IJCRR - 8(4), February, 2016
THE EFFECT OF MUCUNA PRURIENS SEED EXTRACT ON PANCREAS AND LIVER OF DIABETIC WISTAR RATS
Author: Rajesh R., S. Arunchandra Singh, K. Anandraj Vaithy, K. Manimekalai, Dhananjay Kotasthane, S. S. Rajasekar
Aims and Objectives: The study was to evaluate the remedial effect of alcohol extract of Mucuna pruriens seeds on pancreas and liver of Streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Materials and Method: Five day old neonate wistar rats (n -24) were used for the study. Out of this, 6 rats were kept as Normal control i.e. Group A. Remaining 18 rats were made diabetic by intraperitoneal injection of streptozotocin (65mg/kg body weight). After 12 weeks, they were divided equally into 3 groups i.e. Group B - Diabetic control, Group C- Mucuna Pruriens group (200mg/kg), Group D - Glibenclamide group (1 mg/kg body weight). Drugs were administered orally for 28 days in group C and D. Blood Glucose Level was monitored once in a week during this period. On completion of drug treatment period, animals were sacrificed for the collection of blood and visceral organs to carry out histological and biochemical investigations. Results: The Mucuna Pruriens seed extract (200mg/kg) were effectively controlled blood glucose levels in diabetic rats. Serum insulin and cholesterol levels were significantly improved when compared to diabetic group (p >0.05). In pancreas, the islets showed increase in beta cell mass and reduced necrotic changes. Liver functions were partially restored and hepatocytes showed minimal necrotic changes. Conclusion: Mucuna pruriens seeds are capable of exerting positive structural changes in pancreas & liver through its antioxidant and antidiabetic properties.
Keywords: Glibenclamide, Islets of langerhans, Intraperitoneal, H&E staining
Rajesh R., S. Arunchandra Singh, K. Anandraj Vaithy, K. Manimekalai, Dhananjay Kotasthane, S. S. Rajasekar. THE EFFECT OF MUCUNA PRURIENS SEED EXTRACT ON PANCREAS AND LIVER OF DIABETIC WISTAR RATS International Journal of Current Research and Review. 8(4), February, 61-67
1. Soumya D, Sreelatha S. Late Stage Complications of Diabetes and Insulin Resistance. J Diabetes Metab. 2011 Dec 25;2(9):PP 2:167.
2. Ahmed AM. History of diabetes mellitus. Saudi Med J. 2002 Apr;23(4):373-8.
3. Lakhtakia R. The History of Diabetes Mellitus. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2013 Aug;13(3):368-70.
4. Cerf ME. Beta Cell Dysfunction and Insulin Resistance. Front Endocrinol [Internet]. 2013
5. Ginter E, Simko V. Global prevalence and future of diabetes mellitus. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2012;771:35-41.
6. Teoh SL, Latiff AA, Das S. A histological study of the structural changes in the liver of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats treated with or without Momordica charantia (bitter gourd). Clin Ter. 2009;160(4):283-6.
7. Shetty AK, Kumar GS, Sambaiah K, Salimath PV. Effect of bitter gourd (Momordica charantia) on glycaemic status in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Plant Foods Hum Nutr Dordr Neth. 2005 Sep;60(3):109-12.
8. Abdollahi M, Zuki ABZ, Goh YM, Rezaeizadeh A, Noordin MM. Effects of Momordica charantia on pancreatic histopathological changes associated with streptozotocin-induced diabetes in neonatal rats. Histol Histopathol. 2011 Jan;26(1):13-21.
9. Gupta RN, Pareek A, Suthar M, Rathore GS, Basniwal PK, Jain D. Study of glucose uptake activity of Helicteres isora Linn. fruits in L-6 cell lines. Int J Diabetes Dev Ctries. 2009;29(4):170-3.
10. F Waer H. Cytological and Histochemical Studies in Rat Liver and Pancreas during Progression of Streptozotocin Induced Diabetes and Possible Protection of Certain Natural Antioxidants. J Nutr Food Sci.Vol. 2(9); 2012: 112-125.
11. Jelodar GA, Maleki M, Motadayen MH, Sirus S. Effect of fenugreek, onion and garlic on blood glucose and histopathology of pancreas of alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Indian J Med Sci. 2005 Feb;59(2):64–69.
12. Majekodunmi SO, Oyagbemi AA, Umukoro S, Odeku OA. Evaluation of the anti-diabetic properties of Mucuna pruriens seed extract. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2011 Aug;4(8):632-6.
13. Dalal PK, Tripathi A, Gupta SK. Vajikarana: Treatment of sexual dysfunctions based on Indian concepts. Indian J Psychiatry. 2013 Jan;55(Suppl 2):S273-6.
14. Muthu, Krishnamoorthy. Evaluation of androgenic activity of Mucuna pruriens in male rats. Afr J Biotechnol. 2011 Oct 26;10(66):15017-9.
15. Suresh S, Prithiviraj E, Lakshmi NV, Ganesh MK, Ganesh L, Prakash S. Effect of Mucuna pruriens (Linn.) on mitochondrial dysfunction and DNA damage in epididymal sperm of streptozotocin induced diabetic rat. J Ethnopharmacol. 2013 Jan 9;145(1):32-41.
16. Dart RC, editor. Medical toxicology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins; 2004. 1914 p.
17. Manyam BV, Dhanasekaran M, Hare TA. Neuroprotective effects of the antiparkinson drug Mucuna pruriens. Phytother Res. 2004 Sep;18(9):706-12.
18. Eleazu C, Eleazu K, Chukwuma S, Essien U. Review of the mechanism of cell death resulting from streptozotocin challenge in experimental animals, its practical use and potential risk to humans. J Diabetes Metab Disord. 2013;12(1):60.
19. Srinivasan K, Ramarao P. Animal models in type 2 diabetes research: an overview. Indian J Med Res. 2007 Mar;125(3):451- 72.
20. Aberare O, Okuonghae P, Mukoro N, Dirisu J, Osazuwa F, Odigie E, et al. Triglycerides, total cholesterol, high density lipoprotein cholesterol and low density lipoprotein cholesterol in rats exposed to premium motor spirit fumes. North Am J Med Sci. 2011;277-80.
21. Proks P, Reimann F, Green N, Gribble F, Ashcroft F. Sulfonylurea stimulation of insulin secretion. Diabetes. 2002 Dec;51 Suppl 3:S368–76.
22. Mountjoy KG, Finlay GJ, Holdaway IM. Effects of metformin and glibenclamide on insulin receptors in fibroblasts and tumor cells in vitro. J Endocrinol Invest. 1987 Dec;10(6):553-7.
23. Donati D, Pagani R, Guerranti R, Cinci G, Marinello E. Antidiabetic oligocyclitols in seeds of Mucuna pruriens. Phytother Res. Dec2005;19;(19(12))::1057-60.
24. Enechi, Ozougwu. Effects of ethanol extract of Mucuna pruriens leaves on the lipid profile and serum electrolytes of rats. 9(2):PP 18-23.
25. Bhaskar A, Vidhya VG, Ramya M. Hypoglycemic effect of Mucuna pruriens seed extract on normal and streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Fitoterapia. 2008 Dec;79(7-8):539-43.
27. Lampariello LR, Cortelazzo A, Guerranti R, Sticozzi C, Valacchi G. The Magic Velvet Bean of Mucuna pruriens. J Tradit Complement Med. 2012 Oct;2(4):331-9.
28. Bhaskar A, Nithya V, Vidhya VG. Phytochemical evaluation by GC-MS and anti hyperglycemic activity of Mucuna pruriens on Streptozotocininduced diabetes in rats. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research 2011; 3(5): 689-696
29. Portha B, Blondel O, Serradas P. The rat models of non-insulin 10. dependent diabetes induced by neonatal streptozotocin. Diabet Metab1989; 15 : 61-75. 29.
30. Liu Y, Xu X, Bi D, Wang X, Zhang X, Dai H.Influence of squalene feeding on plasma leptin,testosterone and blood pressure in rats. Indian Journal of Medical Research 2009; 129: 150-153.