IJCRR - 8(3), February, 2016
SERUM LACTATE DEHYDROGENASE LEVELS IN GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT CARCINOMA PATIENTS BEFORE AND AFTER SURGERY
Author: V. Bhagyalakshmi, N. Sundara Veena, C. H. Ratna Kumar, G. V. Benerji, M. Jaiprakash Babu
Background and Objectives: To study the role of Serum Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH) as a diagnostic parameter in gastrointestinal tract (GIT) carcinoma patients. To compare the level of serum Lactate Dehydrogenase in metastatic and non metastatic Gastrointestinal tract carcinoma patients. To evaluate preoperative and post operative serum Lactate Dehydrogenase level in Gastrointestinal tract carcinoma patients. Materials and Methods: Studied 20 patients of Gastrointestinal tract carcinoma admitted in surgical ward were selected for study group. Out of 20 patients, 15 patients were Gastrointestinal tract carcinoma without metastasis. 5 patients were Gastrointestinal tract carcinoma with metastasis. 20 healthy individuals were included in the control group. The correlation of serum Lactate Dehydrogenase levels in pre operative and post operative Gastrointestinal tract carcinoma patients were studied. Results: Serum Lactate Dehydrogenase levels were elevated in pre operative GIT carcinoma patients with and without metastasis. Serum Lactate Dehydrogenase levels were decreased in post operative patients of Gastrointestinal tract carcinoma without metastasis but elevated in postoperative patients with metastasis. Conclusion: The study showed serum Lactate Dehydrogenase as an independent diagnostic and prognostic bio marker.
Keywords: GIT carcinoma, Lactate Dehydrogenase, Metastasis
V. Bhagyalakshmi, N. Sundara Veena, C. H. Ratna Kumar, G. V. Benerji, M. Jaiprakash Babu. SERUM LACTATE DEHYDROGENASE LEVELS IN GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT CARCINOMA PATIENTS BEFORE AND AFTER SURGERY International Journal of Current Research and Review. 8(3), February, 23-27
1. Atrkar-Roushan Z, Kazemnejad A, Mansour-Ghanaei F, and Zayeri F. Trend analysis of gastrointestinal cancer incidences in guilan province: comparing rates over 15 years. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 2013;14(12):7587–7593.
2. Russell J Erickson. Lactic dehydrogenase activity of effusion fluids as an aid to differentiate diagnosis. JAMA 1961 Jun3;176(9):794-796.
3. Morton K Schwartz. Enzymes as prognostic markers and therapeutic indicators in patients with cancer. clinica chimica acta 1992 Mar13;206: 77-82.
4. Bidart JM, Thuillier F, Augereau C, Chalas J, Daver A, Jacob N, Labrousse F, Voitot H. Kinetics of serum tumor marker concentrations and usefulness in clinical monitoring. Clin Chem. 1999 Oct; 45(10):1695-707.
5. Patel PS, Rawal GN, Balar DB. Combined use of serum enzyme levels as tumor markers in cervical carcinoma patients. Tumour Biol. 1994; 15(1):45-51.
6. Kolev Y, Uetake H, Takagi Y, Sugihara K. Lactate dehydrogenase-5 (LDH-5) expression in human gastric cancer: association with hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF-1alpha) pathway, angiogenic factors production and poor prognosis. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008 Aug;15(8):2336-44.
7. Koukourakis MI, Giatromanolaki A, Sivridis E, Bougioukas G, Didilis V, Gatter KC, Harris AL. Lactate dehydrogenase-5 (LDH-5) overexpression in non-small-cell lung cancer tissues is linked to tumour hypoxia, angiogenic factor production and poor prognosis, Tumour and Angiogenesis Research Group. Br J Cancer. 2003 Sep 1; 89(5):877-85.
8. Füssenich LM, Desar IM, Peters ME, Teerenstra S, van der Graaf WT, Timmer-Bonte JN, van Herpen CM. A new, simple and objective prognostic score for phase I cancer patients. Eur J Cancer 2011 May; 47(8):1152-60.
9. Arkenau HT, Barriuso J, Olmos D, Ang JE, de Bono J, Judson I, Kaye S Prospective validation of a prognostic score to improve patient selection for oncology phase I trials.. J Clin Oncol. 2009 Jun 1; 27(16):2692-6.
10. Kunz PL, Gubens M, Fisher GA, Ford JM, Lichtensztajn DY and Clarke CA. Long-term survivors of gastric cancer: a California population-based study. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2012; 30(28):3507–3515.
11. Guo Li, Jin Gao, Ya-Lan Tao, Bing-Qing Xu, Zi-Wei Tu, ZhiGang Liu et al. Increased pretreatment levels of serum LDH and ALP as poor prognostic factors for nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Cancer. 2012 Apr; 31(4): 197–206.
12. Lee H, Yuh Y, Kim S. Serum lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) level as a prognostic factor for the patients with advanced gastric cancer Sanggyepaik Hospital, Seoul, Republic of Korea. J Clin Oncol 2009;27.
13. Kemeny N et al. Prognostic factors in advanced colorectal carcinoma, Importance of lactic dehydrogenase level, performance status and white blood cell count. AM J Med 1983.
14. Michael I Koukourakis et al. Prognostic and predictive role of LDH5 expression in colorectal cancer patients treated with PTK 787/2K 222584 anti angiogenic therapy. Clin Cancer Res 2011 Jul 15;17:4892-4900.
15. Najib R et al. P-O 217-Prognostic factors in colorectal cancer, serum LDH Levels predict survival in metastatic disease. Annals of oncology 2014;25(2).
16. Ghool AM et al. A comparative study of LDH and PchE in sera of cancer patients , a preliminary report . Indian J .cancer 1980;17:31-3.
17. Cornelia Hoch ligeti et al. Effect of malignant growth on the organ lactic dehydrogenase in the human. cancer 2006 Jun 23;18(9).
18. Nyandieka HS. Influence of therapeutic radiation on serum enzyme levels in patients with cancer of thoracic esophagus . Indian J. Med. Res. 1984 jun;794-800.