IJCRR - 5(14), July, 2013
EFFECTS OF NEUROMOTOR FACILITATORY TRAINING ON DYNAMIC BALANCE ABILITY IN YOUNG COLLEGIATE MEN
Author: Samuel S.E., Helina G., Krishna A.P.
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to estimate the effects of neuromotorfacilitatory training on dynamic balance ability in young collegiate men. Methodology: Collegiate men 18 to 25 years of age were randomly allocated into intervention and placebo training groups with 30 subjects in each group. Neuromotorfacilitatory training intervention consisted of equillibrium control exercises, closed kinematic chain exercises, PNF patterns and rhythmic stabilization exercise for 8 weeks. Dynamic balance ability was determined by the Eyes closed dynamic (ECD) standing balance test. Pre and post intervention data were analysed to estimate differences with Student?s unpaired „t?test. Results: 60 young adults (mean age 21.62±1.12 yrs.) completed the study. ECD balance (in secs.)showed statistically significant improvement from mean5.23±1.68to mean 8.22±2.62 (p? 0.01) for non- dominant leg and from mean 5.28±1.54 to 8.01±2.28 (p? 0.01)for dominant leg in the intervention group.In placebo training group, ECD balance (in secs.) showed no significant changes from5.23±1.57to 4.88±1.14(p>0.05) for non- dominant leg and from 5.11±1.08 to 5.26±0.90(p>0.05)for dominant leg. Conclusion: Neuromotorfacilitatory training improved dynamic balance ability in young adults.
Keywords: Neuromotorfacilitatory training, athletic performance, dynamic balance, Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation
Samuel S.E., Helina G., Krishna A.P.. EFFECTS OF NEUROMOTOR FACILITATORY TRAINING ON DYNAMIC BALANCE ABILITY IN YOUNG COLLEGIATE MEN International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(14), July, 96-102
1. Bahr R, Lian O. A two-fold reduction in the incidence of acute ankle sprains in volleyball. Scand J Med Sci Sports 1997;7: 172-7.
2. Caraffa A, Cerulli G, Projetti M, Aisa G, Rizzo A. Prevention of anterior cruciate ligament injuries in soccer. A prospective controlled study of proprioceptive training. Knee Surg Sports TraumatolArthrosc 1996;4:19-21.
3. Hewett TE, Lindenfeld TN, Riccobene JV, Noyes FR. The effect of neuromuscular training on the incidence of knee injury in female athletes. Am J Sports Med 1999;27:699-705.
4. Holme E, Magnusson SP, Becher K, Bieler T, Aagaard P, Kjaer M. The effect of supervised rehabilitation on strength, postural sway, position sense and re-injury risk after acute ankle ligament sprain.Scand J Med Sci Sports 1999;9:104-9.
5. Myklebust G, Engebretsen L, Braekken IH, et al. Prevention of ACL injuries in female handball players: a prospective intervention study over 3 seasons. Clin J Sports Med 2003;13:71-8.
6. Tropp H, Askling C, Gillquist J. Prevention of ankle sprains. Am J Sports Med 1985;13:259-62.
7. Wedderkopp M, Kaltoft M, Lundgaard B, Rosendahl M, Froberg K. Prevention of injuries in young female players in European team handball. A prospective intervention study.Scand J Med Sci Sports 1999;9:41-7.
8. Wester JU, Jespersen SM, Nielsen KD, Neumann L. Wobble board training after partial sprains of the lateral ligaments of the ankle: A prospective randomized study. J Orthop Sport PhysTher 1996;23:332-6.
9. Grace TG,Muscle imbalance and extremity injury: A perplexing relationship, Sports Med. 1985; 2:77-82
10. Leanderson J, Eriksson E, Nilsson C, Wykman A, Proprioception in classical ballet dancers: a prospective study of the influence of an ankle sprain on proprioception in the ankle joint. Am J Sports Med. 1996;24:370-374.
11. Besier TF, Lloyd DG, Cochrane JL, Ackland TR. External loading of the knee joint during running and cutting maneuvers. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001;33:1168-1175.
12. Cerulli G, Benoit DB, Caraffa A, Ponteggia F. Proprioceptive training and prevention of anterior cruciate ligament injuries in soccer. J Orthop Sports PhysTher. 2001;31:655-660.
13. Ghez C. The control of movement. In: Kandel E, Schwartz J, Jessell T, eds. Principles of Neural Science. New York, NY: Elsevier Science; 1991:533-547.
14. Lephart SM, Riemann BL, Fu FH. Introduction to the sensorimotor system. In: Lephart SM, Fu FH, eds. Proprioception and Neuromuscular Control in Joint Stability. Champaign, Ill: Human Kinetics; 2000:xviixxiv.
15. Tropp H, Askling C, Gillquist J. Prevention of ankle sprains. Am J Sports Med 1985;13:259-62.
16. Gauffin H, Tropp H, Odenrick P. Effect of ankle disk training on postural control in patients with functional instability of the ankle joint. Int J Sports Med 1988;9:141-4.
17. Hoffman M, Payne VG. The effects of proprioceptive ankle disk training on healthy subjects. J Orthop Sports PhysTher 1995;21:90-4.
18. Rozzi S, Lephart SM, Sterner R, Kuligowski L. Balance training for persons with functionally unstable ankles. J Orthop and Sport PhysTher 1999;29: 478-86.
19. Anderson K. Behm DG, The inpact of instability resistance training on balance and stability, Sports Med. 2005;35(1): 45-53
20. Gillespie LD, Robertson MC, Gillespie WJ, et al. Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;(2):CD007146
21. Emery CA, Cassidy JD, Klassen TP, RosychukRJ,Rowe BH. Effectiveness of a home-based balance-training program in reducing sports-related injuries among healthy adolescents: a cluster randomized controlled trial CMAJ 2005; 172: 749–54.
22. Bird M, Hill KD, Ball M, Hetherington S, Williams AD, The long-term benefits of a multi-component exercise intervention to balance and mobility in healthy older adults. Arch GerontolGeriatr.2011;52(2):211-6
23. Vuillerme N, Teasdale N, Nougier V, The effect of expertise in gymnastics on proprioceptive sensory integration in human subjects. NeurosciLett. 2001;28;311(2):73- 6.
24. Garn SN, Newton RA, Kinesthetic awareness in subjects with multiple ankle sprains. PhysTher. 1988;68(11):1667-71
25. Paterno MV, Myer GD, Ford KR, Hewett TE, Neuromuscular training improves single-limb stability in young female athletes. J Orthop Sports PhysTher.2004;34(6):305-16.
26. Romero-Franco N, Martínez-López E, Lomas-Vega R, Hita-Contreras F, MartínezAmat A, Effects of proprioceptive training program on core stability and center of gravity control in sprinters. J Strength Cond Res. 2012;26(8):2071-7.