IJCRR - Vol 08 Issue 13, July, 2016
IMMUNOHISTOCHEMISTRY STUDY FOR HER-2/NEU EXPRESSION IN LESIONS OF UTERINE CERVIX
Author: Pramod Sarwade, Sunita Patil, Rajan Bindu
1. To study expression of HER-2/neu in lesions of uterine cervix by immunohistochemistry.
2. To correlate expression of HER-2/neu with histological type, grade and stage of cervical malignancy.
Methods: Total 50 cases were included during the period from October 2013 to October 2015. Immunohistochemical studies were done on formalin-fixed paraffin embedded tissue blocks with HER-2/neu antibody.
Results: Out of fifty cases, 10 cases (20%) of adenocarcinoma (ADC), 1 case (2%) of adenosquamous carcinoma, 4 cases (8%) of CIN, 3 cases (6%) of chronic cervicitis, 2 cases (4%) of chronic cervicitis with squamous metaplasia, 30 cases (60%) of squamous cell carcinoma of cervix (SCC). And It Amongst 9 cases of poorly differentiated SCC cases, 2 cases showed 1+ positivity, 2 cases showed 2+ positivity, 1 case showed 3+ positivity. Out of 16 cases of moderately differentiated SCC, 4 cases showed 1+ positivity, 4 cases showed 2+ positivity, 2 cases showed 3+ positivity. Among 5 cases of well differentiated SCC, 2 cases showed 1+ positivity. Out of 10 cases of adenocarcinoma of cervix, 2 cases of well differentiated adenocarcinoma showed 1+ positivity. Each 2 cases of moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma showed 1+ and 2+ positivity. Cervical carcinoma cases with involvement of lymph node and parametrium showed stronger HER-2/neu staining.
Conclusion: Higher HER-2/neu expression was noted in malignant lesion as compared to benign lesions. Stronger HER-2/neu expression was noted among higher stage tumors and those with parametrial and lymph node involvement.
Keywords: HER-2/neu expression, Immunohistochemistry, Cervical lesions
Pramod Sarwade, Sunita Patil, Rajan Bindu. IMMUNOHISTOCHEMISTRY STUDY FOR HER-2/NEU EXPRESSION IN LESIONS OF UTERINE CERVIX International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 08 Issue 13, July, 50-57
1. Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, Dikshit R, Eser S, Mathers C et al. GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 11 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2013. Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr, accessed on 23rd July 2014.
2. Wadhwani R, Bamnia R, Meena M. Clinico-pathological analysis of cancer cervix in tertiary care centre. J Evol Med Den Sci. 2013;2(39):7381-85.
3. Dueñas-Gonzalez A, Cetina L, Mariscal I, de la Garza J. Modern management of locally advanced cervical carcinoma. Cancer Treat Rev. 2003;29:389-99.
4. Singleton TP, Niehans GA, Gu F, Litz CE, Hagen K, Qiu Q, et al. Detection of c-erbB-2 activation in paraffin-embedded tissue by immunohistochemistry. Hum Pathol 1992 Oct:23(10);1141-50.
5. Nevin J, Laing D, Kaye P, McCulloch T, Barnard R, Silcocks P, et al. The significance of Erb-b2 immunostaining in cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol 1999;73:354-8
6. Reyes HD, Thiel KW, Carlson MJ, Meng X, Yang S, Stephan J, et al. Comprehensive profiling of EGFR/HER receptors for personalized treatment of gynecologic cancers. MolDiagnTher. 2014;18(2):137-51.
7. Iqbal N, Iqbal N. Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2 (HER2) in Cancers: Overexpression and Therapeutic Implications. Mol Biol Int [Internet]. 2014;2014:1-9. Available from: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/mbi/2014/852748/
8. Wolff AC, Hammond MEH, Hicks DG, Dowsett M, McShane LM, Allison KH, et al. Recommendations for Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2 Testing in Breast Cancer. American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists Clinical Practice Guideline Update. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2014; 138: 241–256.
9. Gupta N, Singh S, Marwah N, Kumar S, Chabra S, Sen R. HER2/neu expression in lesions of uterine cervix: Is it reliable and consistent?. Indian J PatholMicrobiol. 2009;52:482-5.
10. Li G, Yu D, Zhong-Qiu W. Significance of EGFR, HER-2 and VEGF expressions in cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res Clin. 2013;25(11):750-3.
11. Protrka Z, Mitrovi? S, Arsenijevi? N, Baskic D, Radosavljevic G, Stankovic M, et al.HER-2 expression in uterine cervix carcinogenesis. J BUON. 2007;12(1):91-7.
12. Joseph T and Raghuveer CV. HER-2/neu expression in cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and cervical carcinoma. International Journal of Biomedical and Advance Research 2015; 6(01):47- 52.
13. Costa MJ, Walls J, Trelford JD. c-erbB-2 oncoprotein overexpression in uterine cervix carcinoma with glandular differentiation. A frequent event but not an independent prognostic marker because it occurs late in the disease. Am J Clin Pathol. 1995;104:634-42.
14. Lakshmi S, Nair MB, Jayaprakash PG, Rajalekshmy TN, Nair MK, Pillai MR. c- erbB-2 oncoprotein and epidermal growth factor receptor in cervical lesions. Pathobiology. 1997;65:163-8.
15. Ndubisi B, Sanz S, Lu L, Podczaski E, Benrubi G, Masood S. The prognostic value of HER-2/neu oncogene in cervical cancer. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 1997;27(6):396-401.
16. Kihana T, Tsuda H, Teshima S,Nomoto K, Tsugane S, Sonoda T, et al. Prognostic significance of the overexpression of cerbB-2 protein in adenocarcinoma of the uterine cervix. Cancer. 1994;73:148-53.
17. Mandai M, Konishi I, Koshiyama M, Komatsu T, Yamamoto S, Nanbu K, et al. Altered expression of nm23-H1 and c-erb B-2 proteins have prognostic significance in adenocarcinoma but not in squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix. Cancer. 1995;75:2523-9.
18. Ray A, Naik SL, Sharma BK. Distribution of prognostically unfavorable product of C-erb B-2 oncogene and EGFR in carcinomas of the breast and uterine cervix. Indian J PhysiolPharmacol. 2002;46(4):423-33.
19. Yong H, Shumo C, Shaoyin Y, Daren S. Expression of c-erbB-2 and PCNA in cervical adenocarcinoma and its signification. Chin J Canc Res. 1998;10(1):68-70.