IJCRR - Vol 08 Issue 16, August, 2016
EVALUATION OF POST OPERATIVE COMPLAINTS IN FIXED PARTIAL DENTURE WEARERS AND THOSES WITH CROWNS: A QUESTIONNAIRE BASED STUDY
Author: Nandhini G. Ashok, Sangeetha S.
Aim: To evaluate the post-operative complaints of patients having crowns and fixed partial dentures by means of a simple questionnaire.
Methodology: A sample questionnaire with 15 questions was prepared, pertained to the period of the prosthesis in place, the nature of complaint as told by patient in his or her own words, number of units involved, and the type of materials used in fabrication of prosthesis. The study was carried out in patients who visited Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals as outpatients from January 2016 to April 2016. A total of One hundred patients were randomly selected and interviewed.
Objective: All the patients of our dental college who underwent tooth replacement by means of a fixed partial denture and crowns were included in the study to evaluate the problems encountered after post-operative insertion of the prosthesis.
Reason: To create an awareness among the dentists about the problems encountered with our patients and to manage them accordingly as patients’ comfort is of at most importance to us.
Result: Most of the failures are due to poor patient care after insertion while the others occur as a result of defective design and inadequate execution of clinical and laboratory procedures. In this study, clinic survey was undertaken to access the patients discomfort after cementation of prosthesis. The most common problem encountered was looseness and repeated dislodgement. Other complains such as food impaction, inability to maintain oral hygiene, sensitivity, pain and esthetic issues were also encountered.
Conclusion: The knowledge regarding the clinical Fixed Partial Denture complications enhances students’ ability to complete a through diagnosis, developed most appropriate to patients and communicate realistic expectations to patients and plan time internals needed for post-treatment care in the dental institutions
Keywords: Fixed partial dentures, Post-operative complaints, Crowns, Evaluation
Nandhini G. Ashok, Sangeetha S.. EVALUATION OF POST OPERATIVE COMPLAINTS IN FIXED PARTIAL DENTURE WEARERS AND THOSES WITH CROWNS: A QUESTIONNAIRE BASED STUDY International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 08 Issue 16, August, 30-34
1. Joanne N. Walton; F. Michael Gardner; John R. Agar – A survey of crown and fixed partial denture failures; J.Prosthet., Dent; October 1986; vol. 56, issue 4; 416- 421.
2. Lindquist F. Karlsson S.- Success rate and failures for fixed partial dentures after 20 years of service; Part 1; Int.J.Prosthodont.;1998;Mar-Apr;11 (2); 133 – 8.
3. Manappallil J.J. – Classification system for conventional crown and fixed partial denture failures; J. Prosthet. Dent.; 2008; Apr.; 99 (4);293 – 8 .
4. Charles J. Goodacre; Guillermo Bernal, et.al. - Clinical complications in fixed prosthodontics; J. of Prosthet. Dent.; 2003, July, 90 (1), 31 – 41.
5. Alex Selby – Fixed prosthodontic failure; A review and discussion of important aspects – Australian Dental Journal.; 1994, June, vol. 39, (3); 150 -6.
6. Marxkors R, Wulfes H. Die Einstückgussprothese. Teil V. Dental Labor 2002: 50 : 193-203.
7. Caesar H. Die Versorgung von Frau B. mittotalem Zahnersatz. Dent Labor 2003; 51(7): 1173-8.
8. Toogood GD, Archibald JF. Technique for establishing porcelain margins. J Prosthet Dent 1978: 40: 464–466.