IJCRR - 5(4), February, 2013
SINONASAL TERATOCARCINOSARCOMA : A RARE NEOPLASM
Author: Nikunj V. Mehta, Sanjay V. Dhotre, R.N.Gonsai, Tarang B. Kadam, Kalpana K. Dave, Seema K. Modh
Background: Sino-nasal teratocarcinosarcoma (SNTCS) is rare and unfamiliar entity with grave prognosis. It was first described by Shanmugaratnam et al. in 1983 and was aptly termed as “Teratocarcinosarcoma” by Hefner and Hyams in 1984. As the name suggests, it is composed of benign and malignant epithelial components as well as mesenchymal and neural components Because of its rarity, these lesions are often misdiagnosed as immature teratoma or carcinosarcoma may lead to management difficulties. Objective: The objective is to make pathologists aware with this rare entity and always consider it as differential diagnosis of teratoma and carcinosarcoma which are more common lesions in this location / region. Research Methodology: We report a 30 years old female with SNTCS involving right nasal cavity extending into nasopharynx, maxillary, ethmoid, sphenoid and frontal sinuses. She presented with complains of the nasal blockage, difficulty in breathing and bleeding from right nose since 1 month. Excision biopsy was done. Result: Multiple sections have been taken and final diagnosis of Sino-nasal teratocarcinosarcoma was made.
Keywords: Sino-nasal teratocarcinosarcoma, Malignant.
Nikunj V. Mehta, Sanjay V. Dhotre, R.N.Gonsai, Tarang B. Kadam, Kalpana K. Dave, Seema K. Modh. SINONASAL TERATOCARCINOSARCOMA : A RARE NEOPLASM International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(4), February, 97-102
1. Chao KK, Eng TY, Barnes J, Dahlia R. Sino nasal teratocarcinosarcoma. Am J Oncol 2004;27:29-32.
2. Ogawa T, Ikeda K, Watanabe M, Satake M, Oshima T, Suzuki N, et al. A case report of sinonasal teratocarcinosarcoma. Tohoku J Exp Med 2000;190:51-9.
3. Shanmugaratnam K, Kunaratnam N, Chia KB, Chiang GS, Sinniah R. Teratoid carcinosarcoma of the paranasal sinuses . Pathology 1983;15:413-9.
4. Heffner DK, Hyams VJ. Teratocarcinosarcoma (malignant teratoma?) of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses. A clinicipathological study of 20 cases. Cancer 1984;53:2140-54.
5. Salem F, Rosenblum M K, Jhanwar S C, Kancherla P, Ghossein R A, Carlson D L. Teratocarcinosarcoma of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses: report of 3 cases with assessment for chromosome 12p status. Hum Pathol. 2008;39(4):605–609.
6. Wellman M, Kerr P D, Battistuzzi S, Cristante L. Paranasal sinus teratocarcinosarcoma with intradural extension. J Otolaryngol/ 2002, 31(3):173- 176.
7. Wei S, Carroll W, Lazenby A, Bell W, Lopez R, Said-Al-Naief N. Sinonasal teratocarcinosarcoma: report of a case with review of literature and treatment outcome. Ann Diagn Pathol.2008;12(6):415–425.
8. Carrizo F, Pineda-Daboin K, Neto A G, Luna M A. Pharyngeal teratocarcinosarcoma: review of the literature and report of two cases. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2006;10(6):339–342.
9. Patchefsky A, Sundmaker W, Marden PA. Malignant teratoma of the ethmoidal sinus. Cancer 1968;21:714-21.
10. Szudek J, Bullock M, Taylor S M. Sinonasal teratocarcinosarcoma involving the cavernous sinus. J Otolaryngol. 2005; 34(4):286–288.
11. Shindo ML, Stanley RB, Kiyabu MT. Carcinosarcoma of the nasal cavity andparanasal sinuses. Head Neck 1990; 12:516- 9.
12. Smith SL, Hessel AC, Luna MA, Malpica A, Rosenthal DI, El-Naggar AK.Sinonasal teratocarcinosarcoma of the head and neck: a report of 10 patients treated at a single institution and comparison with reported series. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2008; 134: 592-5.
13. Su YY, Friedman M, Huang CC, Wilson M, Lin HC. Sinonasal teratocarconosarcoma. Am J Otolaryngol 2010;31:300-3.
14. Thomas J, Adegboyega P, Iloabachie K, Mooring JW, Lian T. Sinonasal teratocarcinosarcoma with yolk sac elements: a neoplasm of somatic or germ cell origin? Ann Diagn Pathol 2011;15:135- 9
15. Shimazaki H, Aida S, Tamai S, Miyazawa T, Nakanobou M. Sinonasal teratocarcinosarcoma: ultrastructural and immunohistochemical evidence of neuroectodermal origin. Ultrastruct Pathol 2000;24:115-22.
16. Budrukkar A, Agarwal JP, Kane S, Siddha M, Laskar SG, Pai P, et al. Management and clinical outcome of sinonasal teratocarcinosarcoma: single institution experience. J Laryngol Otol 2010;124:739- 43.
17. Wang SY, Zhu L, Li SM, Lin L, Zheng SX, Wu YF, et al. Sinonasal teratocarcinosarcoma : a clinical, radiologic and pathologiac study of 5 cases. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi 2007;36:534-8.
Figure I :- CT Scan of paranasal sinus axial, coronal, bony window and sagittal views showing soft tissue density mass lesion involving right ethmoid sinus extending up to posterior part of nasal cavity and causes erosion of medial wall of right maxillary sinus.