IJCRR - 8(5), March, 2016
IPSYCHOMETRIC EVALUATION OF KNEEPAIN: ABAB DESIGN A Single Subject Randomized Control Trial
Author: Mahamed Ateef
Aim: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of psychometrictools andphysiotherapeutic interventions on pain perception in knee osteoarthritis patient. Case Study: A 58-year-old male patient with bilateral grade-2 primary knee was referred to a physiotherapist with a complaint of bilateral knee pain. He experienced pain severity of nine on visual analog scale, difficulty climbing stairs and while walking. Pain was also assessed using self-rated psychometric tool such as Knee pain and osteoarthritis outcome score(KOOS). The pain subscale was 12% means severe painprior to the intervention using KOOS questionnaire. The patient was given bilateral multiple angled resisted exercises twice daily for 3 weeks. At the end of 6th week pain was nearly normal twoon visual analog scale andKnee pain and osteoarthritis outcome scorepain subscalewas 90% means substantial pain relief and good improvementin gait. Discussion: Psychometric tools are the most reliable and validated tools in the evaluation pain perception in bilateral knee osteoarthritis as the pain perception differs during various activities of daily life. Conclusion: This case concludes that resisted exercises were effective and these scales are diagnostic as well prognostic in use for longitudinal prospective interventional studies due to their validity and reliability.
Keywords: Resisted exercises, Knee pain, Visual analog scale, Pain subscale of KOOS
Mahamed Ateef. IPSYCHOMETRIC EVALUATION OF KNEEPAIN: ABAB DESIGN A Single Subject Randomized Control Trial International Journal of Current Research and Review. 8(5), March, 30-32
1. Ferraz MB, Quaresma MR, Aquino LR, Atra E, Tugwell P, Goldsmith CH.Reliability of pain scales in the assessment obliterate and illiterate patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol.1990;17:1022-4.
2. Roos EM, Lohmander LS. Knee injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS): from joint injury to osteoarthritis. Health Qual Life Outcomes.2003;1:64.
3. Backman CL1, Harris SR.Mar-Apr Case studies, single-subject research, and N of 1 randomized trials: comparisons and contrasts. Am J Phys Med Rehabil.1999;78(2):170-6.
4. Terwee CB, van der Slikke RMA, van Lummel RC, Benink RJ, Meijers WGH, de Vet HCW.Self-reported physical functioning was more influenced by pain than performance-based physical functioning in knee-osteoarthritis patients. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology.2006;59(7):724-731.
5. Grant S, Aitchison T, Henderson E, Christie J, Zare S, McMurray J and Dargie J. A comparison of the reproducibility and the sensitivity to change of visual analogue scales, Borg scales, and Likert scales in normal subjects during submaximal exercise. Chest.1999,116(5):1208-17.
6. Collins NJ, Misra D, Felson DT, Crossley KM., Roos EM.Measures of knee function: International Knee Documentation Committee (IKDC) Subjective Knee Evaluation Form, Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS), Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score Physical Function Short Form (KOOS-PS), Knee Outcome Survey Activities of Daily Living Scale (KOS-ADL), Lysholm Knee Scoring Scale, Oxford Knee Score (OKS), Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC), Activity Rating Scale (ARS), and Tegner Activity Score (TAS). Arthritis care and research. 2011;63(11):208-28.
7. Nebel MB, Sims EL, Keefe FJ, et al.The relationship of self-reported pain and functional impairment to gait mechanics in overweight and obese persons with knee osteoarthritis. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.2009; 90(11):1874-1879.
8. AteefMd, Shaziya T, Kulandaivelan S. Influence of age on self-reported and actual physical performance measures in primary knee osteoarthritis. Indian Journal of Health and Wellbeing. 2012;3(4):1087-1089.
9. Kulandaivelan S, MahamedAteef, andShaziyaTahseen.Correlation of Self-Reported Questionnaire (KOOS) withSome Objective Measures in Primary OA Knee Patients.ISRN Rheumatology. 2014; Volume 2014 pp:5
10. MahamedAteef.Resisted exercise and outcomes using diseasespecific Urdu version of osteoarthritis outcome score questionnaire in knee osteoarthritis. Saudi Journal of Sports Medicine. 2015; volume 15(1) : 103-5.