IJCRR - Vol 08 Issue 11, June, 2016
RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PERSONALITY DISORDERS AND MIGRAINE HEADACHE IN REFERRAL PATIENTS TO ARDABIL NEUROLOGY CLINIC, 2013-14
Author: Ghasem Fattahzadeh-Ardalani, Hamidreza Azizzadeh
Background: Some problems related to migraine as one of the most common causes of headache is caused by psychiatric disorders associated with it. Understanding relation between personality disorders with migraine headache can be effective in the diagnosis and treatment of migraine.
Aim: The aim of this study was to investigate the association between personality characteristics and migraine incidence in neurology clinic in Ardabil during 2013-14.
Methods: In this descriptive-analytical study, 50 migraine patients were selected randomly. In order to determine personality disorders, MCMI-3 questionnaire was used. Collected data analyzed using statistical methods in SPSS.16.
Results: Of all patients,62% were female and 38% were male with the mean age of 37.02 years old (range 18-65). The personality disorders that observed among patients by the highest frequency order were histrionic personality disorder (70%) and obsessive (40%). The prevalence of depressive personality disorder among women (P = 0.020) and the prevalence of narcissistic personality disorder higher among men (P = 0.049) were significantly higher than others.
Conclusion: Results showed that people with migraines have certain personality characteristics such as anxiety, irritation, depression, anxiety, and obsession that these characteristics leads into internal frustration and cause to headache and finally lead to migraine headache.
Keywords: Personality disorders, Headache, Migraine
Ghasem Fattahzadeh-Ardalani, Hamidreza Azizzadeh. RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PERSONALITY DISORDERS AND MIGRAINE HEADACHE IN REFERRAL PATIENTS TO ARDABIL NEUROLOGY CLINIC, 2013-14 International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 08 Issue 11, June, 01-04
1. Bresleu N. Headache and major depression. Neurology 2000; 45:308-12.
2. Gisela T. Tietjen E. Migraine, Depression may have genetic link, neurology 2010;74:288-294
3. Rezaei A, Shamsaei F, Rezaei N. Personality characteristic in patient with migraine headache. Pak J Med Sci 2006; 22(4):480- 2.
4. Goldstein J, Silberstein SD, Saper JR, Ryan RE Jr, Lipton RB. Acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine in combination versus ibuprofen for acute migraine: results from a multicenter, doubleblind, randomized, parallel-group, single-dose, placebo-controlled study. Headache. 2006;46(3):444-453.
5. Goadsby PJ, Zanchin G, Geraud G, et al. Early vs. non-early intervention in acute migraine-‘Act when Mild (AwM)’. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of almotriptan [published correction appears in Cephalalgia. 2008;28(6):679]. Cephalalgia. 2008;28(4):383-391.
6. Mathew NT, Landy S, Stark S, et al. Fixed-dose sumatriptan and naproxen in poor responders to triptans with a short half-life. Headache. 2009;49(7):971-982.
7. Singh A, Alter HJ, Zaia B. Does the addition of dexamethasone to standard therapy for acute migraine headache decrease the incidence of recurrent headache for patients treated in the emergency department? A meta-analysis and systematic review of the literature [published correction appears in AcadEmerg Med. 2009;16(5):435]. AcadEmerg Med. 2008;15(12):1223-1233.
8. Bigal ME, Serrano D, Buse D, Scher A, Stewart WF, Lipton RB. Acute migraine medications and evolution from episodic to chronic migraine: a longitudinal population-based study. Headache. 2008;48(8):1157-1168.
9. Lipton RB, Dodick DW, Silberstein SD, et al. Single-pulse transcranial magnetic stimulation for acute treatment of migraine with aura: a randomised, double-blind, parallel-group, shamcontrolled trial. Lancet Neurol. 2010;9(4):373-380.
10. Pringsheim T, Davenport WJ, Dodick D. Acute treatment and prevention of menstrually related migraine headache: evidencebased review. Neurology. 2008;70(17):1555-1563.
11. Huber D. Henrich G. Personality traits and stress sensitivity. Behave Med 2003; 29(1):4-13.
12. Lipton RB, Stewart WF, Diamond S, Diamond ML, Reed M. Prevalence and burden of migraine in the United States: data from the American Migraine Study II. Headache. 2001;41(7):646- 657.
13. Wilson JF. In the clinic. Migraine [published correction appears in Ann Intern Med. 2008;148(5):408]. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147(9):ITC11-1–ITC11-16.
14. Kaplan HI, Sadock BJ, Grebb JA. Kaplan and Sadock’s synopsis of psychiatry. 7th Ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins; 1994. P. 516-712.
15. Locker TE, Thompson C, Rylance J, Mason SM. The utility of clinical features in patients presenting with nontraumatic headache: an investigation of adult patients attending an emergency department. Headache. 2006;46(6):954-961.
16. Taziki SA , Fathi D , Ramezannezhad A , Behnampour N , Salari H, Personality characteristics in migraine and tension headache in Gorgan, Iran (2007-08), Journal of Gorgan University of Medical Sciences, 2013 14(4): 65-69.
17. Firoozabadi M., Manshaee G., Danae Z., Sharifzadeh G., Effectiveness of cognitive behavioral stress management on depression and anxiety symptoms of patients with epilepsy and migraine, Journal of Birjand University of Medical Sciences 2015; 21 (4) : 407-415.
18. Ali G, Azadeh S, Mehrdokht M, Mehrdokht S R, Mohammad Z. Correlation between migraine headaches and obsessive-compulsive Disorder: a two year study. Tehran Univ Med J. 2012; 69 (12) :781-786.
19. Wolf HG. Personality features and reactions of subjects with migraine. Arch Neurol- psychiatr 1937; 37:895-921.
20. Tourine GA, Draper G. The migrainous patients: a constitutional study. J NervMent Dis 1934; 80: 183-204.
21. Arthur YY. MMPI manifestation of Chinese migraine syndromes: a control study. Am J Chinese Med 1999; 27(1):37-42.
22. Rezaei A, Shamsaei F, Rezaei N. Personality characteristic in patient with migraine headache. Pak J Med Sci 2006; 22(4):480- 2.
23. Kara Kurum B. Personality, depression and anxiety as risk factor for chronic migraine. Int J NeuroSci 2004; 114(11): 1391-9.
24. Brandth JD, Celentano S. Personality and emotional disorder in a community sample of migraine headache sufferers. Am J Psychiatr 1990; 147:303-8.
25. Martin Hertz SP, Smith MS, McMahan RJ. Psychosocial factors associated with headache in Junior high school students. J PediatrPsychol 1999; 24: 13-23.
26. Ming Cao, Shiyang Wang, Yehan Wang. Personality traits in migraine and tension- type headache: a five factor model study. Psychopathology 2002; 35(4): 254-8.