IJCRR - 8(4), February, 2016
ASSESSMENT OF GROUND WATER QUALITY OF PEESANGAN BLOCK OF AJMER DISTRICT
Author: Priyanka Khanna, Nidhi Rai
Physicochemical study of the ground water of some rural areas of Peesangan Block of Ajmer district has been carried out to examine the suitability of water for drinking, irrigation and other domestic purposes. Water samples from these areas were collected during Pre-Monsoon (April-June) and Post monsoon seasons (Oct-Dec) of the year 2013. The data were analyzed for mainly Electrical Conductivity (EC), Total Dissolve Solids (TDS), Chloride (Cl-), Fluoride (F-), Nitrate (NO3-), Total Hardness, Alkalinity, Sodium (Na+), Potassium(K+), Carbonates(CO3-2), Bicarbonates (HCO-3) etc. with reference to BIS and WHO standards. It has been observed that most of the water samples have the concentration of different parameters beyond the permissible limits. The groundwater of the present study area was not found suitable for drinking and other domestic purpose.
Keywords: Ground water of rural area, Physicochemical characteristics, Drinking water, Water pollution.
Priyanka Khanna, Nidhi Rai. ASSESSMENT OF GROUND WATER QUALITY OF PEESANGAN BLOCK OF AJMER DISTRICT International Journal of Current Research and Review. 8(4), February, 39-46
1. Rijsberman, F. R. Agricultural Water Management, 2006, 80(1- 3), 5.
2. Burjia, J.S.; Romani, S.. Groundwater Development–Present scenario and future needs. Indian J. Pub. Adm. 2003, XLIX(3), 301. CPCB, Water Quality, Parivesh, 1995, 1(4), 6.
3. Abraham BairuGebrehiwot; NataTadesse; Elias Jigar. ISABB J. Food and Agriculture Sci.,2011, 1(1), 22.
4. Gupta S, Kumar A, Ojha C K and Singh G, 2004, Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering. 46(1), pp7478.
5. Lakshmanan, E; Kannan, K.; Senthil, M.K. Indian J. Env. Geosciences,2003, 10(4),157.
6. Kalavathy, S; RakeshSharmas, R; Sureshkumar, P. Arch. Environ.Sci., 2011, 5, 55.
7. APHA. 2005, Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water (2st Ed.), American Public Health Association, Washington.
8. BIS. 2003, Indian standards specifications for drinking water, IS:10500, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
9. ICMR, 1975, Manual of standards of quality for drinking water supplies, Special report series no. 44, Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi.
10. D. Fairchild, Lewis Publication. Chelsea, Michigan., 1987, 402,161-174.
11. A.T. Ajao, G. B. Adebayo and S. E. Yakubu J. Microbiol. Biotech. Res., 2011, 1 (3), 50-56
12. WHO. 2005, International standards for drinking water, World Health Organisation, Geneva.
13. Vogel, A. I.; A textbook of Quantitative Inorganic Analysis Including Elementary Instrumental Analysis ,4th Ed., The English Language Book Society and Langman Co., 1978, 504-506.
14. Vasanthavigar, M; Srinivasamoorthy, K; Vijayaragavan, K; Gandhi, R; Chidambaram, S; Anandhan, P;Manivannan,R and Vasudevan.S, Environ Monitoring Assess.,2010, DOI 10.1007/ s10661-009-1302-1.
15. Tiwari, T.N.; Das, S.C.; Bose, P.K. Poll. Res., 1986, 5, 1.
16. Chatterjee, R; Gourab, T.; Paul,S. Bull. Eng. Geol. Environ., 2010, 69, 137.
17. Sudhir Dahiya and Amarjeet Kaur, 1999, J Environ Pollution, 6 (4), 281.
18. Garrels, R.M.;Christ, C.L. Solutions minerals and equilibrium, New York: Harper and Row,1965, 450.
19. Rao, S.N. Studies on water quality index in hard rock terrain of Guntur district Andhara Pradhesh, India. National Seminar on Hydrology of Precambrian Terrains and Hard Rock Areas, 1997, pp: 129-13425
21. Maruthi Devi, C.H.; UshaMadhuri, T. Nature, Environment and Pollution Technology, 2011, 10, 481.
22. Tiwari , T.N.; Mishra, M.A. Indian J. Env.Prot., 1985, 5, 276.
23. Garrels, R.M.; Christ, C.L. Solutions minerals and equilibrium, New York: Harper and Row, 1965, 450.
24. Rao, S.N. Studies on water quality index in hard rock terrain of Guntur district Andhara Pradhesh, India. National Seminar on Hydrology of Precambrian Terrains and Hard Rock Areas, 1997, pp: 129-134
25. Sinha, D.K.; Srivastava, A.K. Indian J.Env. Prot., 1994, 14(5), 340.
26. Ahmad Ashfaq and Faizan Ahmad (2014) Assessment of Drinking Water Quality: A Case Study, Civil Engineering and Technology, A.M.U., Aligarh, India.
27. Chanda D K, 1999,) Hydrology Journal, 7(5),pp 431439.