IJCRR - 5(2), January, 2013
EVALUATION OF ANTIOXIDANT LEVEL AND TRACE METALS IN ANEMIA
Author: Naila Masood, Imran Ali Shaikh, Ali Raza Memon, Saira Baloch
Background: Anemia is a disorder characterized by reduction in hemoglobin concentration of blood
below the normal level.
It is a global problem, mainly affecting poor people in developing countries.
Methods: to determine trace metals fifty intravenous blood samples anemic patients and normal
subjects were collected and immediately centrifuged to obtain the supernatant liquid, serum of both the
groups for analysis.
Results: The mean serum levels of magnesium, zinc, copper, and iron and
antioxidant activity in anemic patients were 16.05±1.14ppm, 4.33±0.28 ppm, 2.5±0.2ppm,
1.50±0.28ppm and 1.27±0.05ppm respectively. Serum magnesium, zinc, iron and antioxidant levels
were significantly lower whereas, the higher level of Copper was observed in anemic patients
compared to the controls.
Conclusion: Supplementation with deficient trace elements may reduce the
severity of symptoms and complications associated with anemia.
Keywords: Anemia, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Magnesium, Antioxidant Activity.
Naila Masood, Imran Ali Shaikh, Ali Raza Memon, Saira Baloch. EVALUATION OF ANTIOXIDANT LEVEL AND TRACE METALS IN ANEMIA International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(2), January, 135-139
1. Hall A, Miguel E (2001) Anemia in schoolchildren in eight countries in Africa and Asia. Public Health Nutr 4(3):749–756.
2. ADB to pilot project to combat nutritional problems Pakistan. [Online]. 2006 Mar 26[2007 April 5]. Available fr om : htt p://www.adb.org/ Media /Articl/2006/9538. Pakistan-flourfortification/default.asp.
3. Lanzkowsky P (1995) Pediatric hematology and oncology, 2nd edn. Churchill Livingstone, New York.
4. Haas JD, Brownlie TT (2001) Iron deficiency and reduced work capacity: a critical review of the research to determine a causal relationship. J Nutr 131:676S–688S.
5. Grantham-McGregor S, Ani C (2001) A review of studies on the effect of iron deficiency on cognitive development in children. J Nutr 131:649S–666S.
6. Sherriff A, Emond A, Bell JC, Golding J (2001) Should infants be screened for anaemia? A prospective study investigating the relation between haemoglobin at 8, 12, and 18 months and development at 18 months. Arch Dis Child 84:480–485.
7. Afridi HI, Kazi TG, Kazi GH (2005) Evaluation of status of trace and toxic metals in scalp hair samples of normal and anemic human subjects. American Biot Lab 23(8):27.
8. Castillo-Duran C, Garcia H, Venegas P (1994) Zinc supplementation increases growth velocity of male children and adolescents with short stature. Acta Paediatr 83:833.
9. Singh S, Ravishanker R, Singhi P, Nath R (2003) Low plasma zinc and iron in pica. Indian J Pediatr 70(2):139–143.
10. Percival SS (1995) Neutropenia caused by copper deficiency. Nutr Rev 53:59–66.
11. Tammura H, Hirose S, Watanave O (1994) Anemia and neutropenia due to copper deficiency in enternal nutrition. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 18:185–189.
12. Lukaski HC (1999) Chromium as a supplement. Annu Rev Nutr 19:279–302.
13. Oski FA (1993) Iron deficiency in infancy and childhood. N Engl J Med 329(3):190–193.
14. Hallberg L, Brune M, Rossander L (1989) Iron absorption in man: ascorbic acid and dosedependent inhibition by phytate. Am J Clin Nutr 49:140–144.
15. Lozoff B, Jimenez E, Wolf W (1991) Longterm developmental outcome of infants with iron deficiency.N Engl J Med 325:687–693.
16. Sondstrom B (1990) Effect of inositol hexaphosphate on retention of zinc and calcium from the human colon. Eur J Clin Nutr 44:705– 708.
17. L’Abbe MR, Friel JK (1992) Copper status of very low birth weight infants during the first 12 months of infancy. Pediatr Res 32:183–188.
18. Larsson S, Kallebring B, Wittung P, Malmstrom BG (1995) The Cu A center of cytochrome-c oxidase: electronic structure and spectra of models compared to the properties of Cu A domains. Proc Natl Acad Sci 92:7167– 7171.
19. Tapiero H, Townsend DM, Tew KD (2003) Trace elements in human physiology and pathology. Copper. Biomed Pharmacother 57(9):386–398.
20. Gacheru N, Trackman PC, Shah MA (1990) Structural and catalytic properties of copper in lysyl oxidase. J Biol Chem 265(31):19022– 19027.
21. Swaminathan R. Magnesium metabolism and its disorders. Clin Biochem Rev 2003;24(2):47- 66.
22. Barbagallo M, Dominguez LJ. Magnesium metabolism in type 2 diabetes mellitus, metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance. Arch Biochem Biophys 2007;458(1):40-4