IJCRR - Vol 08 Issue 06, March, 2016
CORRELATION BETWEEN BMI AND ARTERIAL STIFFNESS IN MIDDLE AGED SUBJECTS
Author: Niruba R., T. Kannan Kumar, Subha K. C., Vijiyalakshmi
Background: World wide prevalence of obesity has reached a pandemic proportion. Obesity and Arterial wall stiffness are independent predictors of cardiovascular diseases. We aimed to investigate how BMI affects arterial stiffness. Noninvasive method of measuring arterial stiffness can be applied to assess the elasticity of the vessel wall and reduce the cardiovascular morbidity. Study Design: Cross sectional observational study. Materials and Methods: Subjects n= 50 males, Age group 35-45 years. All participants had a sedentary life style, blood pressure and glycemic status were within normal limits. Subjects with history of peripheral vascular disease, smokers and any other illness that affects arterial compliance were excluded . Arterial stiffness was assessed from Augmentation index (AI) and stiffness index (SI). AI and SI was measured using IR1 model digital finger tip photo pulse plethysmograph. Results: Mean age = 38±2 years, Mean BMI = 26± 3, Mean Stiffness index = 7.4 ±1.4 m/s, Mean Augmentation index= 48 ±2.8 %.Pearson correlation was applied .BMI correlated positively with both augmentation index and stiffness index with r value is +0.437 and + 0.564 respectively. Conclusion: In our study both large and small artery stiffness were assessed. There was increase in arterial wall stiffness with increase in BMI. We conclude obesity affects arterial compliance, which might be the consequences of metabolic regulation, inflammatory pathways and other mechanisms
Keywords: BMI, Augmentation Index, Stiffness Index
Niruba R., T. Kannan Kumar, Subha K. C., Vijiyalakshmi. CORRELATION BETWEEN BMI AND ARTERIAL STIFFNESS IN MIDDLE AGED SUBJECTS International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 08 Issue 06, March, 14-17
1. Brozak J and Keys A. The evaluation of leanness-fatness in man: norms and interrelationships. Food and agricultural organization of the United Nations. Dietary Surveys 1949; Vol-62(3):194- 206.
2. Jelic S, Bartels MN, Mateika JH, Ngai P, DeMeersman RE, Basner RC.Arterial stiffness increases during obstructive sleep apneas. Sleep 2002;25: 850–855.
3. Hall JE. The kidney, hypertension, and obesity. Hypertension 2003; 41:625–633.
4. I.S. Mackenzie, I.B. Wilkinson and J.R. Cockcroft. Assessment of arterial stiffness in clinical practice, Q J med 2002; 95:67–74.
5. G Sivagami, Milind Bhutkar, A Comparitive study of arterial stiffness indices between normotensive and hypertensive subjects-NJBMS,2014 : 4(3); pg-177-179.
6. Chen CH, Nevo E, Fetics B et al .Estimation of central aortic pressure waveform by mathematical transformation of radial tonometry pressure. Validation of generalized transfer function. Circulation 1997;95:1827-36.
7. Alvarez GE, Beske SD, Ballard TP, Davy KP: Sympathetic neural activation in visceral obesity. Circulation 106, 2002 : 2533– 2536.
8. Abate NI, Mansour YH, Tuncel M, Arbique D, Chavoshan B, Kizilbash A, Howell-Stampley T, Vongpatanasin W, Victor RG: Overweight and sympathetic overactivity in black Americans. Hypertension 2001;38: 379–383.
9. Garrow JS, Webster J. Quetelet’s index (W/H2) as a measure of fatness. Int J Obes 1985; 9: 147–153.
10. Krauss RM, Winston M, Fletcher RN, Grundy SM. Obesity: impact of cardiovascular disease. Circulation 1998; 98:1472–1476.
11. Oliver JJ, Webb DJ. Noninvasive assessment of arterial stiffness and risk of atherosclerotic events. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2003; 23: 554–566.
12. Mattace-Raso F, Cammen T, Hofman A. et al. Arterial stiffness and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke. The Rotterdam Study. Circulation 2006; 113: 657–663.
13. Weber T, Auer J, O’Rourke M, et al. Arterial stiffness, wave reflections, and the risk of coronary artery disease. Circulation 2004; 109: 184–189.
14. Woodman RJ, Kingwell BA, Beilin LJ, Hamilton SE, Dart AM, Watts GF: Assessment of central and peripheral arterial stiffness: Studies indicating the need to use a combination of techniques. Am J Hypertens18 2005:249–260.
15. I.S. Mackenzie, I.B. Wilkinson, J.R. Cockcroft, Assessment of arterial stiffness in clinical practice, http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ qjmed/95.2.67 67-74 , February 2002
16. Gary F. Mitchell, Yves Lacourcie`re, J. Malcolm O. Arnold, Mark E. Dunlap,Paul R. Conlin, Joseph L. Izzo, Jr ,Changes in Aortic Stiffness and Augmentation Index After Acute Converting Enzyme or Vasopeptidase Inhibition ,Hypertension. 2005;46:1111-1117.
17. Singhal A, Farooqi IS, Cole TJ, O’Rahilly S, Fewtrell M,Kattenhorn M, Lucas A, Deanfield J: Influence of leptin on arterial distensibility: A novel link between obesity and cardiovascular disease? Circulation 2002;106: 1919–1924.
18. Oda A, Taniguchi T, Yokoyama M: Leptin stimulates rat aortic smooth muscle cell proliferation and migration. Kobe J Med Sci,2001; 47: 141–150.
19. Sierra-Honigmann MR, Nath AK, Murakami C, Garcia-Cardena G, Papapetropoulos A, Sessa WC, Madge LA, Schechner JS, Schwabb MB, Polverini PJ, Flores-Riveros JR: Biological action of leptin as an angiogenic factor. Science ,1998;281: 1683– 1686.
20. Schafer K, Halle M, Goeschen C, Dellas C, Pynn M, Loskutoff DJ, Konstantinides S: Leptin promotes vascular remodeling and neointimal growth in mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol , 2004;24: 112–117.
21. O’Rourke MF, Staessen JA, Vlachopoulos C, Duprez D, Plante GE. Clinical applications of arterial stiffness; definitions and reference values.Am J Hypertens. 2002; 15:426–444.
22. Van Bortel LM, Duprez D, Starmans-Kool MJ, Safar ME, Giannattasio C,Cockcroft J, Kaiser DR, Thuillez C. Applicationsof arterial stiffness, Task Force III: recommendations for user procedures. Am J Hypertens.2002; 15:445– 452.
23. Mackenzie IS, Wilkinson IB, Cockcroft JR. Assessment of arterial stiffness in clinical practice. QJM. 2002; 95:67–74. 24. O’ Brein E, Ambulatory blood pressure measurement: A trove hidden Gems? Hypertension 2006; 48:364-365