IJCRR - Vol 05 Issue 04, February, 2013
EFFECT OF DURATION OF EXPOSURE TO SILICA DUST ON LUNG FUNCTION IMPAIRMENT IN STONE CRUSHER WORKERS OF MARATHWADA REGION
Author: Sachin B Rathod, Smita R. Sorte
Silicosis is one of the oldest occupational disease. It kills thousands of people every year all over the world. It is an irreversible fibrotic process without cure and so best treatment is prevention. Prevalence of silicosis in India differs according to amount of silica in dust and time interval of exposure. Due to lack of data from Marathwada region of Maharashtra, we aimed this study to know effect of duration of exposure to silica dust in stone crusher workers. A cross-sectional type of observational study was conducted. Pulmonary function tests were recorded in 120 male stone crusher workers. Intergroup statistical analysis amongst the workers depending on duration of exposure was carried out by Analysis of Variance (ANNOVA). We found that pulmonary function test bears relationship with duration of exposure, as the duration of exposure increases the pulmonary function tests goes on decreasing.
Keywords: Pulmonary function test, stone crusher workers, silica, lung function test, silicosis, duration of exposure
Sachin B Rathod, Smita R. Sorte. EFFECT OF DURATION OF EXPOSURE TO SILICA DUST ON LUNG FUNCTION IMPAIRMENT IN STONE CRUSHER WORKERS OF MARATHWADA REGION International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 05 Issue 04, February, 121-125
1. Gottesfeld P, Nicas M, Kephart JW, Balakrishnana K, Rinehart R. Reduction of respirable silica following the introduction of water spray applications in Indian stone crusher mills. Int J occup Environ Health 2008;14(2):94-103.
2. Tiwari RR, Sathwara NG, Saiyed HN. Serum copper levels among quartz stone crushing workers: A cross sectional study. Indian J Physio Pharmacol 2004;48(3):337-342.
3. Saiyad HN, Tiwari RR. Occupational health research in India. Industrial Health 2004;42:141-148
4. Saiyed HN, Parikh DJ, Ghodasara NB, Sharma YK, Patel GC, Chatterjee SK. Silicosis in slate pencil workers: I. An environmental and medical study. Am J Ind Med.1985;8(2):127–133.
5. Saiyed HN, Ghodasara NB, Sathwara NG, Patel GC, Parikh DJ, Kashyap SK. Dustiness, silicosis and tuberculosis in small scale pottery worker. Indian J Med Res. 1995 Sep;102:138- 42.
6. An Uncommonly Diagnosed Common Occupational Disease. ICMR Bulletin 1999; 29(9). [Internet]. [Cited on 2010 Nov 21]. Available from: http://icmr.nic.in/busep99.htm
7. Tiwari RR, Narain R, Patel BD, Makwana IS, Saiyad HN. Spirometric measurements among quartz stone ex-workers of Gujarat, India. J Occup Health 2003;45:88-93.
8. A.K.Jain. Textbook of Physiology.4 ed. Avichal publishing compony; 2009. Pulmonary function tests; p.488-489.
9. P.S.Shankar. Pulmonary Function Tests in Healthy and Disease. 1st Edition 1998.
10. Kulkarni GK. Prevention and control of silicosis: A national challenge. Indian Journal of Occup Envior Med 2007;11(3):95-96
. 11. Ghotkar VB, Maldhure BR, Zodpey SP. Involvement of lung and lung function tests in Stone quarry workers. Ind. J. Tub. 1995;42:155-160.
12. Liou SH, Shih WY, Chen YP, Lee CC. Pneumoconiosis and pulmonary function defects in silica- exposed fire brick workers. Arch Environ Health 1996;51(3):227-233.
13. Koo JW, Chung CK, Chung YP, Lee SH, Lee KS, Roh YM, Yim HW. The effect of silica dust on ventilatory function of Foundry workers. J Occup Health 2000;42:251-257.
14. Subhashini AS, Satchidhanandam N. Maximal expiratory flow volume curve in quarry workers. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2002 Jan;46(1):78-84.
15. Bahrami AR, Mahjub H. Comparative study of lung function in Iranian factory workers exposed to silica dust. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2003;9(3):390-398.
16. Chattopadhyay BP, Gangopadhyay PK, Bandopadhyay TS Alam J. Comparison of pulmonary function test abnormalities between stone crushing dust exposed and non exposed agricultural workers. Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine 2006;11:191- 198.
17. Johncy S, Ajay KT, Dhanyakumar G, Raj PN, Samuel VT. Dust exposure and lung function impairment in construction workers. J Physiol Biomed Sci 2011;24(1):9-13.
18. Hertzberg VS, Rosenman KD, Reilly MJ, Rice CH. Effect of Occupational Silica Exposure on Pulmonary function. Chest 2002;122(2):721- 728.
19. Urom SE, Antai AB, Osim EE. Symptoms and lung function values in nigerian men and women exposed to dust generated from crushing of granite rocks in Calabar, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Physiological Sciences 2004;19(1-2):41-47.
20. Jayawardana P, Tennakoon S, V Bandara. Respiratory symptoms and ventilatory function among granite workers working in quarries installed with mechanical crushers in and around Kandy Muncipality limits. Journal of the college of community physician of Sri Lanka 2009;13(2):9-15.