IJCRR - 8(15), August, 2016
CURLI FIBRES AND PRION STRUCTURAL REVERSIONS - IMPLICATIONS TO PHYSICAL BIOLOGY STUDIES
Author: A. Barbora
New investigations in the field of protein structures, bacterial exudes and prion research; and related experimental indications derived suggest that when infectious forms of prion plaques placed in or with resistance – providing variant form(s) are irradiated with appropriate laser power; reversions of prion plaques into structures like coils, helices, etc. may hypothetically take place. These structures are less stable than the beta sheets, hence more susceptible to being biologically cleared off the plaque residues. This provides for a means to effectively cure or prevent prion – like amyloid plaque related diseases; with further implications for physical biology.
Keywords: Curli fibres, Prions, Amyloids, Protein structure - coils, Helices, Biofilms, etc
A. Barbora. CURLI FIBRES AND PRION STRUCTURAL REVERSIONS - IMPLICATIONS TO PHYSICAL BIOLOGY STUDIES International Journal of Current Research and Review. 8(15), August, 01-03
1. Barnhart MM, Chapman MR. Curli Biogenesis and Function. Annu Rev Microbiol. 2006;60:131-47.
2. Shewmaker F,Ryan P, McGlinchey,Thurber KR,McPhie P,Dyda F et al. The Functional Curli Amyloid Is Not Based on In-register Parallel β-Sheet Structure. J Biol Chem. 2009 Sep 11;284(37):25065-76. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M109.007054. Epub 2009 Jul 1.
3. Amyloid. March 25, 2016. InWikipedia. Retrieved April 13, 2016, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amyloid.
4. Lin CY, Gurlo T, Kayed R. Toxic human islet amyloid polypeptide (h-IAPP) oligomers are intracellular, and vaccination to induce anti-toxic oligomer antibodies does not prevent h-IAPPinduced beta-cell apoptosis in h-IAPP transgenic mice. Diabetes. 2007 May;56(5):1324-32. Epub 2007 Mar 12.
5. Fändrich M. On the structural definition of amyloid fibrils and other polypeptide aggregates. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2007 Aug;64(16):2066-78.
6. Collinge J. Prion diseases of humans and animals: their causes and molecular basis. Annu Rev Neurosci. 2001;24:519-50.
7. Masel J, Jansen VA, Nowak MA. Quantifying the kinetic parameters of prion replication.Biophys Chem. 1999 Mar 29;77(2- 3):139-52.
8. Mead S, Whitfield J, Poulter M, Shah P, Uphill J, Campbell T et al. A novel protective prion protein variant that colocalizes with kuru exposure.N Engl J Med 2009; 361:2056-2065November 19, 2009DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa0809716.
9. Asante EA, Smidak M,Grimshaw A,Houghton R, Tomlinson A,Jeelani A et al. A naturally occurring variant of the human prion protein completely prevents prion disease. Nature 522, 478–481 (25 June 2015) doi:10.1038/nature14510.
10. Post K, Pitschke M, Schäfer O,Wille H,Appel TR, Kirsch D et al. Rapid acquisition of beta-sheet structure in the prion protein prior to multimer formation. Biol Chem. 1998 Nov;379(11):1307- 17.
11. Cebe P, Hu X, Kaplan DL, Zhuravlev E,Wurm A, Arbeiter D et al. Beating the heat--fast scanning melts silk beta sheet crystal. Sci Rep. 2013;3:1130. doi: 10.1038/srep01130. Epub 2013 Jan 24.
12. Macedo B, Sant’Anna R, Navarro S, Cordeiro Y, Ventura S. Mammalian prion protein (PrP) forms conformationally different amyloid intracellular aggregates in bacteria. Microbial Cell Factories201514:174 DOI: 10.1186/s12934-015-0361-y
13. Bjordal JM, Couppé C, Chow RT, Tunér J, Ljunggren AE. A systematic review of low level laser therapy with locationspecific doses for pain from joint disorders. Aust J Physiother. 2003;49(2):107-16.