IJCRR - 8(2), January, 2016
KNOWLEDGE ATTITUDE AND PRACTICES TOWARDS PRINCIPLES OF RESEARCH AMONG MEDICAL POSTGRADUATES IN A TEACHING TERTIARY CARE CENTRE
Author: Madhavrao C., Mythili Bai K., Rema Menon N., Sharath Babu K., Prathab Asir A.
Aim and Objectives: To evaluate the KAP towards principles of research in medical postgraduates in a teaching tertiary care centre. Materials and Methods: After obtaining approval from the IHEC and valid informed consent, the participants were recruited into the study. The study included 26 medical postgraduates from different disciples and who were asked to fill the pre-validated structured questionnaire on principles of research. The study was conducted during the period of January 2014- March 2015. The collected data from questionnaire forms were entered into Microsoft office excel 2007 and was expressed in frequency and percentage. Results: It was observed that more than 50% of study participants were able to answer the correct response for questions on knowledge about the principles of research. Majority of the study participants [88.46%] were able to mark the correct response for the definition of research. The study also showed that attitude towards research among medical postgraduates was positive with 92.31% were opined to have or undergo seminars/ workshops/CME to update their knowledge on principles of research periodically. However the practice towards principle of research seems to be not satisfactory. It was noticed that only 7.69% of study participants had experience in sending the manuscript for publication in peer reviewed journals. Conclusion: There was good knowledge and positive attitude, with poor practices towards principles of research among medical postgraduates.
Keywords: KAP, Research, Postgraduates, Medical, Tertiary care centre
Madhavrao C., Mythili Bai K., Rema Menon N., Sharath Babu K., Prathab Asir A.. KNOWLEDGE ATTITUDE AND PRACTICES TOWARDS PRINCIPLES OF RESEARCH AMONG MEDICAL POSTGRADUATES IN A TEACHING TERTIARY CARE CENTRE International Journal of Current Research and Review. 8(2), January, 01-06
1. Khan H, Khawaja MR, Waheed A, Rauf MA, Fatmi Z. Knowledge and attitudes about health research amongst a group of Pakistani medical students. Bio Med Central Med Educ 2006;6(54):1-7.
2. Gore AD, Kadam YR, Chavan PV, Dhumale GB. Application of biostatistics in research by teaching faculty and final year postgraduate students in colleges of modern medicine: A crosssectional study. Int J Appl Basic Med Res 2012;2:11-6.
3. Leahy N, Sheps J, Tracy CS, Nie JX, Moineddin R, Upshur REG. Family physicians’ attitudes toward education in research skills during residency. Can Fam Physician 2008;54:413-4.e1-5.
4. Sumi E, Murayama T, Yokode M. A survey of attitudes toward clinical research among physicians at Kyoto University Hospital. Bio Med Central Med Educ 2009;9(75):1-7.
5. Zambudio AR, Gascón FS, Moro LG, Fernández MG. Research training during medical residency (MIR). Satisfaction questionnaire. Rev Esp Enferm Dig 2004;96:695-704.
6. Khan N, Mumtaz Y. Attitude of teaching faculty towards statistics at a medical university in Karachi, Pakistan. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2009;21:166-71.
7. Khan H, Khan S, Iqbal A. Knowledge, attitudes and practices around health research: the perspective of physicians-in-training in Pakistan. Bio Med Central Med Educ 2009;9(46):1-8.
8. West CP, Ficalora RD. Clinician Attitudes Toward Biostatistics. Mayo Clin Proc 2007;82:939-43.
9. Pawar DB, Gawde SR, Marathe PA. Awareness about medical research among resident doctors in a tertiary care hospital: A cross-sectional survey. Perspectives Clin Res 2012;3:57-61.
10. Ganguly NK. Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research on Human Participants. 1st ed. New Delhi: Indian Council of Medical Research; 2006. p. 1-107.
11. M.D./M.S. Regulations April 2015 onwards. The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R Medical University [Online]. 2015 February 24 [cited 2015 February 24]; Available from: URL:http://www.web. tnmgrmu.ac.in/index.php/syllabus-and-regulations/192-navigation-block-1/syllabus-and-regulations/629
12. Medical Council of India Salient Features of Postgraduate Medical Education Regulations, 2000. [Online]. 2015 January 19 [cited 2015 January 19]; Available from: URL:http://www. mciindia.org/RulesandRegulations/PGMedicalEducationRegulations2000.aspx