IJCRR - Vol 05 Issue 14, July, 2013
A COMPARATIVE STUDY ON METHODS FOR DIAGNOSIS OF ENTERIC FEVER
Author: Renu Mathew, Jobin.S.R.
Introduction: Enteric fever continues to be a global health problem and isolation of organism from blood is the gold standard for the diagnosis. Objectives: Aim of this study was to find out the usefulness of three different methods such as blood culture, clot culture and Widal test for diagnosis of enteric fever. Materials and Methods: Total number of blood samples collected was 290 from patients with pyrexia for blood culture, clot culture and Widal test. Results: Among the 290 cases studied, 117 patients were positive for enteric fever with either positive Widal test and or with culture positivity. Culture was positive in 40 patients (34%). Out of 117 positive cases of enteric fever, 89 (76%) had typhoid fever and 28 (24%) patients had paratyphoid fever. This was on the basis of significant Widal titers and isolation of Salmonella from blood or clot. Significant Widal titers were seen in 96 patients. Discussion: The sensitivity and specificity of clot culture were 95% and 100% respectively and both blood culture and clot culture had shown the same rate of isolation. Advantage of clot culture is that it can be done with the sample taken for Widal test. The sensitivity and specificity of the Widal test were 47.5% and 69.2% respectively and Widal test done on convalescent-phase serum gave more reliable results. Conclusion: Blood culture and clot culture had more importance when compared to Widal test for the diagnosis of enteric fever.
Keywords: Blood culture, Clot culture, Enteric fever, Salmonella typhi, Widal test
Renu Mathew, Jobin.S.R.. A COMPARATIVE STUDY ON METHODS FOR DIAGNOSIS OF ENTERIC FEVER International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 05 Issue 14, July, 88-95
1. Eric Mintz. Enteric fever – Epidemiology and Reports from the Field: Global situation and WHO recommendations. In Proceedings of the 8th International Conference Asia-Pacific symposium on typhoid fever and other Salmonellosis. Dhaka, Bangladesh 1-2 March 2013.
2. Mandell, Douglas and Bennett’s (2000), Principles and practice of infectious diseases, 6th edition, chapter 220, Salmonella species, including Salmonella typhi, page no – 2636 -2650.
3. Koneman’s (2006), Colour Atlas and Textbook of Diagnostic Microbiology, Sixth edition, page no 251-257.
4. Olopoenia LA, King AL. Widal agglutination test - 100 years later: still plagued by controversy. Postgrad Med J 2000; 76(892): 80-4.
5. Paniker CK. Enterobacteriaceae-III Salmonella. In: Ananthanarayan R, Paniker CK, editors. Textbook of Microbiology. 8th ed. Chennai, India: Orient Longman Private limited; 2010. p. 289-290.
6. Chakraborty P (2007), A text book of Microbiology, chapter 77, Pyrexia of unknown origin, page no: 676-677.
7. Escamilla J, Ugrate HF, Kilpatrick ME. Evaluation of blood clot cultures for isolation of S. typhi, S. paratyphi A and Brucella melitensis. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1986; 24(3):388-90.
8. Old DC. Salmonella. In: Collee JG, Fraser AG, Marmion BP, Simmons A, editors. Mackie And McCartney Practical Medical Microbiology. 14th ed. London: Churchill Livingstone; 1996. p. 385-404.
9. Karkey A, Arjyal A, Anders KL, Boni MF, Dongol S, Koirala S, My PV, Nga TV,Clements AC, Holt KE, Duy PT, Day JN, Campbell JI, Dougan G, Dolecek C, Farrar J, Basnyat B, Baker S. The burden and characteristics of enteric fever at a healthcare facility in a densely populated area of Kathmandu. PLoS One. 2010 Nov 15; 5(11):e13988.
10. Simanjuntak CH, Hoffman SL, Darmowigoto R, Lesmana M, Soeprawoto, Edman DC, Streptokinase clot culture compared with whole blood culture for isolation of Salmonella typhi and S. paratyphi A from patients with enteric fever. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1988; 82(2):340-1.
11. Mantur BG, Bidari LH, Akki AS, Mulimani MS, Tikare NV, Diagnostic yield of blood clot culture in the accurate diagnosis of enteric fever and human brucellosis. Clin Lab. 2007;53(1-2):57-61.
12. Krishnan P, Stalin M, Balasubramanian S. Changing trends in antimicrobial resistance of Salmonella enterica serovar typhi and salmonella enterica serovar paratyphi A in Chennai. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2009 Oct-Dec; 52(4):505-8.
13. Taiwo SS, Fadiora SO, Oparinde DP, Olowe OA, Widal agglutination titers in the diagnosis of typhoid fever .West Afr J Med. 2007 Apr-June; 26(2):97-101.