IJCRR - Vol 05 Issue 12, June, 2013
ESTIMATION OF NOISE FIGURE USING GFF WITH HYBRID QUAD PUMPING
Author: V.R. Prakash, Himanshu Shekhar, Kumara Guru Diderot P.
This Paper describes the models and simulation of EDFA(Erbium Doped Fiber Amplifier) with optimized Gain and that has been flattened using GFF(Gain flattening Filter) with reduced noise figure using Hybrid Quad Pumping with the wavelengths 980nm and 1480nm oppositely cascaded (Co directional pumping and counter directional pumping) architectures a nd compares the results with EDFA with dual pumping techniques. In DWDM networks EDFA’S are an imperative element and are regarded as a cost effective replacement of classical optoelectronic regenerative repeaters EDFA plays an important role in improvement of performance of optical fiber transmission systems. The proposed model consists of Input source, pumping sources with the wavelengths 980nm, 1480nm connected cascade in opposite sides and Isolator. The Erbium doped fibre amplifier’s gain which appears in the signal to noise ratio expression is computed from the simulation. The resulting models accurately represent EDFA flattened gain dynamics and reduced noise figure. Simulation results EDFA with Hybrid quad pumping model1 with first stage of the wavelengths 980nm twice times and in the second stage 1480nm twice a times show a flattened maximum gain of 5.4DB and noise figure of 7.6 db and EDFA with Hybrid quad pumping model2 with first stage of the wavelengths 980nm and 1480nm and in the second stage 1480nm and 980nm show a flattened maximum gain of 5.3 DB and noise figure of 8.4db. This is applicable in Network reconfiguration and Multi -vendor networks and also addition new services and wavelengths.
Keywords: EDFA, Quad Pumping, Isolator, WDM, Gain, Optical communications and Optical fiber Amplifiers, Gain flattening filter
V.R. Prakash, Himanshu Shekhar, Kumara Guru Diderot P.. ESTIMATION OF NOISE FIGURE USING GFF WITH HYBRID QUAD PUMPING International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 05 Issue 12, June, 146-153
1. N. Zervas, R.L. Laming and David N. Payne," Efficient EDFA incorporating an optical isolator”, In IEEE journal of quantum electrinics, March 1995, vol 31, no.3 UK .
2. Aditya Goel and Ravi Shankar Mishra, “Design of broadband EDFA for next generation optical network”, International journal of Neural networks and applications, jan-june 2010, pp.9-13.
3. J.H. Jang, J.H. Jung, K.K.Lee, “Implementation of Automatic gain controlled bidirectional EDFA in WDM Networks” , IEEE CLEO/Pacific Rain 1999.
4. Masaharu horiguchi, IEEE Journal of Lightwave technology, Vol 12, no.5, May 1994.
5. Temmer, H. Ould Saadi and A. Boutaleb, “Simulation based analysis of EDFA, Journal of Applied science, Asian network for scientific information,page no. 789- 794, 2006.
6. M.Karasek, “Gain enhancement in gain shifted EDFA for WDM applications”, IEEE photonics technology letters vol 11 no. 9, September 1999.
7. S.W. Harun, N.N. Samsuri, H.Ahmad, “Partial gain clamping in two stage double pass L band EDFA using a ring resonator”, IEEE 2004.