IJCRR - Vol 05 Issue 08, April, 2013
IN VITRO EVALUATION OF AFLATOXIN M1 CONTROL POTENTIAL OF SIX ESSENTIAL OILS IN BENIN
Author: Philippe Sessou, Fidele Tchobo, Pascal Agbangnan, Elvis Adjalian, Paulin Azokpota, Issaka Youssao, Souaibou Farougou
Category: General Sciences
Aflatoxin M1 (AFM1) is hepatocarcinogen frequently found in cheese. Its presence in this foodstuff constitutes a serious threat for consumers. The present study had evaluated aflatoxin M1 control potential of six essential oils against synthetic aflatoxin M1. It had consisted to blend Aflatoxin M1 diluted in acetonitrile (1μg/mL) with essential oil to achieve final concentrations of 2%, 4%, 6%, 8% and 10% of oil and to follow the disintegration of this AFM1 in the meantime of 30 minutes, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 24 hours on silica gel with or without thin layer chromatography assay (TLC). The results obtained revealed that at the concentrations tested, no fluorescence was observed for the mixtures of Aflatoxin M1 with C. zeylanicum, P. racemosa and Syzygium aromaticum essential oils on silica gel without chromatography assay contrary to results obtained for the same mixtures after chromatography assay. The mixture of Cymbopogon citratus showed fluorescence with or without TLC assay. Pure extracts of Ocimum gratissimum and Zingiber officinale showed a green fluorescence. In sum, all the essential oils tested didn’t possess capacity to destroy AFM1 at concentrations investigated. Although, these extracts cannot be used for controlling aflatoxin M1, their potentiality for inhibiting mycotoxins production by moulds can be considered.
Keywords: Aflatoxin M1, antiaflatoxin assay, essential oils, TLC assay
Philippe Sessou, Fidele Tchobo, Pascal Agbangnan, Elvis Adjalian, Paulin Azokpota, Issaka Youssao, Souaibou Farougou. IN VITRO EVALUATION OF AFLATOXIN M1 CONTROL POTENTIAL OF SIX ESSENTIAL OILS IN BENIN International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 05 Issue 08, April, 11-19
1. Adjou ES, Dahouenon - Ahoussi E, Degnon RG, Soumanou MM, Sohounhloue DCK, 2012a. Bioefficacy of essential oil of Lantana Camara from Benin against the growth of fungi and aflatoxin production. Journal of Resent Advances in Agriculture 1(4): 112 - 121.
2. Adjou ES, Kouton S, Dahouenon - Ahoussi E, Degnon GR, Soumanou MM, Sohounhloue DCK, 2012b. Investigations on bioactivity of essential oil of Ageratum conyzoides L., from benin against the growth of fungi and aflatoxin production. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research, 13(1): 143 - 148.
3. Adjou ES, Kouton S, Dahouenon - Ahoussi E, Sohounhloue DCK, Soumanou MM, 2012c. Antifungal activity of Ocimum canum Essential oil against Toxinogenic Fungi isolated from Peanut Seeds in post-harvest in Benin. International Research Journal of Biological Science, 1(7): 20 - 26
4. Adjou ES, Kouton S, Dahouenon - Ahoussi E, Soumanou MM, Sohounhloue DCK, 2013. Effect of essential oil from fresh leaves of Ocimum gratissimum L. on mycoflora during storage of peanuts in Benin. Mycotoxin Research, 29(1):29 - 38.
5. Atanda OO, Ogunrinu MC, Olorunfemi FM, 2011. A neutral red desiccated coconut agar for rapid detection of aflatoxigenic fungi and visual determination of aflatoxins. World Mycotoxin. Journal, 4(2), 147 - 155
6. Dossou J, Hounzangbe Adote S, Soule H, 2006. Production et transformation du lait frais en fromage peulh au Bénin; Guides de bonnes pratiques, version validée lors de l’atelier national du 14 juillet 2006. [En ligne], consulte le 29 octobre 2009. http://www.repol.info/IMG/pdf/Fiche_wagas hi_VF.pdf.
7. FAO, 2010b. Evolution de la Production Nationale de Lait. Consulté le 4 juin 2010 à l’adresse suivante : http://www.countrystat.org/ben/cont/pxwebq uery/ma/053cpd060/fr/vType/quick
8. IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer), 2012. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, vol. 100F. IARC.
9. Kèké M, Yéhouénou B, Dahouénon E, Dossou J, Sohounhloué DCK, 2008. Contribution à l'amélioration de la technologie de fabrication et de conservation du fromage peulh waragashi par injection de Lactobacillus plantarum. Ann. Sci. Agron. Benin, 10: 73 - 86
10. N’guyen MT, 2012. Identification des espèces de moisissures potentiellement productrices de mycotoxines dans le riz commercialisé dans cinq provinces de la région centrale du Vietman: Etude des conditions pouvant induire la production de mycotoxines. Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse (INPT). Thèse de doctorat, p. 147.
11. Okeke KS, Abdullahi IO, Makun HA, Mailafiya SC, 2012. Preliminary survey of aflatoxin M1 in dairy cattle products in Bida, Niger State, Nigeria. African Journal of Food Science and Technology, 3(10): 273- 276
12. Prakash B, Singh P, Kedia A, Dubey NK, 2012. Assessment of some essential oils as food preservatives based on antifungal, antiaflatoxin, antioxidant activities and in vivo efficacy in food system. Food Research International 49: 201–208
13. Prakash B, Singh P, Kedia A., Dwivedy KA, Singh A., Dubey N.K. Mycoflora and aflatoxin analysis of arachis hypogaea l. and assessment of anethum graveolens l. seed and leaf essential oils against isolated fungi, aflatoxin production and their antioxidant activity. Journal of Food Safety 32 (2012) 481 - 491
14. Prakash B, Singh P, Mishra KP, Dubey NK, 2012. Safety assessment of Zanthoxylum alatum Roxb. essential oil, its antifungal, antiaflatoxin, antioxidant activity and efficacy as antimicrobial in preservation of Piper nigrum L. fruits. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 153:183 - 191
15. Sessou P, Farougou S, Alitonou G, Djenontin TS, Yèhouénou B, Azokpota P, Youssao I, Sohounhloue D, 2012a. Chemical Composition and Antifungal activity of Essential oil of Fresh leaves of Ocimum gratissimum from Benin against six Mycotoxigenic Fungi isolated from traditional cheese wagashi. International Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 1(4): 22 - 27
16. Sessou P, Farougou S, Azokpota P, Youssao I, Fanou B, Kaneho S, Agniwo B., Yèhouenou B, Ahounou GS, Chabi-Egba M, Sohounhloue D, 2012b. In vitro antifungal activity of essential oil of Pimenta racemosa against fungal isolates from wagashi, a traditional cheese produced in Benin. International Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences, 8 (1): 25-34.
17. Sessou P, Farougou S, Noudogbessi J - P, Fanou B, Azokpota P, Youssao I. Sohounhloué D, 2012d. Chemical composition and in vitro antifungal activity of Zingiber officinale essential oil against foodborne pathogens isolated from a traditional cheese wagashi produced in Benin. International Journal of Biosciences, 2 (9): 20 - 28.
18. Sessou P, Farougou S, Kaneho S, Djenontin S, Alitonou GA, Azokpota P, Youssao I, Sohounhloué D, 2012e. Bioefficacy of Cymbopogon citratus essential oil against foodborne pathogens in culture medium and in traditional cheese wagashi produced in Benin. International Research Journal of Microbiology, 3(12): 406 - 415.
19. Sessou P, Farougou S, Kaneho S., Djenontin S., Alitonou G. A., Azokpota P., Youssao I., Sohounhloué D, 2012f. Bioefficacy of Cymbopogon citratus essential oil against foodborne pathogens in culture medium and in traditional cheese wagashi produced in Benin. Int. Res. J. Microbiol., 3(12): 406 0 - 415.
20. Sessou P, Farougou S, Yehouénou B, Agniwo B, Alitonou GA, Azokpota P, Youssao I, Sohounhloué D, 2013g. Biological control of spoilage and pathogens moulds in culture medium and Beninese traditional cheese wagashi by Syzygium aromaticum essential oil. African Journal of Microbiology Research (in press).
21. Shukla R, Singh P, Prakash B, Dubey NK, 2012. Antifungal, aflatoxin inhibition and antioxidant activity of Callistemon lanceolatus (Sm.) Sweet essential oil and its major component 1,8 - cineole against fungal isolates from chickpea seeds. Food Control, 25: 27 - 33
22. Siddappa V, Nanjegowda DK, Viswanath P, 2012. Occurrence of aflatoxin M1 in some samples of UHT, raw and pasteurized milk from Indian states of Karnataka and Tamilnadu. Food and Chemical Toxicology 50: 4158 - 4162
23. Singh P, Shukla R, Prakash B, Kumar A, Singh S, Mishra PK, Dubey NK, 2010. Chemical profile, antifungal, antiaflatoxigenic and antioxidant activity of Citrus maxima Burm. and Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck essential oils and their cyclic monoterpene, dl-limonene. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 48: 1734 - 1740.
24. Tekins KK, Eken HS, 2008. Aflatoxin M1 levels in UHT milk and kashar cheese consumed in Turkey Food and Chemical Toxicology, 46: 3287 - 3289