IJCRR - 8(13), July, 2016
ASSOCIATION OF SERUM MAGNESIUM WITH GLYCEMIC CONTROL AND INSULIN RESISTANCE IN PATIENTS WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS
Author: A. Velayutharaj, R. Saraswathi, R. Shivakumar, S. Saha, G. Niranjan, R. Ramesh, AR. Sreenivasan
Background - Context: Magnesium is an essential intracellular cation involved in many carbohydrate oxidation enzyme reactions and in glucose transporting mechanisms besides its involvement in insulin secretion, binding and activity. Body concentrations of Mg++ lowered by poor glycemic control and may predispose for diabetic complications.
Objective: To compare the levels of serum magnesium in type 2 diabetes patients with glycemic control, insulin resistance and lipid profile.
Design, setting and patients: 90 type 2 Diabetes patients who are undergoing treatment protocol were followed by a tertiary care hospital and the correlation of serum magnesium levels assessed against indicators of glycemic control and insulin resistance.
Main outcome: Since hypomagnesemia is a prime risk factor for the development of micro and macro vascular complications, this study was undertaken to find out the association, if any, between hypomagnesemia, glycemic control, lipid profile and insulin resistance.
The results: A plasma Magnesium concentration of 40 (out of 90) type 2 diabetes patients in our study were below the reference range (mean 1.4±0.22 mg %). In patients with hypomagnesemia, the mean Glycated hemoglobin was 9.1±1.4%, which was 130% higher than the mean Glycated hemoglobin value in normomagnesemic patients (6.98±1%) and found significant inverse correlationship between GlycatedHb levels and Serum Magnesium levels at a value of -0.713 with a p value less than 0.01 and also showed significant correlationship with HOM Air values, Fasting blood glucose, and HDL-C levels and TAG levels.
Conclusions: There was a high prevalence of hypomagnesemia in patients with T2DM reduces insulin sensitivity and may increase the risk of secondary complications. And there was a direct correlation between HDL-C and Magnesium levels; hence it is advisable to periodically monitor plasma Mg++ concentrations in diabetic patients, especially those with other risk factors such as alcoholism, familial history of CVD, etc. to reduce future complications.
Keywords: Serum magnesium, Insulin resistance, Glucose transporting mechanism, International diabetes association
A. Velayutharaj, R. Saraswathi, R. Shivakumar, S. Saha, G. Niranjan, R. Ramesh, AR. Sreenivasan. ASSOCIATION OF SERUM MAGNESIUM WITH GLYCEMIC CONTROL AND INSULIN RESISTANCE IN PATIENTS WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS International Journal of Current Research and Review. 8(13), July, 17-23
1. Chaudhary DP, Sharma R, Bansal DD. Implications of magnesium deficiency in Type 2 Diabetes. Biol Trace Elem Res 2010; May: 119 – 29.
2. Akira Katsuki, MD Yasuhiro Sumida, MD Esteban C. Gabazza, Shuichi Murashima Masahiko Furuta, Rika Araki-Sasaki, Yasuko Hori, Yutaka Yano. Homeostasis Model Assessment Is a Reliable Indicator of Insulin Resistance During Follow-up of Patients With Type 2 Diabetes; Diabetes Care February 2001 vol. 24 no. 2 362-65.
3. International Expert Committee report on the role of the A1C assay in the diagnosis of diabetes. Diabetes Care. Jul 2009; 32(7):1327-34.
4. Pham, P.C., P.M. Pham, P.A. Pham, S.V. Pham, H.V. Pham and J.M. Miller, 2005. Lower serum magnesium levels are associated with more rapid decline of renal function in patients with diabetes mellitus type 2. Clin. Nephrol., 63(6): 429-36.
5. Paul Marino: Fluid and electrolyte disorders– Magnesium. The ICU Book, 2nd ed., Philadelphia, Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins 2004; 660-72.
6. Rosolova H, Mayer O, Jr. and Reaven G (1997) Effect of variations in plasma magnesium concentration on resistance to insulin-mediated glucose disposal in nondiabetic subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82, 3783-85.
7. Paolisso G and Barbagallo M (1997) Hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and insulin resistance: the role of intracellular magnesium. Am J Hypertens 10, 346-55.
8. Kao WH, Folsom AR, Nieto FJ, Mo JP, Watson RL and Brancati FL (1999) Serum and dietary magnesium and the risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Arch Intern Med 159, 2151-59.
9. Nadler JL, Malayan S, Luong H, Shaw S, Natarajan RD, Rude RK. Intracellular free magnesium deficiency plays a key role in increased platelet reactivity in type II diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 1992;15:835–41
10. Ma J, Folsom AR, Melnick SL, Eckfeldt JH, Sharrett AR, Nabulsi AA, et al. Associations of serum and dietary magnesium with cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes, insulin, and carotid arterial wall thickness: the ARIC study. Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. J Clin Epidemiol 1995; 48:927–40.
11. Nadler JL, Rude RK. Disorders of magnesium metabolism. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 1995; 24:623–41.
12. Senthil Manikandan Thirumanilayur Jayaraman, Kannan Rajendran, Prasanna Karthik Suthakaran, Lal Devayani Vasudevan Nair, Lokesh Rajaram, Rajiv Gnanasekar, Rajendran Karuthodiyil.Study on serum magnesium levels and glycemic status in newly detected type 2 diabetes patients. Int J Adv Med. 2016; 3(1): 11-14
13. Mather HM, Levin GE, Nisbet JA. Hypomagnesemia and ischemic-heart-disease in diabetes. Diabetes Care 1982; 5:452–3.
14. Martha Rodriguez Moran, Fernando Guerrero –Romero .Diabetes care vol.26:4.April 2003 15. Sheehan JP (1991) Magnesium deficiency and diabetes mellitus. Magnes Trace Elem 10, 215-19.
16. Jain Meenu , Jadeja Jayendrasinh M , Mehta Neeta. Correlation between HbA1c Values And Lipid Profile In Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. International Journal of Basic and Applied Physiology . 2013;Vol. 2 Issue 1;47-50
17. Netravathi Sajjan et al. A study of serum magnesium and dyslipidemia in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. International Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Research 2016;3(1):36-41.
18. Asha S Khubchandani*, Hiren Sanghani**Study of Serum Magnesium and HbA1C in Diabetic Patients along with Changes in their Lipid Profiles. Indian Journal of Clinical Practice, Vol. 23, No. 11, April 2013
19. Ramachandra Prabhu .H .D1 , Sruthi Kunche2 . Study of Serum Magnesium and HbA1c in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients .International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR).2013; Volume 4 Issue 6, June 2015 (2521-24).
20. Papanikolaou Y, Brooks J, Reider C, Fulgoni VL (2014) Dietary Magnesium Usual Intake is Associated with Favorable Diabetes-Related Physiological Outcomes and Reduced Risk of Metabolic Syndrome: An NHANES 2001-2010 Analysis. J Hum Nutr Food Sci 2(3): 1038.