IJCRR - 8(5), March, 2016
A RARE CASE OF BREAST ABSCESS DUE TO SALMONELLA TYPHI
Author: N. Murugesan, R. Alagar samy, M. S. Viswanathan, A. Anbazhagan
Breast abscess is a common clinical condition in the young reproductive age group and is mainly caused by gram positive cocci and anaerobes .The incidence of breast abscess in a patient with typhoid is 0.3%-0.9% in females. Here we report a 60 year old diabetic female patient admitted with history of fever for 10 days followed by pain and lump in the right breast for two days. She gave no history of taking any antibiotics. On admission she was afebrile, a lump of size 7×5 cm in the upper outer quadrant of right breast, firm in consistency without any signs of inflammation. Ultrasonagram of the right breast revealed a breast abscess. Incision and drainage procedure was done and the pus sent for culture and sensitivity test. Salmonella typhi was isolated as the only infective agent from the pus and was sensitive to ampicillin-sulbactum and amikacin. The patient had no evidence of systemic typhoid (negative widal and Blood culture). The patient recovered completely with drainage under antibiotic cover. The case is being presented for its rarity.
Keywords: Breast abscess, Salmonella typhi, Widal test, Typhoid fever
N. Murugesan, R. Alagar samy, M. S. Viswanathan, A. Anbazhagan. A RARE CASE OF BREAST ABSCESS DUE TO SALMONELLA TYPHI International Journal of Current Research and Review. 8(5), March, 10-12
1. Parry CM, Hien TT, Dougan G, White NJ, Farrar JJ. Typhoid fever. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:1770-82. [PubMed]
2. Rodriguez M, de Diego I, Mendoza MC. Extraintestinal salmonellosis in a general hospital (1991 to 1996): Relationships between Salmonella genomic groups and clinical presentations. J Clin Microbiol. 1998;36:3291-6.
3. Ciraj AM, Reetika D, Bhat GK, Pai CG, Shivananda PG. Hepatic abscess caused by Salmonella typhi. J Assoc Physicians India. 2001;49:1021-2.
4. Duggal S, Mahajan RK, Biswas NK, Chandel DS, Duggal N, Hans C. Splenic abscess due to Salmonella enterica Serotype Typhi in a young adult. J Commun Dis. 2008;40:219-22.
5. Thakur K, Singh G, Gupta P, Chauhan S, Jaryal SC. Primary anterior parietal wall abscess due to Salmonella typhi. Braz J Infect Dis. 2010;14:328-9.
6. Singh S, Pandya Y, Rathod J, Trivedi S. Bilateral breast abscess: A rare complication of enteric fever. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2009;27:69-70.
7. Barrett GS, MacDermot J. Breast abscess: A rare presentation of typhoid. Br Med J. 1972;2:628-9.
8. Delori M, Abgueguen P, Chennebault JM, Pichard E, Fanello S. Breast abscess with Salmonella typhi and review of the literature. J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris) 2007;36:709-12.
9. Mahajan RK, Duggal S, Chande DS, Duggal N, Hans C, Chaudhry R. Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi from a case of breast abscess. J Commun Dis. 2007;39:201-4.
10. Razeq JH, Glenn A, Thomas G, Sholes A. First human case of Salmonella enterica serotype Landwasser recovered from breast fluid. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:4300.
11. Edelstein H. Breast abscess due to Salmonella serogroup B, serotype Reading, in a young nonpuerperal woman. Clin Infect Dis. 1993;17:951-2.
12. Al Benwan K, Al Mulla A, Izumiya H, Albert MJ. Erythema nodosum and bilateral breast abscesses due to Salmonella enterica serotype Poona. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:3786-7.
13. Nelson JD. Suppurative mastitis in infants. Am J Dis Child. 1973;125:458-9.
14. Kumar PD. Breast abscess: A rare complication of multiresistant typhoid fever. Trop Doct 1998;28:238-9.