IJCRR - 5(14), July, 2013
A STUDY OF CRANIAL, ORBITAL AND AURICULO VERTICAL INDEX OF ADULT HUMAN SKULLS OF NORTH COSTAL ANDHRA POPULATION OF SOUTH INDIA
Author: P. Sri Devi, Raju Sugavasi, B. Indira Devi, K. Vijaya Lakshmi
Introduction: Craniometry is the technique of measuring the various dimensions of bones of the skull. Craniometry has been widely practiced in anthropology to attempt scientifically justify the segregation of society based on race. Cranial index and cranial indices are helpful in differentiation of racial and gender difference. Meterials and Methods: In the present study 40 available human adult skulls have been taken up from MIMS, Nellimarla, vijayanagaram, belongs to costal region of Andhra Pradesh. This study conducted to investigate the cranial index, orbital index and auriculo vertical index of the UN known sex of dried adult human skulls. Results: In the present study concluded that, the Mean cephalic index is 71.6 mms and most of the skulls are Dolico cranial type, Mean orbital index is 72.1mms and the Orbits belongs to skulls were Hypsi cranial type and Mean auricular height is 66.52mms, the skulls are Hysi cephalic type. The good knowledge of the cephalic dimensions of the skull can guide the surgical management related to the orbital and auricular pathologies.
Keywords: Craniometry, skull, orbital index, Cranial index
P. Sri Devi, Raju Sugavasi, B. Indira Devi, K. Vijaya Lakshmi. A STUDY OF CRANIAL, ORBITAL AND AURICULO VERTICAL INDEX OF ADULT HUMAN SKULLS OF NORTH COSTAL ANDHRA POPULATION OF SOUTH INDIA International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(14), July, 83-87
1. Adejuwan SA, Salawau OT, Eke CC, Akinlosotu WF and Odaibo AB. A craniometric study of Adult human skulls from south western Nigeria: Asian journal of Medical Sciences, 2011; 3(1): 23-25.
2. Bharati S, Som S, Bharati P and Vasulu T. S. Climate and head form in India: Am. J. Hum. Biol, 2001; (13): 626–34.
3. Chaturvedi RP and Harneja NK. A cephalo metric study of human skulls: Journal of Anatomical Society of India, 1963; (12):93- 96.
4. Chaturvedi RP and Harneja NK. A cephalo metric study of human skulls: Journal of Anatomical Society of India, 1963; (12):93- 96.
5. Dhall U, Gopinath K. Sutural bones in North Indian population: J. Anat Soc India, 1998; 47(2): 25-26.
6. El-Feghi I, MA. Sid-Ahmad and M. Ahmadi, 2004. Automatic localization of craniofacial landmarks for assisted cephalometry: Pattern Recognition, 37: 609- 621.
7. Ezeuko CV, Aligwekwe AU, Udemezue OO, Ejimofor OC. Orbit Dimensions and Bony Inter orbital Distance in Southeast Nigerians: A Radiologic Study: J Expt and Clin Ana, 2007; 6(2).
8. Fawehinmi HB, Ligha AE, Chikwu P Orbital Dimensions of Nigerian Adults: Jobiomed Afr, 2008; (6):1-2.
9. Jaysingh P, Arora A K, Gupta C D, Dua S, Pandey D.N. Craniometric study of skulls of Uttar Pradesh: J. Anat. Soc. India, 1979; 28(3):127-131.
10. Kasai KLC, T Richard and T Brown. Comparative study of craniofacial morphology in Japanese and Australian aboriginal population: Hum. Biol, 1993; (65): 821-832.
11. Patnaik VVG, Bala Sanju, Singla Rajan K. Anatomy of the bony orbits- Some applied aspects: Journal of the Anatomical Society of India, 2001; 50(1):59-67.
12. Seema, Mahajan A and Gandhi D. cephalometric study of adult human skulls of north indian origin: International Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Science, 2011; (1): 81-83.
13. Shah GV, Jadhav HR. The Study of Cephalic index in Students of Gujarat: J. Anat. Soc. India, 2004; 53 (1): 25-26.
14. Soames RW. Skeletal systems. Williams P.L Bannister LH , Berry MM Collins P, Dyson Mary, Dussek J, Ferguson MW, ed.Grays. Anatomy the anatomical basis of medicine and surgery; churchill livingstone. 38th ed. 1999: pp 555.
15. Ukoha U , Egwu OA , Okafor IJ , Ogugua PC , Onwudinjo O ,Udemezue O. O: Int J Biol Med Res, 2011; 2(3): 688-690.
16. Vishal Manoharrao Salve, Pradeep Sundar Londhe. A Craniometric Study of Adult Human Skulls from Andhra Pradesh: NJIRM, 2012; 3(1): 63-66.
17. William PL, Bannester LH, Berry MM, Collins P, Dyson M, Dussek JE and Ferguson MWJ: Gray’s Anatomy. Soames R.W: Churchill Livingstone; London: 38th Edn : 1995; pp 612.