IJCRR - Vol 09 Issue 12, June, 2017
Growth and Characterization of NaCl doped Organometallic L-Asparagine Cadmium Chloride Monohydrate (LACCM) Crystals
Author: S. Mugunda Kumari, N. Thangaraj, R. Rakhesh, N. Joseph John
Category: General Sciences
Single crystals of sodium chloride (NaCl) doped organometallic nonlinear optical material L-asparagine cadmium chloride monohydrate (LACCM) were successfully grown by slow evaporation method at room temperature. Grown crystals were characterized by single crystal and powder X-ray diffraction analysis, scanning electron microscopy, energy-dispersive analysis by X-ray and thermal studies. The second harmonic generation was confirmed by the Kurtz and Perry powder technique. The presence of various functional groups was identified from FTIR spectral analysis. The mechanical strength of the grown crystal has been determined with the aid of Vickers hardness test. The second harmonic efficiency and dielectric constant increases significantly due to the introduction of sodium ions into the lattice of l-aspargine cadmium chloride crystal, so that this crystal is a potential material for nonlinear frequency conversion.
Keywords: Nonlinear optic material, Crystal growth, XRD, FTIR, Thermal studies
S. Mugunda Kumari, N. Thangaraj, R. Rakhesh, N. Joseph John. Growth and Characterization of NaCl doped Organometallic L-Asparagine Cadmium Chloride Monohydrate (LACCM) Crystals International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 09 Issue 12, June, 11-15
1. Xu, D.; Yuan, D.R.; Zhang, N.; Hou, W.B.; Liu, M.G.; Sun, S.Y.; Jiang, M.H. Study of properties and structural features of some new organic and organometallic nonlinear optical crystals. J. Phys. 1993, D26, B230–B235.
2. Long, W.J. Organometallic compounds for nonlinear optics. The search for enlightenment. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 1995, 34, 21–38.
3. Jiang, M.H.; Fang, Q. Organic and semiorganic nonlinear optical materials. Adv. Mater. 1999, 11, 1147–1151.
4.N. Joseph John , Benita Jeba Silviya , P. Selvarajan, C. K. Mahadevan, Growth and characterization of Disodium hydrogen orthophosphate (DAHP) single crystals, Materials and Manufacturing Processes , 22, 379, (2007)
5. N. Joseph John, P. Selvarajan, C. K. Mahadevan, Studies on NaCl doped DSHP crystals, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 23, 809, (2008)
6. S.D. Bella, Second-order nonlinear optical properties of transition metal complexes chem. Soc.Rev30,355, .(2001)
7. M.Jiang , Q.fang, Organic and semiorganic nonlinear optical materials, Adv. Mater11,1147, .(1999).
8. Martin Britto Dhas, S.A., Bhagavannarayana, G. Natarajan, S., Growth, HRXRD, Microhardness and Dielectric Studies on the NLO Material L-Alaninium Maleate, The open crystallography Journal, 1. (2008)
9.U. Karunanithi, , S. Arulmozhi, , J. Madhavan, Synthesis and Characterization of Pure and Doped L-Arginine Maleate Single Crystals , Journal of Appied Physics, 1, (2012).
10. R. Mohan Kumara., D. Rajan Babu, D.Jayaraman, R. Jayavel, K. Kitamura., Journal of Crystal Growth, 3, 275. (2005)
11. K. J. Arun, S. Jayalekshmi, Growth and Characterisation of Nonlinear Optical Single Crystals of L-Alaninium Oxalate, Journal of Mineral Materials Characterisation & Engineering, 8,8 , (2009).
12. P.Praveen Kumar, V.Manivannan, P.Sagayaraj, J. Madhavan, Growth and characterization of pure and doped NLO L-arginine acetate single crystals, Bulletin of Material Science, Vol. 32.,1857 (2009),
13. M Vimalan, TR Kumar, S Tamilselvan, P Sagayaraj, CK Mahadevan, Growth and properties of novel organic nonlinear optical crystal: l-alaninium tartrate (LAT), Physica B: Condensed Matter 405 (18), 3907-3913, (2008)
14. S. Masilamania,, P. Ilayabarathi, P. Maadeswaran, J. Chandrasekaran, K. Tamilarasan, Synthesis, growth and characterization of a novel semiorganic nonlinear optical single crystal: l-Asparagine cadmium chloride monohydrate, Optik, 123, 1304, (2012) 10.1016/j.ijleo.2011.07.063
15. Bikshandarkoil R. Srinivasan, On the existence of ‘L-asparagine cadmium chloride monohydrate’ crystal, Optik, 10.1016/j.ijleo.2013.12.082
16. N. Joseph John, P. Selvarajan , C. K. Mahadevan, Growth, Structural, Optical, Mechanical and Dielectric Characterization of Diammonium Hydrogen Phosphate (DAHP) single Crystals, Journal of Minerals and Material characterization and Engineering, 10, 15, 1379 (2011).
17. A.J. Jayaprakash Manoharan, N. Joseph John , P. Andavan, Effect of amino acid doping on the dielectric properties of triglycine sulphate (TGS) single crystals , Ind. J. of Sci. and Tech., 4,6, 688, (2011).
18. A. J. Jayaprakash Manoharan, N. Joseph John, P.Andavan, Journal of Experimental Sciences, 2(2) (2011), 33.
19. P. Sivaka, N. Joseph John, S. Perumal, Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, 4, 7 (2014), 145.
20. P. Sivaka, N. Joseph John, S. Perumal, Int. res. J. Eng. And Tech., 3, 2 (2016), 1273.
21. N. Joseph John, Int. J. Current Sci. 8,11 (2016), 41068.
22. N. Joseph John, Int. J. Innov. Sci. and Res. 5,11(2016), 890.
23.R.M. Silverstein, G.C. Bassler, T.C. Morrill, Spectrometric Identification of Organic Compounds, fifth ed., Wiley, New York, 1991.
24. Kurtz S.K. and Perry T.T., A Powder Technique for the Evaluation of Nonlinear Optical Materials J. Appl. Phys, 39, 3798, (1968).
25.C. Razzetti, M. Ardonio, L. Zanotti, M. Zha, C. Paorici, Solution growth and characterisation of L-alanine single crystals, Cryst. Res. Technol. 37 (2002) 456