IJCRR - 5(7), April, 2013
THE CARRYING ANGLE OF ELBOW- A CORRELATIVE AND COMPARATIVE STUDY
Author: Jyothinath Kothapalli, Pradeepkumar H. Murudkar, Lalitha Devi Seerla
Background and Objectives: The angle formed by the axes of the arm and the axes of forearm when the elbow is fully extended and forearm is supinated that obtuse angle is known as “carrying angle”. Carrying angle evaluation is important to identify deformities of elbow. The present study aimed Measure and correlation of carrying angle with various parameters in young males and females.
Materials and methods: The present study includes 220 (110 females and 110 males) healthy students of MBBS from KBNIMS, Gulbarga, belongs to Karnataka were selected and ages groups is 18 to 22 years. Goniometry is used for measurement of carrying angle. Height measured in normal anatomical standing posture and length of forearm measured with measuring tape. Measurements were documented and statistically analyzed. Spearman?s correlation use to get relationship between parameters.
Result: In females there was a significant positive correlation (p<0.05) of age with carrying angle of both sides, height was negatively correlated with carrying angle of both sides, no correlation between length of forearm with coring angle. In males Age and Height were not correlated with carrying angle but, the length of the forearm was significantly negatively correlated with carrying angle of both sides (p<0.05). Greater carrying angle was found in females.
Conclusion: Carrying angle increases with age and greater in females may be because Olecranon?coronoid angle exhibiting high sexual dimorphism may be one of the causes and it may also considered as secondary sexual characteristic. Carrying angle measurement helpful in reconstruction of elbow disorders observed after treatment of distal humerus fractures and evaluating praumatic elbow injuries.
Keywords: Carrying angle, Elbow joint. Sexual dimorphism, Trochlear angle
Jyothinath Kothapalli, Pradeepkumar H. Murudkar, Lalitha Devi Seerla. THE CARRYING ANGLE OF ELBOW- A CORRELATIVE AND COMPARATIVE STUDY International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(7), April, 72-77
1. Snell RS. Clinical Anatomy, 7th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2004:551.
2. Khare GN, Goel SC, Saraf SK, Singh G, Mohanty C. New observations on carrying angle. Indian J Med Sci. 1999; 53:61–67.
3. Williams A, Standring S, Ellis H, Haely J 2005 Gray?s Anatomy.
4. Last RJ 1978 Anatomy – regional and applied 6th edn London. Churchill Livingstone Longman.
5. Decker Gog 1986 Lee Mce Gregor?s synopsis of Surgical Anatomy 12th Edn. Bristol : John Wright and Sons Ltd.
6. Purkait R, Chandra H, An anthropometric investigation into the probable cause of formation of carrying angle: a sex indicator, Journal of Indian Academy of Forensic Medicine, 2004, 26(1):19–23.
7. Balasubramanian P, Madhuri V, Muliyil J. Carrying angle in children: a normative study. J PediatrOrthop B. 2006;15:37- 40.Punia Rs, Sharma R, Usmani Ja, The carrying angle in an Indian population, J Anat Soc India, 1994, 43(2):107–110.
8. Cain EL Jr, Dugas JR, Wolf RS, Andrews JR. Elbow injuries in throwing athletes: a current concepts review. Am J Sports Med.2003;31:621–635.
9. Hutchinson MR, Wynn S. Biomechanics and development of the elbow in the young throwing athlete. Clin Sports Med. 2004; 23:531–544.
10. Van Roy P, Baeyens JP, Fauvart D, Lanssiers R, Clarijs JP. Arthro-kinematics of the elbow: study of the carrying angle. Ergonomics. 2005; 48:1645–1656.
11. ?wirko-Godycki M, Sexing skeletal remains. In: Krogman Wm (Ed), The human skeleton in forensic medicine, 3rd edition, Charles C Thomas, Illinois, 1978, 112–152.
12. Khare Gn, Goel Sc, Saraf Sk, Singh G, Mohanty C, New observations on carrying angle, Indian J Med Sci, 1999, 53(2):61–67.
13. Fick R (1911) Handbuch der Anatomie und Mechanik der Gelenke. Fischer, Jena 14. Hubscher C (1899) Der Ellbogenwinkel. Dtsch Z Chir 53:445
15. Aebi H (1947) Der Ellbogenwinkel, seine Beziehungen zu Geschlecht, Korperbau und Huftbreite. Thesis, University of Basle
16. Paraskevas G, Papadopoulos A, Papaziogas B, Spanidou S, Argiriadou H, Gigis J, Study of the carrying angle of the human elbow joint in full extension: a morphometric analysis, Surg Radiol Anat, 2004, 26(1):19– 23.
17. M.j. Emami, f. Abdinejad, s. Khodabkhshi, m. Amini, Andb. Naseri the normal carrying angle of the elbow. In shiraz mjiri, 1998, 12 (1):37-39.
18. Mehmet Tukenmez, Huseyin Demirel, Sitki Percin, Gunduz Tezeren. Measurement of the carrying angle of the elbow in 2,000 children at ages six and fourteen years. Acta orthop Traumatol Turc 2004, 38 (4): 274-276.
19. Beals RK. The normal carrying angle of the elbow. A radiographic study of 422 patients. Clin Orthop 1976; (119):194-6.
20. Dai L. Radiographic evaluation of Baumann angle in Chinese children and its clinical relevance. J Pediatr Orthop B 1999; 8:197-9.
21. Srushti Ruparelia, Shailesh Patel, Ankur Zalawadia, Shaival Shah, S. V. Patel. Study Of Carrying Angle And Its Correlation With Various Parameters. NJIRM 2010; 1(3):28- 32.
22. Hui JH, Torode IP, Chatterjee A. Medial approach for corrective osteotomy of cubitus varus: a cosmetic incision. J Pediatr Orthop. 2004; 24:477–481.
23. Punia Rs, Sharma R, Usmani Ja, The carrying angle in an Indian population, J Anat Soc India, 1994, 43(2):107–110.