IJCRR - Vol 08 Issue 03, February, 2016
4'-THIODNA: UNEXPECTED BEHAVIOUR
Author: Mohamed I. Elzagheid
This viewpoint briefly discusses the impact of 4’-thiosubstitution on oligonucleotides behaviour. The study in the reviewed articles has shown unexpected A-form formation, and unexpected RNA-like behaviour of the 4’-thioDNA. This has been confirmed by the unexpected interaction of 4’-thioDNA with Lividomycin A, a RNA major groove binder, and by resistance to cleavage by DNase I, which is a DNA-specific endonuclease. 4’-ThioDNAwas also recognized by RNase V1 which is a RNA-specific endonuclease. These all findings will trigger the main focus of this viewpoint.
Keywords: Nucleic acids, ThioDNAs, 4’-ThioDNAs Structure and Properties
Mohamed I. Elzagheid. 4'-THIODNA: UNEXPECTED BEHAVIOUR International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 08 Issue 03, February, 33-35
1. Inoue N, Minakawa N, and Matsuda A. Synthesis and properties of 4’-thioDNA: unexpected RNA-like behaviour of 4’-thioDNA. Nucleic Acids Res 2006; 34: 3476–83.
2. Matsugami A, Ohyama T, Inada M, Inoue N, Minakawa N, Matsuda A, and Katahira M. Unexpected A-form formation of 4’-thioDNA in solution, revealed by NMR, and the implication as to the mechanism of nuclease resistance. Nucleic Acids Res2008; 36: 1805–12.
3. Otter G P, Elzagheid M I, Jones G D, MacCulloch A C, Walker R T, Oivanen M, and Klika K D. Synthesis and hydrolytic stability of α and β anomers of 4’-thio-2’-deoxyuridine and their 5-substituted analogues. Competition between the acid-catalysed depyrimidination and isomerisation to a 5-thiopyranoside nucleoside. J Am Soc, Perkin Trans 2 1998; 11: 2343-49, and references therein.
4. Elzagheid M I, Oivanen M, Walker R T, and Secrist III J A. Kinetics for the acid-catalysed hydrolysis of purine and cytosine2’- deoxy-4’-thionucleosides.Nucleosides Nucleotides 1999; 18: 181-86.
5. Elzagheid M I, Introduction to Macromolecule Chemistry, Book Code 559, Jubail Industrial College, Media Resources, Print shop, KSA, 2009, p. 39-41.
6. Hancox E L, Connolly B A, and Walker R T. Synthesis and properties of oligonucleotides containing the analogue 2’-deoxy-4’-thiothymidine. Nucleic Acids Res 1993; 21: 3485–91.
7. Kumar S, Horton J R, Jones G D, Walker R T, Robert R J, and Cheng X. DNA containing 4-thio-2’-deoxycytidine inhibits methylation by methyltransferase. Nucleic Acids Res 1997; 25: 2773–83.
8. Jones G D, Lesnik E A, Owens S R, Risen L M, and Walker R T. Investigation of some properties of oligodeoxy- nucleotides containing 4’thio-2’-deoxynucleotides: duplex hybridization and nuclease sensitivity. Nucleic Acids Res 1996; 24: 4117–22.
9. Jones G D, Altmann K H, Husken D, and Walker R T. Duplexand triplex-forming properties of 4’-thio-modified oligodeoxynucleotides. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 1997; 7: 1275–78.
10. Saenger W, Principles of Nucleic Acid Structure Springer-Verlag Inc., New York, 1983.
11. Johnson C W Jr. Determination of the Conformations of Nucleic Acids by Electronic CD in Fasman, G.D. (Ed). Circular Dichroism and the Conformational Analysis of Biomolecules, Plenum Press, NY, 1996; 433–68.
12. Kopka M L, Fratini A V, Drew H R, and Dickerson R E. Ordered water structure around a B-DNA dodecamer. A quantitative study. J Mol Biol 1983; 163: 129–46.
13. Shaw J P, Kent K, Bird J, Fishback J, and Froehler B. Modified oligodeoxynucleotides stable to exonuclease degradation in serum. Nucleic Acids Res 1991; 19: 747–50.
14. Lockard R E and Kumar A. Mapping tRNA structure in solution using double-strand-specific ribonuclease V1 from cobra venom. Nucleic Acids Res 1981; 9: 5125–40.