IJCRR - 5(2), January, 2013
ACCURACY OF ULTRASOUND GUIDED FINE NEEDLE ASPIRATION CYTOLOGY IN THE EVALUATION OF THYROID NODULES
Author: Senthil Panneerselvam, Rajan K. Vaithianathan, Ramachandran Santhanam
Background: Thyroid nodules are a common problem which requires an accurate cytological diagnosis for proper management. An essential investigation modality is fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) with a sensitivity ranging between 80-90%. Recommendations vary regarding the use of ultrasound in improving the accuracy of free hand fine needle aspiration biopsy. Objective: The aim of our study was to investigate the role and accuracy of ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration cytology in the evaluation of patients with thyroid nodules.
Methods: Forty four patients with nodular thyroid disease who were assessed by ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration cytology (US-FNAC) followed by thyroidectomy were identified. Retrospective analysis of data on the cytology specimens and histological results was carried out.
Results: The sensitivity and specificity of US-FNAC for diagnosing thyroid neoplasms were 91.7% and 93.3% respectively. The diagnostic accuracy was 92.8%, with the rate of inadequate smears as 4.6%.
Conclusions: Ultrasound guided fine needle cytology of thyroid nodules yields more accurate results, with a decrease in the number of inadequate sample category. Precise targeting of lesions in both palpable and non palpable thyroid nodules by the FNA needle under ultrasound guidance will increase the diagnostic accuracy, thereby avoiding or reducing the number of unnecessary thyroid surgeries.
Keywords: thyroid nodule, ultrasound guided, FNAC, neoplasm
Senthil Panneerselvam, Rajan K. Vaithianathan, Ramachandran Santhanam. ACCURACY OF ULTRASOUND GUIDED FINE NEEDLE ASPIRATION CYTOLOGY IN THE EVALUATION OF THYROID NODULES International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(2), January, 94-100
1. Cramer H. Fine needle aspiration cytology of the thyroid: an appraisal. Cancer Cytopathol 2000; 90:325–
2. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and Asso ciazione Medici Endocrinologi medical guidelines for clinical practice for the diagnosis and management of thyroid nodules. Endocr Pract 2006; 12:63 102
3. Soderstrom N. Puncture of goiters for aspiration biopsy. Acta Med Scand 1952; 144:237–44
4. Perros P. Report of the Thyroid Cancer Guidelines Update Group.2nd ed. London: Royal College of Physicians; 2007. British Thyroid Association, Royal College of Physicians. Guidelines for the management of thyroid cancer.
5. Cobin RH, Gharib H, Bergman DA, Clark OH, Cooper DS, Daniels GH, et al. AACE/AAES medical/surgical guidelines for clinical practice: management of thyroid carcinoma. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. American College of Endocrinology. Endocr Pract. 2001; 7:202– 20.
6. Gharib H. Fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules: Advantages, limitations, and effect. Mayo Clin Proc. 1994; 69:44–9.
7. Castro MR, Gharib H. Thyroid fine needle aspiration biopsy: Progress, practice, and pitfalls. Endocr Pract. 2003; 9:128–36.
8. Gharib H, Goellner JR. Fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules. Endocr Pract. 1995;1:410–17.
9. Jeffrey PB, Miller TR. Fine needle aspiration cytology of the thyroid. Pathology (Phila) 1996;4:319–35.
10. Ahmet Selcuk Can and Kamil Peker. Comparison of palpation versus ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration biopsies in the evaluation of thyroid nodules. BMC Research Notes 2008; 1:12
11. Dilip K Sankhala, Samir S Hussein, Haddia Bererhi, Omeima El Shafie, Nicholas J Woodhouse, V Nirmala. Are scintigraphy and Ultrasonography necessary before fine needle aspiration cytology for thyroid nodules? Squ journal for scientific research Medical sciences 2001; 1: 29 33.
12. Kopald KH, Layfield LJ, Mohrmann R, Foshaq LJ, Giuliano AE. Clarifying the role of fine needle aspiration cytologic evaluation and frozen section examination in the operative management of thyroid cancer. Arch Surg 1989;124:1201–5.
13. Wu HH, Jones JN, Osman J. Fine needle aspiration cytology of the thyroid: ten years experience in a community teaching hospital. Diagn Cytopathol 2006;34:93–96.
14. Serna de la Saravia C, Cuellar F, Saravio Day E, Harach HR. Accuracy of aspiration cytology in thyroid cancer: a study in 1 institution. Acta Cytol 2006;50:384–387.
15. Sangalli G, Serio G, Zampatti C, Bellotti M, Lomuscio G. Fine needle aspiration cytology of the thyroid: a comparison of 5469 cytological and final histological diagnoses. Cytopathology 2006;17: 245–250.
16. Sahin M, Sengul A, Berki Z, Tutuncu NB, uvener ND. Ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration biopsy and ultrasonographic features of infracenti metric nodules in patients with nodular goiter: correlation with pathological findings. Endocr Pathol 2006;17:67–74.
17. Cai XJ, Valiyaparambath N, Nixon P, Waghorn A, Giles T, Helliwell T. Ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis and manage ment of thyroid nodules. Cytopathology 2006;17: 251–256.
18. Zagorianakou P, Malamou Mitsi V, Zagorianakou N, Stefanou D, Tsatsoulis A, Agnantis NJ. The role of fine needle aspiration biopsy in the management of patients with thyroid nodules. In Vivo 2005;19: 605–609.
19. Sclabas GM, Staerkel GA, Shapiro SE, et al. Fine needle aspiration of the thyroid and correlation with histopathology in a contemporary series of 240 patients. Am J Surg 2003;186:702–709; dis cussion 709– 710.
20. Ogawa Y, Kato Y, Ikeda K, et al. The value of ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration cytology for thyroid nodules: an assessment of its diagnostic potential and pitfalls. Surg Today 2001;31:97–101.
21. Mittendorf EA, Tamarkin SW, McHenry CR. The results of ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration biopsy for evaluation of nodular thyroid disease. Surgery 2002;132:648–653; discussion 653–654.
22. Kessler A, Gavriel H, Zahav S, et al. Accuracy and consistency of fine needle aspiration biopsy in the diagnosis and management of solitary thyroid nod ules. Isr Med Assoc J 2005;7:371–373.
23. Blanco Carrera C, Garcia Diaz JD, Maqueda Villaizan E, Martinez Onsurbe P, Pelaez Torres N, Saavedra Vallejo P. Diagnostic efficacy of fine needle aspiration biopsy in patients with thyroid nodular disease: analysis of 510 cases [in Spanish]. Rev Clin Esp 2005; 205:374–378.
24. Belfiore A, La Rosa GL. Fine needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 2001;30:361–400.
25. Koike E, Yamashita H, Noguchi S, Murakami T, Ohshima A, Maruta J, et al. Effect of combining ultrasonography and ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration biopsy findings for the diagnosis of thyroid nodules. Eur J Surg2001;167:656 1.
26. Mazzaferri EL. Management of a solitary thyroid nodule. N Engl J Med 1993;328:553 9.
27. Danese D, Sciacchitano S, Farsetti A, Andreoli M, Pontecorvi A. Diagnostic accuracy of conventional versus sonography guided fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules. Thyroid 1998;8:15–21.
28. Cai XJ, Valiyaparambath N, Nixon Pet al. Ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis and management of thyroid nodules. Cytopathology 2006;17:251–6.
29. Robinson IA, Cozens NJA. Does a joint ultrasound guided cytology clinic optimize the cytological evaluation of head and neck masses?. Clin Radiol 1999;54:312–6.
30. Kojic Katovic S, Halbauer M, Tomic Brzac H. Importance of FNAC in the detection of tumours within multinodular goiter of the thyroid. Cytopathology 2004;15:206–11.
31. Kovacevic O, Skurla MS. Sonographic diagnosis of thyroid nodules: correlation with the results of sonographically guided fine needle aspiration biopsy. J Clin Ultrasound 2007;35:63–7.
32. Cesur M, Corapcioglu D, Bulut S, et al. Comparison of palpation guided fine needle aspiration biopsy to ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration biopsy in the evaluation of thyroid nodules. Thyroid 2006; 16:555–61.
33. Baskin HJ. Ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules and multinodular goiters. Endocr Pract 2004; 10:242 5.
34. Izquierdo R, Arekat MR, Knudson PE, Kartun KF, Khurana K, Kort K, Numann PJ: Comparison of palpation guided versus ultra sound guided fine needle aspiration biopsies of thyroid nodules in an outpatient endocrinology practice. Endocr Pract 2006; 12:609 14.
35. Orija IB, Pineyro M, Biscotti C, Reddy SS, Hamrahian AH: Value of repeating a non diagnostic thyroid fine needle aspiration biopsy. Endocr Pract 2007; 13:735 42.