IJCRR - 5(2), January, 2013
URBAN INDUSTRIALIZATION IS A CAUSE FOR MIGRATION: AN EVIDENCE FROM NORTH - KARNATAKA
Author: Guruprasad Ganeshkar, Rama B. Gouda
Category: General Sciences
Industrialization is used as synonym for the development and might also be used for urbanization which creates a wide range of job, business trade opportunities in urban areas. Industrialization in urban areas is leading the rural people to migrate to urban area and there are various reasons for migration. In this connection, an attempt is made in this paper is to analyze the reasons or causes for migration of rural people to urban areas, mainly to industrial sector. With this background, the main objective of the present study is to understand the role and impact of urbanization in migration of rural poor to urban areas. As the study is based on primary data, 220 labours working in different types of industries were interviewed. The present study has been undertaken in Belgaum District of North Karnataka, which is considered as less developed compared to South Karnataka in Karnataka state. This study found that the employment (in industries) related reasons had led the rural people to migrate to urban areas.
Keywords: Labours, Migration, Industrialization, Urbanization, Employment.
Guruprasad Ganeshkar, Rama B. Gouda. URBAN INDUSTRIALIZATION IS A CAUSE FOR MIGRATION: AN EVIDENCE FROM NORTH - KARNATAKA International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(2), January, 01-07
1. Lewis, Arthur W.,‘Economic Development with Unlimited Supplies of Labour’, TheManchester School, 22 (2), 1954, pp.139- 191.
2. Subhash Chandra Garg,, Mobilizing Urban Infrastructure Finance In India In A Responsible Fiscal Framework; Edited Book, Financing Cities Fiscal Responsibility and Urban Infrastructure in Brazil, China, India, Poland and South Africa, The World Bank publication,pp.109, 2005.
3. Bhagat B. Ram ., Urban Growth by City and Town Size in India, International Institute for Population Sciences, Mumbai-400088, India, pg.no 19, 2005.
4. NSS 64th ROUND., Migration in India , National Sample Survey Office, Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of India.,2007-2008, NSS 64th ROUND (July 2007 – June 2008), pg.no-11, June 2010.
5. Agrawal Ankush and Vikas Kumar., Nagaland's Demographic Somersault, IEG Working Paper No. 311, 2012.
6. Chambers, R. (ed.), The Volta Resettlement Experience, London: Pall Mall Press, 1970.
7. Birhan Asmame Miheretu, Causes and Consequences of Rural-Urban Migration: The Case of Woldiya town, North Ethiopia, university of South Africa, working paper. Pg. No 60-90, 2011 June.