IJCRR - 5(3), February, 2013
RELATIONSHIP OF ULTRASONOGRAPHIC ENDOMETRIAL THICKNESS AND MORPHOLOGY TO BODY MASS INDEX IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMEN
Author: Shalaan R.M., Deghidi A.N., Hegazy A.I.
Background: Menopause is that point in time where permanent cessation of menstruation occurs following the loss of ovarian activities. Ultrasonography is simple, non-invasive technique, highly acceptable to the patient. It offered detailed delineations of the uterus and its myometrium, endometrium and vessels. So, several uterine disorders can be evaluated by ultrasound.. BMI is an inexpensive and simple method of classifynging for weight categories that may lead to heath troubles
Objective: To investigate the relationship between ultrasonographic endometrial thickness and morphology to body mass index in postmenopausal women. Materials and Methods: Three hundred postmenopausal women (mean age, 59.95+3.73 years; range 55-65) were studied. Age, years since menopause and BMI characteristics were recorded. The relationship between ultrasonographic endometrial thickness and and morphology to baseline characteristics was evaluated in each woman. Results: BMI was positively correlated with endometrial thickness (r= 0.841), but age and years since menopause were negatively correlated (r= -0.224) (r= -2.84). Conclusion: There is positive relationship between BMI and endometrial thickness in asymptomatic postmenopausal females.
Keywords: Body mass index; endometrial thickness; transvaginal ultrasonographic.
Shalaan R.M., Deghidi A.N., Hegazy A.I.. RELATIONSHIP OF ULTRASONOGRAPHIC ENDOMETRIAL THICKNESS AND MORPHOLOGY TO BODY MASS INDEX IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMEN International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(3), February, 29-36
1. Freeman EW.; Sammel MD. ; Lin. Symptoms associated with menopausal transition and reproductive hormones in midlife. Am .J. Obstet. Gynecol .2007 ; pp.30 – 40
2. Timmermans A.;Opmeer BC. ; Ersema, SV. And et al. Patient`s references in the evaluation of postmenopausal bleeding. An. Intern. J.Obestet. Gynecol .2007; 114 (9):1146 – 1149.
3. Warming l. ; Ravn,P.;Skouby,S. and et al. Measument precision and normal range of endometrial thickness in a postmenopausal by transvaginal ultrasound .Ultrasound in Obestet. Gynecol .2002 ;20(5): 492 –49
4. Neele,SJM. ; Marchien Van baal,W.; Van Der Mooren, P. and et al. Ultrasound assessment of endometrium in healthy , asymptomatic early postmenopausal women . Ultrasound in obestet. Gynecol.2002;16 (3) :254- 259 .
5. Gallagher, D. How useful is body mass index for comparison of body fatness across age , sex and ethnic groups . Am. J. Epidemiology 1996; 143 – 239.
6. Mei Z.; Grummer-Strwan,lM. ; Pietrobelli A. and et al. Validity of body mass index compression screening indices for assessment of body fatness . Am . J . Clin . Nutr.2002; 7 : 597 -985.
7. Andolf E. ; Dahlander ,K. and Aspenberg, P.Ultrasonic thickness of the endometrium correlated to body weight in asymptomatic postmenopausal women.Obstet. Gynecol.1993; 82(6):936-40.
8. Douchi, T.;Yoshinaga M. ; Katanozka,M. and et al. Relationship between body mass index and transvaginal ultrasonographic endometrial thickness in postmenopausal women . Acta obstet. Gynecol. Scand.1998 ; 77 :905-908 .
9. Katanozaka M, Yoshinaga M, Douchi T, Nagata Y.Ultrasonographic endometrial thickness for detecting endometrial cancer in postmenopausal women. Med J Kagoshima Univ 1988;50:29–33.
10. Karlsson B, Granberg S, Wikland M, et al. Transvaginal ultrasonography of the endometrium in women with postmenopausal bleeding—A Nordic multicenter study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1995;172:1488–94.
11. Granberg S, Wikland M, Karlsson B, Norström A, Fridberg LG. Endometrial thickness as measured by endovaginal ultrasonography for identifying endometrial abnormalities.Am J Obstet Gynecol 1991;164:47–52.
12. Tsuda H. ;Kawabata,M. ;Kawabata,K. and et al. Improvement of diagnostic accuracy of transvaginal ultrasound for identification of endometrial malignancies by using cut off level of endometrial thickness based on length of time since menopause. Gynecol. Oncol. 1997;64(1):35-7.
13. Van den Bosch T. ;Vandendael,A. ;Van Schoubroeck,D. and et al. Age, weight, body mass index and endometrial thickness in postmenopausal women. Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand.1996; 75(2):181-2
14. Longcope C.; Hunter,R. and Franz C. Steroid secretion by the postmenopausal ovary. Am. J.Obstet. Gynecol. 1998; 138(5):564-8.
15. Dandolu V.; Singh, R.; Lidicker,J. and et al. BMI and uterine size: is there any relationship ? Int. J. Gynecol. Pathol., 2010; 27(6): 568-71.
16. Berker B.; Erkmen, M. and Sevim,D. Relationship between body mass index and endometrial thickness in postmenopausal women. Clin. Obstet. Gynecol2005.;11 (3): 34-44.
17. Parazzini F.; La Vecchia,C. ;Bocciolone,L. and et al.The epidemiology of endometrial cancer. Gynecol. Oncol1992. ;41(1):1-16