IJCRR - 5(12), June, 2013
EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION OF PERFORMANCE AND EMISSION CHARACTERISTICS OF DIESEL ENGINE FUELED WITH LINSEED BIO DIESEL
Author: B. Madhava Varma, N. Ravi Kumar, G. Prasanthi
Industrialization, globalization & green revolution in agriculture have increased the demand for the petroleum products. Petroleum fuels release more emissions like CO, NOX, CH4 & CFC which are responsible for global warming & ozone layer depletion. Biodiesel is a less pollutant, biodegradable and renewable alternative fuel that can be used with little modifications. The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of the biodiesel produced from linseed oil on single cylinder diesel engine. Both performance and emission characteristics were studied in the range of one fourth load to full load at fixed compression ratio 16 . In the current research work biodiesel is prepared from linseed oil. The Experimentation was conducted on four stroke single cylinder diesel engine using linseed biodiesel and their performance and emission characteristics were studied. Results of performance & emission using linseed biodiesel were compared with that of diesel fuel.
Keywords: bio fuels, bsfc, emissions, global warming & linseed methyl esters
B. Madhava Varma, N. Ravi Kumar, G. Prasanthi. EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION OF PERFORMANCE AND EMISSION CHARACTERISTICS OF DIESEL ENGINE FUELED WITH LINSEED BIO DIESEL International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(12), June, 125-133
1. Jagannath Balasaheb Hirkude, Atul S. Padalkar “Performa ce and emission analysis of a compression ignition, P.G. Tewari, R.S. Hosmath “Performance and emission engine operated on waste fried oil methyl esters” Applied Energy Journal 90 (2012) 68–72.
2. N.R. Bannapurmath characteristics of a DI compression ignition engine operated on Honge, Jatropha and sesame oil methyl esters”, Renewable Energy 33 (2008) 1982– 1988.
3. Mallikappa D.N.a, Rana Pratap Reddy, Ch.S.N. Murthy “Performance and emission characteristics of double cylinder CI engine operated with cardanol bio fuel blends” Journal Renewable Energy 38 (2012) 150.
4. Ashish Jawalkar, Kalyan Mahantesh, M Jagadish, Madhusudhan Merawade, M C Navindgi “Performance and Emission Characteristics of Mahua and Linseed Biodiesel Operated at Varying Injection Pressures on CI Engine
5. A.S. Ramadhas”, International Journal of Modern Engineering Research (IJMER) Vol.2, Issue.3, May-June 2012., C. Muraleedharan, S. Jayaraj “Performance and emission evaluation of a diesel engine fueled with methyl esters of rubber seed oil” Renewable Energy 30 (2005) 1789–1800.
6. V.Dhana raju and P.Ravindra kumar “Experimental investigation of linseed and neem methyl esters as biodiesel on CI engine” International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology.
7. D.Lingaraju, S.Chiranjeeva Rao, V.Joshua Jaya Prasad, A.V.Sita Rama Raju.“Fuelling diesel engine with diesel, linseed derived biodiesel and its blends at different injection pressures: performance studies” IJMIE Volume 2, Issue 7
8. K.Purushothamana, G. Nagarajan “Performance, emission and combustion characteristics of a compression ignition engine operating on neat orange oil” Renewable Energy 34 (2009) 242–245.
9. N.L. Panwar, Hemant Y. Shrirame, N.S. Rathore, Sudhakar Jindal, A.K. Kurchania “Performance evaluation of a diesel engine fuelled with methyl ester of castor seed oil” Applied Thermal Engineering 30 (2010) 245–249.
10. K. Sureshkumar, R. Velraj, R. Ganesan “Performance and exhaust emission characteristics of a CI engine fuelled with Pongamia pinnata methyl ester (PPME) and its blends with diesel” enewable Energy 33 (2008) 2294–2302
11. Wagner LE, Clark SJ, Scrock MD. Effects of soybean oil esters on the performance, lubricating oil and wear of diesel engines. Paper No. 841385, SAE; 1984.