IJCRR - Vol 05 Issue 08, April, 2013
IMPORTANCE OF COMPLIANCE IN CONTACT LENS WEAR -A STUDY TO ASSESS THE KNOWLEDGE AND PRACTICES AMONG CONTACT LENS USERS FOR A HEALTHY VISION
Author: Ch. Vijay Kumar, Yousef D.
Purpose: To assess the knowledge related to contact lens wear and their care among the female students. Methods: A structured questionnaire covering aspects on wearers' attitude, knowledge related to lens care, hygiene of hands and lens cases was introduced in which about 50 female contact lens wearers participated in this study. By doing multi-variate testing, the factors like demography, hygiene, behaviors and attitude to aftercare visits were analyzed among lens wearers and significant findings are reported.
Conclusion: Poor hand hygiene, inadequate lens care and not remembering when to come back for aftercare visits are the common non-compliant behaviors in lens wearers where proper health education plays a major role in improving compliance.
Keywords: Contact lens wear, Compliance, knowledge, demographics, health education
Ch. Vijay Kumar, Yousef D.. IMPORTANCE OF COMPLIANCE IN CONTACT LENS WEAR -A STUDY TO ASSESS THE KNOWLEDGE AND PRACTICES AMONG CONTACT LENS USERS FOR A HEALTHY VISION International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 05 Issue 08, April, 104-109
1. Stein H A, Freeman M I, Stein R M, Maund L D. Contact Lenses Fundamentals and Clinical Use. Slack Incorporated 1997. 59- 74.
2. Mannis M J, Zadnik C, Coral- Ghanem C, Kara-Jose N. Contact Lenses in Ophthalmic Practice. Springer-Verlag New York, Inc 2004. 7-14.
3. Bowden T, Harknett A. What the patients wore and why…Contact Lensand Anterior Eye 2006; 29:5-15.
4. Claydon BE, Efron N, Non-complicance in contact lens wear. Ophthal Physiol Optics Dec 2007; 14: (4): 356-364.
5. Mah-Sadorra J H, Yavuz S G A, Najjar D, Laibson P R, Rapuano C J, Cohen E J. Trends in contact lens related corneal ulcers. Cornea. 2005; 24: 51-58.
6. Dart J K, Radford C F, Minassian D, Verma S, Stapleton F. Risk factors for microbial keratitis with contemporary contact lenses: a case- control study. Ophthalmology 2008; 115: 1647- 54, 54 e 1-3.
7. Stapleton F, Keay L, Edwards K, Naduvilath T, Dart J K, Brian G et al. The incidence of contact lens-related microbial keratitis in Australia. Ophthalmology 2008; 115: 1655- 62.
8. Fogel J, Zidile C. Contact lenses purchased over the internet place individuals potentially at risk for harmful eye care practices. Optometry 2008; 79:23-35.
9. De Oliveira PR, Temporini- Nastari ER, Alves MR, Kara-Jose N. Self evaluation of contact lens wearing and care by college students and health care workers. Eye and Contact Lens 2003; 29: 164-67.
10. Lee YC, Lim CW, Saw SM. The prevalence and pattern of contact lens use in a Singapore community. CLAO J. 2000; 26: 21-25.
11. I Tajunisah, S C Reddy. Knowledge and Practice of contact lens wear and care among medical students of University of Malaya. Med J Malaysia Vol 63 No 3 Aug 2008.
12. Vidotti VG, Kamegasawa A. Profile of medical students from the Universidada Estadual Paulista- UNESP-Botucatu, who wear contact lenses, Arq Bras Oftalmol 2006;69: 197-201 (article in Portuguese).
13. MJ Collins and LG Carney, Compliance with care and maintenance procedures amongst contact lens wearers, Department of Optometry, Queensland Institute of Technology and University of Melbourne, Australia 1986;174-75
14. Claydon, Bridget E., Efron, Nathan, and Woods, Craig (1996) A prospective study of non-compliance in contact lens wear. Journal of the British Contact Lens Association, 19(4), pp. 133-140.
15. Hickson-Curran SB, Chalmers RL, Sencer S. "Making the case for daily disposable contact lenses: patient non-compliance with storage case hygiene and replacement." Johnson and Johnson Vision Care, Contact Lens Care and Compliance, Dec 2010.
16. Mayers M, Callan BS, Borazjani R et al. Compliance and contamination in contact lens wear. Alcon, Contact Lens Care and Compliance, Dec 2010
17. Claydon, Bridget E., Efron, Nathan, and Woods, Craig (1997) Non-compliance in contact lens wear. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, 17(2), p. 172.