IJCRR - Vol 05 Issue 01, January, 2013
UTILITY OF ULTRASOUND GUIDED FINE NEEDLE ASPIRATION CYTOLOGY IN ASSESSING AXILLARY LYMPH NODE STATUS IN CARCINOMA BREAST
Author: Sandhyalakshmi B.N., Poornima Naregal , Rajeev Gothe, M.H. Kulkarni
Assessment of lymphnode status in carcinoma breast is an important factor in staging. Lymphnode status can be evaluated by different methods such as physical examination and sentinel node biopsy. Ultra sonography features such as round, hypo echoic, with loss of central hilum, eccentric cortical hypertrophy of lymphnode indicate the malignant involvement of lymph nodes. This study was conducted to evaluate the ultra sonography features of metastatically involved axillary lymphnodes. Ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration of involved axillary lymph nodes was done to confirm the findings. Ultrasonography of axillary lymphnodes will detect the small lymphnodes which can be missed on physical examination. Ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration will help in removal of metastatically involved lymphnodes in axillary clearance in a single surgery.
Keywords: Ultrasound, FNAC, Axillary lymphnode, Carcinoma breast.
Sandhyalakshmi B.N., Poornima Naregal , Rajeev Gothe, M.H. Kulkarni. UTILITY OF ULTRASOUND GUIDED FINE NEEDLE ASPIRATION CYTOLOGY IN ASSESSING AXILLARY LYMPH NODE STATUS IN CARCINOMA BREAST International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 05 Issue 01, January, 54-57
1. Jae Jeong Choi, Bong Joo Kang, Sung Hun Kim, Ji Hye Lee, Seung Hee Jeong, Hyun Woo Yim et al. Role of Sonographic Elastography in the Differential Diagnosis of Axillary Lymph Nodes in Breast Cancer. J Ultrasound Med 2011; 30:429–436.
2. Isil Gunhan-Bilgen, Esin Emin Ustun, Aysenur Memis. Inflammatory Breast Carcinoma: Mammographic, Ultrasonographic, Clinical and Pathologic Findings in 142 cases. Radiology 2002; 223:829–838.
3. Soledad Alvarez, Enrique Añorbe, Pilar Alcorta, Fernando López, Ignacio Alonso, Julia Cortés. Role of Sonography in the Diagnosis of Axillary Lymph Node Metastases in Breast Cancer: A Systematic Review. AJR 2006; 186:1342–1348.
4. Brian D Hayes, Linda Feeley, Cecily M Quinn, M M Kennedy, Ann O'Doherty, Fidelma Flanagan et al. Axillary fine needle aspiration cytology for pre-operative staging of patients with screen-detected invasive breast carcinoma. J Clin Pathol 2011;64: 338-342.
5. J N Bruneton, E Caramella, M Héry, D Aubanel, J J Manzino and J L Picard. Axillary lymph node metastases in breast cancer: preoperative detection with US. Radiology, 158, February 1986; 325- 326.
6. Valerie P.Jackson. The role of US in breast imaging. Radiology1990; 177:305-311.
7. Patra AK, Malik RN, Dash S. Fine needle aspiration as a primary diagnostic procedure of breast lumps. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 1991; 34(4):259-64.
8. Fraile M, Rull M, Julian FJ, et al. Sentinel node biopsy as a practical alternative to axillary lymphnode dissection in breast cancer patients: an approach to its validity. Ann Oncol 2000; 11:701–705.