IJCRR - Vol 05 Issue 04, February, 2013
A STUDY OF SERUM CA-125 AND SALIVARY AMYLASE IN OVARIAN NEOPLASM IN A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL OF KOLKATA
Author: Sukla Nath, Swati Bhattacharyya, Rituparna Maji, H.N. Das , Shikha Das , Ranadip Chowdhury
Introduction: Ovarian cancer is the fifth most lethal malignancy in women in the United States and second most common of all genital cancers in developing countries including India .Ovarian cancer is curable in early stages, and seldom curable in advanced stages.
Objective: Study was conducted to determine (1) whether pre operative serum level of CA-125 could differentiate between Benign and Malignant neoplasm (2) to evaluate the significance of serum salivary amylase in ovarian neoplasm.
Material and Methods: This was a cross sectional descriptive observational study conducted in a tertiary care hospital in north Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Detailed information regarding associated diseases and investigation reports were recorded in a case record form.
Results: Serum CA-125 was analysed with pre-operative serum sample in 112 cases of ovarian neoplasm (Benign ???? 73, Malignant ???? 39). Serum level of CA-125 was significantly (p=0.0001) raised in malignant cases compared to benign neoplasm. The sensitivity and specificity of serum CA-125 was 92.3% and 87.6% respectively. In our study 92.3% of malignant tumour cases had raised level of CA-125.Serum salivary amylase was significantly (p=0.0001) more among malignant tumours (refer table-5).
Conclusion: To conclude, in the present study there was significant increase of both serum CA-125 and salivary amylase level in malignant tumour cases than that of benign tumour cases.
Keywords: Ovarian neoplasm, serum CA-125, salivary amylase, histology grade
Sukla Nath, Swati Bhattacharyya, Rituparna Maji, H.N. Das , Shikha Das , Ranadip Chowdhury. A STUDY OF SERUM CA-125 AND SALIVARY AMYLASE IN OVARIAN NEOPLASM IN A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL OF KOLKATA International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 05 Issue 04, February, 114-120
1. Padubidri V G, Daftary SN. Disorders of ovary.In: Shaws Text book of Gynaecology. 13th edn.Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi: Elsevier; 2004, 354-372.
2. Padubidri VG, Daftary SN. Disorders of ovary.In: Shaws Text book of Gynaecology. 13th edn.Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi: Elsevier; 2004,397-400.
3. Joel Larma,Ginger J. Gardner, Ovarian Cancer.in Fortner, Kimberly B.; Szymanski, Linda M.; Fox, Harold E. et al. 3rd Edition .Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Baltimore, Maryland: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins,2007:510-525
4. Luca Frulloni, Franca Patrizi, Laura Bernardoni, Giorgio Cavallini. Pancreatic Hyperenzymemia: clinical significance and diagnostic Approach. JOP. J. Pancreas.2005;6(6):536-551.
5. Zakowski J J, Gregory M R and Bruns D E.Amylase from human serous ovarian tumors: purification and characterization. The American Association for Clinical Chemistry, 1984 ; 30: (1), 62-68
6. Hasholzner U,Steiber P, Baumgartner L ,et al.Clinical significance of tumour marker CA125 ? and CA-72-4 in Ovarian carcinoma,Int journal Cancer,1996;69:329-334
7. Sikorska H,Schuster J, Gold P.Clinical application of Cancer antigen 125,Camcer detection preview,1988;12:321-355
8. IFCC Methods for measurement of catalytic concentrations of enzymes,J.Clin.Chemistry.Acta.1999;281:5
9. David H.Hydrolysis by human alpha amylase of p-nitrophenyl oligosaccharides containing four to seven glucose unit.Clinical Chemistry.1982;28:1485-89
10. Silverberg S G. Histopathologic Grading of Ovarian Carcinoma:a review and proposal.International Journal of Gynaecol Pathology,2000;19:7-15.
11. Shimizu Y,Kamoi S,Amada S et al.Toward the development of a universal grading system for ovarian epithelial carcinoma-Testing of a proposed system in a series of 461 patient with uniform treatment and followup.Cancer,1998;82:893-901
12. Shimizu Y,Kamoi S,Amada S et al.Toward the development of a universal grading system for ovarian epithelial carcinoma.I.Prognostic Significance of histologic features-Problems involved in tha architectural grading system.Journal of Gynaecological Oncology.1998;70:2-12
13. Norris H J, Zirkin H J, Benson W L.Immature (Malignant) teratoma of the ovary.A clinical and Pathologic study of 58 cases.Cancer,1976,37:2359-2372
14. Bast RC, Jr, Klug TL, St John E, Jenison E, Niloff JM et al. A radioimmunoassay using a monoclonal antibody to monitor the course of epithelial ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med. 1983;309:883–887
15. Kenemans P, van Kamp GJ, Oehr P, Verstraeten RA. Heterologous doubledeterminant immunoradiometric assay CA 125 II: reliable second-generation immunoassay for determining CA 125 in serum. Clin Chem. 1993;39:2509–2513
16. Tanaka Y, Ueda G, Tanizawa O, Miyake H, Kohno M, Nishiyama S et al.A case of amylase-producing ovarian tumor. Gan No Rinsho. 1986 Jan;32(1):111
17. Kawamurra S, Hiura M, Kaneko H, Yokoyama T, Tanaka M, Chiba T.Amylaseproducing ovarian cancer treated with postoperative QF chemotherapy--a case report. Gan No Rinsho. 1988 Apr;34(4):497-504.