 1997; 128(5):599-607.
38. T. Thomsen, H. Tønnesen and A. M. Møller. Effect of preoperative smoking cessation interventions on postoperative complications and smoking cessation. British Journal of Surgery 2009; 96: 451-461.
39. Møller AM, Villebro N, Pedersen T, Tønnesen H. Effect of preoperative smoking intervention on postoperative complications: a randomised clinical trial. Lancet. 2002 Jan 12;359(9301):114-7.
40. Tiago Fiorini, Marta Liliana Musskopf, Rui Vicente Oppermann, Cristiano Susin. Is There a Positive Effect of Smoking Cessation on Periodontal Health? A Systematic Review. J Periodontol 2014; 85(1): 83-91.
41. Preshaw P M, Heasman L, Stacey F, Steen N, McCracken GI, Heasman PA. The effect of quitting smoking on chronic periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 2005; 32(8): 869-79.
42. Nasry HA, Preshaw PM, Stacey F, Heasman L, Swan M, Heasman PA. Smoking cessation advice for patients with chronic periodontitis. Br Dent J. 2006 11;200(5):272-5.
43. Haas R, Haimbock W, Mailath G, Watzek G. The relationship of smoking on peri-implant tissue:a retrospective study. J Prosthet Dent 1996;76:592-6.
44. Crawford A Bain. Smoking and implant failure-benefits of smoking cessation protocol. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1996;11:756-759.
45. Synder HB, Caughman G, Lewis J, Billman MA, Schuster G. Nicotine modulation of in vitro human gingival fibroblast γ1 integrin expression. J Periodontol 2002;73:505-10.