IJCRR - 8(12), June, 2016
DEPRESSION AMONG OLD AGE IN URBAN SLUMS
Author: Pranay Jadav, Rhythm Panchani
Aim: Present study was carried out to assess the prevalence and factors associated with depression among old age living in urban slums. Methodology: A cross sectional community based study was done in field practice area of urban health training center of a Medical Institute. A total of 150 participant of age 60 or more had been interviewed by house to house survey. Depression was measured by Geriatric Depression scale (GDS)-15. Results: Overall prevalence of depression among old age in urban slums was 30.7%. Prevalence among female was 33.82% and among male was 28.04%. Conclusion: Depression among geriatric population was significantly associated with illiteracy, living alone, chronic morbidity and poly-pharmacy.
Keywords: Depression, Old age, Urban slums
Pranay Jadav, Rhythm Panchani. DEPRESSION AMONG OLD AGE IN URBAN SLUMS International Journal of Current Research and Review. 8(12), June, 01-05
1. Sherina MS, Rampal L, Mustaqim A. The Prevalence of Depression among the Elderly in Sepang, Selangor. Med J Malaysia 2004; 59(1):45-49.
2. Ganguli M, Dube S, Johnston JM, Pandav R, Chandra V, Dodge HH. Depressive symptoms, cognitive impairment and functional impairment in a rural elderly population in India: a Hindi version of the geriatric depression scale (GDS-H).Int J Geriatr Psychiatry1999; 14(10):807-20.
3. Dasgupta A, Ray D, Roy S, Sarkar T, Ghosal A, Das A, Pal J. Depression among the Geriatric Population is a Matter of Concern: A Community Based Study in a Rural Area of West Bengal. Nepal Journal of Epidemiology 2013; 3(4): 282-287.
4. Seby K, Chaudhari S, Chakraborty R. Prevalence of Psychiatric and physical morbidity in an urban geriatric population. Indian Journal of psychiatry 2011; 53(2):121-27.
5. Singh C, Mathur JS, Mishra VN, Singh JB, Garg BS, Kumar A. IJCM 1995; 20(1-4):24-27
6. Tipple P, Sharma SN, Shrivastave AS. Psychiatric morbidity in geriatric people. Indian j Psychiatry 2006;48:88-94
7. Manthorpe J, Iliffe S. Suicide in later life: public health and practitioner perspectives. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry2010; 25:1230- 8.
8. Shah A, Herbert R, Lewis S, Mahendran R, Platt J, Bhattacharyya B. Screening for depression among acutely ill geriatric in patients with a short geriatric depression scale.Age and Ageing1997;26:217-221
9. Chou K L, Chi I. Prevalence and correlates of depression in Chinese oldest-old. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2005:41–50.
10. Khattri JB, Nepal MK. Study of depression among geriatric population in Nepal. Nepal Med Coll J 2006;8(4):220-3
11. Jariwala V, Bansal RK, Patel S, Tamakuwala B.A study of depression among aged in Surat city. National Journal of Community Medicine 2010; 1(1):47-49
12. Begda A, Kantharia SL. Screening of Cognitive Impairment and Depression in Elderly Patients.Indian Journal of Gerontology 2006;20( 4): 347-58
13. Vishal J, Bansal RK, Patel S, Tamakuwala B.A study of depression among aged in surat city. National Journal of Community Medicine 2010; 1(1):47-49.
14. Barua, A, Kar, N. Screening for depression in elderly Indian population. Indian journal of psychiatry 2010;52(2):150-53
15. Lee, Y, Lin, P. Y, Hsu, S. T, Cing-Chi, Y, Yang, L. C, Wen, J. K. Comparing the use of the Taiwanese Depression Questionnaire and Beck Depression Inventory for screening depression in patients with chronic pain. Chang Gung Med J 2008; 31(4):369- 377.
16. Sheikh JI, Yesavage JA. Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS) - Recent evidence and development of a shorter version. Clinical Gerontologis 1986; 5: 165-173.
17. Rajkumar AP, Thangadurai P, Senthilkumar P, Gayathri K, Prince M, Jacob KS. Nature, prevalence and factors associated with depression among the elderly in a rural south Indian community. International Psychogeriatric 2009; 21:2, 372–378
18. Jain RK, Aras RY. Depression in geriatric population in urban slums of Mumbai. Indian J Public Health. 2007; 51(2):112-3.
19. Pennix BWJH, Geerlings SW, Deeg DJH, van et al. Minor and Major Depression and The Risk of Death in older Persons. Arch Gen Psychiat 1999; 56:889-895
20. Dorsey SM, Rodriguez HD, Brathwaite D. Are things really so different? A research finding of satisfaction, illness and depression in rural South African elderly. ABNF J 2002; 13: 41-4.
21. Tellez-Zenteno JF, Cardiel MH. Risk factors and associated with depression in patients with type 2 diabetis mellitus. Arch. Med. Res.2002; 33: 53-60.