IJCRR - Vol 08 Issue 07, April, 2016
EFFECTS OF VITAMIN-D AND SUNLIGHT ON THE HEMATO-BIOCHEMICAL PARAMETERS IN MICE
Author: Muhammad Rakibul Hasan, Md. Kamrul Islam, Ziaul Haque
Moderate exposure to sunlight increases vitamin-D status in the body and vitamin-D helps in absorption of calcium from intestine. This study was aimed to investigate the efficacy of vitamin-D and sunlight on blood parameters and serum biochemistry in mice. For this purpose, 50 adult Swiss albino mice were collected and randomly divided into five equal groups (Group A, B, C, D and E). Group A was considered as control and fed only on balanced normal feed. Group B was supplied with 15% butter in feed as a semi-synthetic source of vitamin-D, group C was exposed to direct sunlight (1.5 hours daily) and group D and E were supplied with oral synthetic form of vitamin-D @ 50 IU and 100 IU daily, respectively. After 120 days, blood and serum samples were collected for analysis. Our results showed that total erythrocytes count (TEC) and total leukocytes count (TLC) were found higher in group D but insignificant. Lymphocytes were significantly (P<0.001) higher in group D but neutrophils was significantly (P<0.01) higher in group B. The aspartate transaminase (AST), alanine transaminase (ALT) and alkaline phosphatase (AP) levels were also raised very sharply with increased level of vitamin-D in blood. AST and AP level were found significantly (P<0.001) higher in group B but ALT level was significantly (P<0.001) higher in group E. The lipid profile such as total cholesterol (TC), high density lipoprotein (HDL) and triglyceride (TG) were also analyzed. TC level was slightly higher in group C but significantly (P<0.01) lower in group E HDL was significantly increases with increased level of vitamin-D in treatment groups (P<0.01). TG level was somewhat higher in group D but not significant. From our results it can be concluded that sunlight and butter are the potential sources of vitamin-D. Supplementation of vitamin-D at certain level improves health status but excessive supplementation cause harmful effects on the body systems.
Keywords: Sunlight, Vitamin-D, Blood, Biochemical analysis
Muhammad Rakibul Hasan, Md. Kamrul Islam, Ziaul Haque. EFFECTS OF VITAMIN-D AND SUNLIGHT ON THE HEMATO-BIOCHEMICAL PARAMETERS IN MICE International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 08 Issue 07, April, 23-29
1. Abrams SA 2011: Calcium and vitamin-D requirements for optimal bone mass during adolescence. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care 14 605-609.
2. Aloia JF 2011: Clinical Review: The 2011 report on dietary reference intake for vitamin-D: where do we go from here? The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 96 2987- 2996.
3. Amina N, Hussain MM, Aslam M 2010: Correlation of serum alanine aminotransferase and aspartate aminotransferase levels to liver histology in chronic hepatitis C. Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan 20 657-661.
4. Asemi Z, Tabassi Z, Heidarzadeh Z, Khorammian H, Sabihi SS, Samimi M 2012: Effect of calcium-vitamin-D supplementation on metabolic profiles in pregnant women at risk for pre-eclampsia: a randomized placebo controlled trial. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences 15 316-324.
5. Ashraf TS, Eldabbagh M, Elawwa A, Saleem W 2012: Does vitamin-D therapy affects hematological indices in adolescents with vitamin-D deficiency? Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism 16 659–660.
6. Astrup A 2014: Yogurt and dairy product consumption to prevent cardiometabolic diseases: epidemiologic and experimental studies. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 99 1235- 1242.
7. Bener A, Al-Ali M, Hoffmann GF 2009: Vitamin-D deficiency in healthy children in a sunny country: associated factors. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 60 60-70.
8. Beran Y, Ulker DC 2006: Seasonal and physiological variations in serum chemistry and mineral concentrations in Cattle. Biological Trace Element Research 10 255-266.
9. Bikle DD 1994: Role of vitamin-D, its metabolites, and analogs in the management of osteoporosis. Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America 20 759-775.
10. Charles CC, Johannes T, Alex B 2007: Lymphocyte function during hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury. Journal of Leukocyte Biology 82 457-464.
11. Cope RB, Bosnic M, Boehm-Wilcox C, Mohr D, Reeve VE 1996: Dietary butter protects against ultraviolet radiation-induced suppression of contact hypersensitivity in Skh:HR-1 hairless mice. Journal of Nutrition 126 681-692.
12. Cranney C, Horsely T, O’Donnell S, Weiler H, Ooi D, Atkinson S 2007: Effectiveness and safety of vitamin-D. Evidence Report/ Technology Assessment No. 158 prepared by the University of Ottawa Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-02.0021. AHRQ Publication No. 07-E013. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
13. Cynthia A 2011: Vitamin-D and the Immune System. Journal of Investigative Medicine 59 881–886.
14. Frank T 2012: Functional role of intrahepatic monocyte subsets for the progression of liver inflammation and liver fibrosis in vivo. Fibrogenesis and Tissue Repair 5 27-35.
15. Gallagher JC, Smith LM, Yalamanchili V 2014: Incidence of hypercalciuria and hypercalcemia during vitamin-D and calcium supplementation in older women. Menopause 21 1173-1180.
16. Geneviève CM, Francine A, Jean D, Sakouna P, Angelo T 2007: Supplementation with calcium + vitamin-D enhances the beneficial effect of weight loss on plasma lipid and lipoprotein concentrations. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 85 54-59.
17. Geoffrey H, Patricia FL, Stefan GH, David HA 2002: Lymphocyte recruitment to the liver in alcoholic liver disease. Alcohol 27 29-36.
18. Ghai CL 2008: A Text Book of Practical Physiology. 7th edition, Jaypee Brothers, Medical Publishers (P) Ltd. New Delhi. pp 63- 110.
19. Glenville J 2008: Pharmacokinetics of vitamin-D toxicity. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 88 582-586.
20. Guyton AC, Hall JE 2006: A Text Book of Medical Physiology. 11th edition, Saunders, Elsevier, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. pp 967.
21. Holick MF 2008. Vitamin-D and sunlight: strategies for cancer prevention and other health benefits. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 3 1548-1554.
22. Holmes RP, Kummerow FA 1983: The relationship of adequate and excessive intake of vitamin-D to health and disease. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 2 173-199.
24. Hyun JL, Dae JK, Jin HH, Kyoung AK, Sang WY, Jong TL 2012: Eosinophilic Infiltration in the Liver: Unusual Manifestation of Hepatic Segmental Involvement. Journal of The Korean Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 16 76-80.
25. Jaeschke H, Hasegawa T 2006: Role of neutrophils in acute inflammatory liver injury. Liver International 26 912-919.
26. James HL, Mary EM, Steven Z, Mary JF, Jeffrey RM, Rene B 2007: Efficacy and safety of high-dose pravastatin in hypercholesterolemic patients with well-compensated chronic liver disease: Results of a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial. Hepatology 46 1453–1463.
27. Jennifer AB, Kranthi NS, Grace M, Madhuri JS, Thomas M 2013: Vitamin-D level and its correlation with hemoglobin in pediatric sickle cell disease patients. Blood 122 4677.
28. Jerome BS, Robert S 1970: Serum cholesterol esterification in liver disease — importance of lecithin-cholesterol acyltransferase. The New England Journal of Medicine 283 841-846.
29. Jorde R, Grimnes G 2011: Vitamin-D and metabolic health with special reference to the effect of vitamin-D on serum lipids. Progress in Lipid Research 50 303-312.
30. José LP, Laura AM, Gemma V, Javier del PM, Daniel de L, Antonio Due?as L 2009: Clinical study vitamin-D levels and lipid response to atorvastatin. International Journal of Endocrinology 2010 Article ID 320721.
31. Jungert A, Roth HJ, Neuhäuser BM 2014: Associations of serum 25-hydroxycholecalciferol and parathyroid hormone with serum lipids differ by sex and vitamin-D status. Public Health Nutrition 30 1-8.
32. Khaled H, Serge C, Kamel J, Slaheddine M, Samiha L, Dorra A, Fatma A, Abdelfattah E 2009: 1α,25 Dihydroxyvitamin-D3: Therapeutic and preventive effects against oxidative stress, hepatic, pancreatic and renal injury in alloxan-induced diabetes in rats. Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology 55 215- 222.
33. Konstantinos V, Maria M, Petros MZ, Stamatia D, Eleni V, Basilios T, Angeliki S 2002: Alkaline phosphatase and its isoenzyme activity for the evaluation of bone metabolism in children receiving anticonvulsant monotherapy. Seizure 11 377–380.
34. Lane NE 2010: Vitamin-D and systemic lupus erythematosus: bones, muscles, and joints. Current Rheumatology Reports 12 259-263.
35. Liaskou E, Zimmermann HW, Li KK, Oo YH, Suresh S, Stamataki Z, Qureshi O, Lalor PF, Shaw J, Syn WK, Curbishley SM, Adams DH 2013: Monocyte subsets in human liver disease show distinct phenotypic and functional characteristics. Hepatology 57 385-398.
36. Marwah S, Walls A, Blann AD 2012: Relationship between vitamin-D and red blood cell indices in South Asians and White Europeans. British Journal of Biomedical Science 69 1-3.
37. Merck Manual 2013: Eosinophilic Disorders by Mary Territo. www.merckmanuals.com
38. National Institutes of Health. Health Information. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S.A. http://www.nih.gov.
39. Ohnaka T 1993. Health effects of ultraviolet radiation. Journal of Physiological Anthropology 12 1-10.
40. Osborne JE, Hutchinson PE 2002: Vitamin-D and systemic cancer: Is this relevant to malignant melanoma? British Journal of Dermatology 147 197–213.
41. Patricia FL, Philip S, Allister J G, David HA 2002: Recruitment of lymphocytes to the human liver. Immunology and Cell Biology 80 52–64.
42. Ponda MP, Dowd K, Finkielstein D, Holt PR, Breslow JL 2012: The short-term effects of vitamin-D repletion on cholesterol: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 32 2510-2515.
43. Ponda MP, Huang X, Odeh MA, Breslow JL, Kaufman HW 2012: Vitamin-D may not improve lipid levels: a serial clinical laboratory data study. Circulation 126 270-277.
44. Raiza P, Michelle M, Suchetha KN, Damodara GKM, Jayaprakash SK 2014: Evalation of relationship between markers of liver function and the onset of type 2 diabetes. Nitte University Journal of Health Science 4 90-93.
45. Ramaiah SK, Jaeschke H 2007: Role of neutrophils in the pathogenesis of acute inflammatory liver injury. Toxicological Pathology 35 757-766.
46. Schmid A, Walther B 2013: Natural vitamin-D content in animal products. Advances in Nutrition 4 453-462.
47. Shankar SR, Bijlani RL, Baveja T 2002: Effect of partial replacement of visible fat by ghee (clarified butter) on serum lipid profile. Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 46 355- 60.
48. Shaoqing H, Christopher M, John ZL, Rita G, Lisa K, Nick VG, Jonathan CC, Helen HH 2010: A Sequence Variation (I148M) in PNPLA3 Associated with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Disrupts Triglyceride Hydrolysis. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 285 6706–6715.
49. Shu M, Masuomi T, Takeshi K, Kiyoe K, Henpiru O, Akira A, Ryo I, Shu T, Toshihide K, Yoshihito A, Hiroshi I, Hideki H 2011: Plasma 25-Hydroxyvitamin-D Is Independently Associated with Hemoglobin Concentration in Male Subjects with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. International Journal of Endocrinology 2011 362981 doi: 10.1155/2011/362981.
50. Silver DS 2011: Calcium and vitamin-D controversies. Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America 37 351-363.
51. SPSS software, Version 16.00, IBM Corporation, USA.
52. Sun X, Cao ZB, Tanisawa K, Ito T, Oshima S, Ishimi Y, Tabata I, Higuchi M 2014: Associations between the serum 25(OH)-D concentration and lipid profiles in japanese men. Journal of Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis PMID:25346256.
53. Touvier M, Deschasaux M, Montourcy M, Sutton A, Charnaux N, Kesse GE, Assmann KE, Fezeu L, Latino-Martel P, DruesnePecollo N, Guinot C, Latreille J, Malvy D, Galan P, Hercberg S, Le CS, Souberbielle JC, Ezzedine K 2014: Determinants of vitamin-d status in caucasian adults: influence of sun exposure, dietary intake, socio-demographic, lifestyle, anthropometric and genetic factors. Journal of Investigative Dermatology Sep 11. doi: 10.1038/jid.2014.400.
54. www.infinitheism.com: Discover The Effects of Sunlight! Posted by Infinitheism Admin on February 5th, 2014 and filed under Featured, Health.
55. Zhou-wen C, Li-ying C, Hong-lei D, Jian-hua C, Li-zheng F 2008: Relationship between alanine aminotransferase levels and metabolic syndrome in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Journal of Zhejiang University Science B. 9 616–622.