IJCRR - Vol 08 Issue 18, September, 2016
A STUDY ON KNOWLEDGE REGARDING PREVENTION OF IRON DEFICIENCY ANEMIA AMONG ADOLESCENT GIRLS IN SELECTED PRE-UNIVERSITY COLLEGES OF MANGALURU
Author: Niba Johnson, Noufeena D. Y., Parvathi, Priya Joseph, Priya Reshma Aranha, Asha P. Shetty
Introduction: Adolescent period is a critical link between childhood and adulthood, characterized by significant physical, psychological, and social transitions. Adolescent girls are particularly vulnerable to nutritional problems and anemia is one among them. Adequate knowledge can promote good practice and help in the prevention of iron deficiency anaemia. Objectives: The study was carried out to determine the knowledge regarding prevention of iron deficiency anemia among adolescent girls and to find the association between knowledge scores and selected demographic variables. Materials and method: A descriptive survey approach was used in the study, non probability purposive sampling technique was used to select 100 adolescent girls and data was gathered using the structured knowledge questionnaire on iron deficiency anemia. Data was analyzed by using descriptive and inferential statistics. Results: The study result showed that majority (84%) of study sample had moderately adequate knowledge, 11% had inadequate knowledge and 5% had adequate knowledge on prevention of iron deficiency anaemia. There was no significant association found between knowledge scores and the selected demographic variables of the adolescent girls (p>0.05) Conclusion: This study concluded that majority (84%) of the study sample had moderately adequate knowledge on prevention of iron deficiency anemia so it is advisable to provide educational programs for the adolescent girls regarding iron deficiency anemia.
Keywords: Knowledge, Prevention, Iron deficiency anaemia, Adolescent girls
Niba Johnson, Noufeena D. Y., Parvathi, Priya Joseph, Priya Reshma Aranha, Asha P. Shetty. A STUDY ON KNOWLEDGE REGARDING PREVENTION OF IRON DEFICIENCY ANEMIA AMONG ADOLESCENT GIRLS IN SELECTED PRE-UNIVERSITY COLLEGES OF MANGALURU International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 08 Issue 18, September, 05-07
1. Siddharam S, Venkitish G M. Prevalance of anemia among adolescent girls. International journal of biological and medical research, 2011; 12(1):1-28.
2. Kauri S. Deshmukh PR, Grag B.S. Epidemiological correlates of nutritional anemia in adolescent girls of rural Wardha . Indian J Community Med. 2006; 31(1):55-58.
3. Jemal Haidar. Prevalence of anemia, deficiencies of iron and folic acid and their Determinants in Ethiopian women. J of Health, Population and Nutrition, 2010; 28(4):359-368.
4. Latham Mc .Human nutrition in the developing world..J of Food and Nutrition,. 1997;3(1):147-155.
5. Bruno de Benoist , Erin McLean , Ines Eglin , Mary .Worldwide prevalence of anemia . July-February 6th(Internet). 2014(Cited 2015 Oct 3) Available from: URL:http://www.whqli bdoc.who.int/publication
6. Joyce M Black, Jane hokanson Hawks, medical surgical nursing. 7th edition. New Delhi: Elsevier .2005.
7. Wang. Essentials of Peadiatric nursing 8th edition. Published in India: Published by mosby publisher; 2009.
8. Kamla Gupta,Sulabha Parasuraman,Arokiasamy P,Singh SK, Lhungdim H. National family health survey.(Internet). 2005-2006(Cited 2015 Oct 3)Available fropm:URL:http://www. nfhsindia.org
9. Jetea G.S Singh. Prevalance ofAnemia among adolescent girls. J of Food and Nutrition Bulletin.2006; 14(1): 311-315.
10. Nirmala T,Sathya P .Prevalence of anemia among adolescent girls .Nightingale Nursing Times 2011 ; 7(2) :12-16.
11. Hurlock BE .Developmental psychology a life span approach. 5th edition. New Delhi:Tata McGraw Hill company 2006.
12. Suraj gupta . Text book of peadiatrics. 11th edition. New Delhi: JP brothers. 2009.
13. Pattnaik S, Kumar A. prevalence of anemia among adolescent girls in rural area of Odisha. Ind J Mat child Health . 2002;15(1):1-11.
14. Imuntica Francis Tashara. Knowledge and self- reported practices on prevention of iron deficiency anemia. /International J of Advances in Scientific Research. 2015;1(07):289-29.
15. Saillo. Programming for adolescent health and development: report of a WHO/UNFPA/UNICEF study group on programming for adolescent health.(Internet). 1996(Cited 2015 Oct 3) Available from:URL:http://www:apps.who.int .
16. Moreshwar S.A, Naik V. A, Chrostina B.C. A study to assess the effectiveness of planned teaching program on prevention of anemia among school going adolescent girls. International J of Nursing education. 2014;6(1):234-237.
17. Ruhi Varghese, Minakshi Rai. A study to assess the effectiveness of structured teaching program on knowledge regarding iron deficiency anemia and its prevention among adolescent girls. The J of Commu Health Mngt.2015; 2(3):95-96.