IJCRR - Vol 08 Issue 09, May, 2016
EVALUATION OF SYSTEMIC MARKERS RELATED TO ANEMIA IN PERIPHERAL BLOOD OF PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC GENERALISED SEVERE PERIODONTITIS A COMPARATIVE STUDY
Author: Chakravarthy Muppalla, Ramakrishnan Theyagarajan, Geetha Ari, Jaideep Mahendra
Background: The purpose of this study was to evaluate systemic markers related to anemia in peripheral blood of patients with chronic generalized severe periodontitis and compare them with healthy controls.
Materials and Methods: A total of 60 systemically healthy males, aged 18 to 50 years were selected from the out patients department of periodontology, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College and Hospital. They were divided into two groups; Controls (group A) 30 male volunteers with healthy gingiva and Test Group (group B) 30 male patients with chronic generalized severe periodontitis. Periodontal clinical parameters and hematological parameters were recorded in both the groups.
Results: Blood parameters of patients with chronic generalized severe periodontitis especially Red Blood Cell (RBC) count, Haemoglobin (Hb) and Packed Cell Volume (PCV) values were reduced in group B indicating that chronic generalized severe periodontitis has a definite systemic effect.
Conclusion: RBC count, Haemoglobin (Hb) and PCV values of chronic generalized severe periodontitis patients were low compared to healthy individuals.
Keywords: Anemia of chronic disease, Chronic generalized severe periodontitis, RBC Count, Packed cell volume, Haemogloblin
Chakravarthy Muppalla, Ramakrishnan Theyagarajan, Geetha Ari, Jaideep Mahendra. EVALUATION OF SYSTEMIC MARKERS RELATED TO ANEMIA IN PERIPHERAL BLOOD OF PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC GENERALISED SEVERE PERIODONTITIS A COMPARATIVE STUDY International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 08 Issue 09, May, 59-63
1. Listgarten MA. Pathogenesis of periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol 1986;13:418-430.
2. Jotwani R, Cutler CW. Adult periodontitis Specific bacterial infection or chronic inflammation? J Med Microbiol 1998;47:187- 188.
3. DeStefano F, Anda RF, Kahn HS, Williamson DF, Russell CM. Dental disease and risk of coronary heart disease and mortality. Bio Med Journal 1993;306:688-691.
4. Kweider M, Lowe GD, Murray GD, Kinane DF, McGowan DA. Dental disease, fibrinogen and white cell count; Links with myocardial infarction? Scott Med J 1993; 38:73-74. 5. Syrjnen J, Peltola J, Valtonen V, Iivanainen M, Kaste M, Huttunen JK. Dental infections in association with cerebral infarction in young and middle-aged men. J Intern Med 1989;225:179- 184. 6. Collins JG, Smith MA, Arnold RR, Offenbacher S. Effects of Escherichia coli and Porphyromonas gingivalis lipopolysaccharide on pregnancy outcome in the golden hamster. Infect Immun journal 1994;62:4652-4655.
7. Mealey BL, Klokkevold PR. Periodontal medicine. In: Newman MG, Takei HH, Carranza FA, eds. Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology, 9th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2002:229-244.
8. Weiss G, Goodnough LT. Anemia of chronic disease. Engl J Med 2005;352:1011-1023.
9. Faquin WC, Schneider TJ, Goldberg MA. Effect of inflammatory cytokines on hypoxia-induced erythropoietin production. Blood 1992;79:1987-1994.
10. Raja KB, O Latunde-Dada G, Peters TJ, McKie AT, Simpson RJ. Role of interleukin-6 in hypoxic regulation of intestinal iron absorption. Br J Haematol 2005; 131:656-662.
11. Cartwright GE. The anemia of chronic disorders. Semin Hematol 1966;3(4):351-75.
12. Hutter JW, Van der Velden U, Varoufaki A, Huffels RA, Hoek FJ, Loos BG. Lower numbers of erythrocytes and lower levels of hemoglobin in periodontitis patients compared to control subjects. J Clin Periodontol 2001;28:930-936.
13. Jongen-Lavrencic M, Peeters HR, Vreugdenhil G, Swaak AJ. Interaction of inflammatory cytokines and erythropoeitin in iron metabolism and erythropoiesis in anemia of chronic disease. Clin Rheumatol 1995;14:519-525.
14. Salvi GE, Lawrence HP, Offenbacher S, Beck JD. Influence of risk factors on the pathogenesis of periodontitis. Perio 2000 1997;14:173-201.
15. Pradeep AR, Sharma A, Arjun Raju P. Anemia of Chronic Disease and Chronic Periodontitis: Does Periodontal Therapy Have Effect on Anemic Status. J Periodontol 2011;82:388-394.
16. Agarwal N, Kumar VS, Gujjari SA. Effect of periodontal therapy on hemoglobin and erythrocyte levels in chronic generalized periodontitis patients: An interventional study. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2009;13:6-11.
17. Lu S-Yu, Eng HL. Dramatic recovery from severe anemia by resolution of severe periodontitis. J Dent Sci 2010;5:41−46
18. Ernst E. Haemorheological consequences of chronic cigarette smoking. J Cardiovasc Risk 1995;2:435-439.
19. Sneha R. Gokhale,,Shivaswamy Sumanth, and Ashvini M. Padhye. Evaluation of Blood Parameters in Patients With Chronic Periodontitisfor Signs of Anemia. J Periodontol. August 2010;vol 81(8);1202-1205.
20. Page RC. The pathobiology of periodontal diseases may affect systemic diseases: inversion of a paradigm, ann periodontal 1998; 3:108-109.
21. Prakasam Reddy. Erythropoises. Fundamentals of Medical Physiology 5th edition:PARAS:268.
22. Prakasam Reddy. Packed cell volume or Haematocrit, blood indices and Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate. Fundamentals of Medical Physiology 5th edition 279-280.
23. Ravi Sharma Text book of Clinical Methods, The history, physical and Laboratory Examinations: Third edition: Butterworths publications. Red blood indices 720-723.