IJCRR - 8(5), March, 2016
CLINICOCYTOLOGICAL ANALYSIS OF CYSTOSARCOMA PHYLLOIDES VIS A VIS FIBROADENOMA
Author: Brij Mohan Kumar Singh, Arijit Bishnu, Varun Kumar Singh
Aim: Phyllodes (PT) tumor is a rare fibro-epithelial neoplasm but requires an accurate preoperative diagnosis on fine needle aspiration cytology and most importantly to be distinguished from fibroadenoma, which allows the surgeon for correct surgical planning and avoidance of reoperation. We have evaluated both these neoplasm and tried to draw a distinction line between these two entities. Methodology: The archival files of department of pathology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal were searched and cases which were confirmed on histopathology as benign phyllodes were retrieved. For comparison cytologically diagnosed and histopathologically confirmed cases of fibroadenoma were taken. The cytological material in all cases consisted of alcohol fixed Papanicolaou-stained smears. Cytological features of their epithelium and stromal component constituting the background dispersed cell population were evaluated in detail. Results: The number of epithelial fragments including both cluster and syncytial architecture with apocrine metaplasia along with highly cellular and regular borders of stromal fragments and increased numbers of long spindle nuclei to other background nuclei in phylloides tumour were found informative Conclusion: The rate of picking up of these entities on FNA would increase by following these general guidelines and will also add up in good reproducibility.
Keywords: Cystosarcoma phylloides, Fibroadenoma, Fine needle aspiration cytology
Brij Mohan Kumar Singh, Arijit Bishnu, Varun Kumar Singh. CLINICOCYTOLOGICAL ANALYSIS OF CYSTOSARCOMA PHYLLOIDES VIS A VIS FIBROADENOMA International Journal of Current Research and Review. 8(5), March, 22-26
1. Jacklin RK et al. optimising preoperative diagnosis in phyllodes tumor of breast. J clin pathol 2006; 59:454-9
2. David D et al. Fine needle aspiration cytology of phyllodes tumor- potential diagnostic pitfalls. 1992;36:215-21
3. Deen SA, McKee GT, Kissin MW. Differential cytologic features of fibroepithelial lesions of the breast.Diagnostic Cytopathol 1999;20:53–6.
4. Jayaram G, Sthaneshwar P. Fine-needle aspiration cytology of phyllodes tumors. Diagn Cytopathol. 2002 Apr;26(4):222-7.
5. Tavassoli FA, Devilee P. Fibroepithelial Tumours. In Tavassoli FA, Devilee D eds. WHO Classification of Tumours: Tumours of the Breast and Female Genital Organs. Lyon: IARC Press; 2003:99-103.
6. Kok KY, Telsinghe PU, Yapp SK. Treatment and outcome of cystosarcoama phyllodes in Brunei: a 13-year experience. J R Coll Surg Edinb. 2001;46:198-201.
7. Kario K, Maeda S, Mizuno Y, Makino Y, Tankawa H, Kitazawa S. Phyllodes tumours of the breast: a clinicopathological study of 34 cases. J Surg Oncol. 1990;45:46-51.
8. Moffat CJ, Pinder SE, Dixon AR, Elston CW, Blamey RW, Ellis IO. Phyllodes tumour of the breast: a clinicopathological review of 32 cases. Histopathology. 1995; 27:205-218.
9. Jayaram G, Sthaneshwar P. Fine needle aspiration cytology of phyllodes tumour. Diagn Cytopath. 2002;26:222-227.
10. Shabb NS. Phyllodes tumour. Fine needle aspiration cytology of 8 cases. Acta Cytol. 1997;41:21-26.
11. R Bandhyopadhyay et al . Distinction of phyllodes tumor from fibroadenoma: cytologists perspective. Journal cytology 2010;27:59-62.
12. Dusenbery D et al. Fine needle aspiration cytology of phyllodes tumor. Potential diagnostic pitfalls. Acta cytol.1992;36:215-21.
13. Shimizu K et al. Cytologic evaluation of phyllodes tumors as compared to Fibroadenoma of the breast. Acta cytol 1994;38:891-7
14. Scolyer RA et al. Can phyllodes tumor of breast be distinguished from fibroadenoma using fine needle aspiration cytology. Diagnostic pathology. 2001;33:437-43.
15. Shabb NS et al. Phyllodes tumor.Fine needle aspiration cytology of eight cases. Acta cytol 1997;41:321-6
16. Rao CR Cystosarcoma phyllodes, diagnosis by fine needle aspiration cytology. Acta cytol. 1992;36:203-7.