IJCRR - 9(11), June, 2017
Magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) Forced Convective Flow and Heat Transfer Over a Porous Plate in a Darcy-Forchheimer Porous Medium in Presence of Radiation
Author: A. K. Jhankal, R. N. Jat, Deepak Kumar
Category: General Sciences
Aim and Objective: An analysis is made to study the problem of boundary layer forced convective flow and heat transfer of an incompressible fluid past a plate embedded in a Darcy-Forchheimer porous medium in presence of transverse magnetic field. Thermal radiation term is considered in the energy equation.
Methodology: The governing partial differential equations are transformed into self-similar ordinary differential equations using similarity transformations, which are then solved using Runge-Kutta fourth order method along with shooting technique.
Results: The numerical results are plotted in some figures and the variations in physical characteristics of the flow dynamics and heat transfer for several parameters involved in the equations are discussed. It is found that these parameters have significantly effects on the flow and heat transfer.
Conclusion: It is found that the influence of the physical parameters viz. Porous medium parameter, the Inertial parameter, the Magnetic parameter, the Prandtl number, and the Radiation parameter have significantly effects on the flow and heat transfer
Keywords: MHD, Forced convective flow, Darcy-Forchheimer porous medium, Thermal radiation
A. K. Jhankal, R. N. Jat, Deepak Kumar. Magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) Forced Convective Flow and Heat Transfer Over a Porous Plate in a Darcy-Forchheimer Porous Medium in Presence of Radiation International Journal of Current Research and Review. 9(11), June, 16-23
1. Pal D, Shivakumara IS. Mixed Convection heat transfer from a vertical heated plate embedded in a sparsely packed porous medium. Int J Appl Mech Eng 2006; 11(4): 929 - 939.
2. Hossain MA, Takhar HS. Radiation effects on mixed convection along a vertical plate with uniform surface temperature. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 1996; 31 243 - 248.
3. Hossain MA, Alim MA, Rees D. The effect of radiation on free convection from a porous vertical plate. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 1999; 42: 181 - 191.
4. Hossain MA, Khanafer K, Vafai K. The effect of radiation on free convection flow of fluid with variable viscosity from a porous vertical plate. Int. J. Therm. Sci. 2001; 40: 115 – 124.
5. Cheng P, Minkowycz WJ. Free convection about a vertical flat plate embedded in a porous medium with application to heat transfer from a disk. J Geophys Res 1977; 82: 2040 - 2044
6. Cheng P. The influence of lateral mass flux on a free convection boundary layers in saturated porous medium. Int J Heat Mass Transfer 1977; 20: 201 - 206.
7. Wilks G. Combined forced and free convection flow on vertical surfaces. Int J Heat Mass Transfer 1973; 16: 1958 - 1964.
8. Lai FC, Kulacki FA. Non - Darcy mixed convection along a vertical wall in a saturated porous medium. Int J Heat Mass Transfer 1991; 113: 252 - 255.
9. Hsu CT, Cheng P. The Brinkman model for natural convection about a semi - infinite vertical plate in a porous medium. Int J Heat Mass Transfer 1985; 28: 683 - 697.
10. Vafai K, Tien CL. Boundary and inertia effects on flow and heat transfer in porous media. Int J Heat Mass Transfer 1981; 24: 195 - 203.
11. Soundalgekar VM, Takhar HS, Vighnesam NV, The combined free and forced convection flow past a semiinfinite plate with variable surface temperature. Nucl Eng Des 1988: 110: 95 - 98.
12. Rami YJ, Fawzi A, Abu – Al - Rub F. Int.J.Numer. Methods Heat Fluid Flow 2001: Vol. 11: 600 - 618.
13. Goren SL. Thermophoresis of aerosol particles in gas flowing over cold surfaces. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 1977: 61: 77 - 85.
14. Gebhart B. Effect of Viscous Dissipation in Natural Convection. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 1962; 14: 225 - 235.
15. Hong JT, Yamada Y, Tien, CL. Effect of non - Darcian and nonuniform porosity on vertical plate natural convection in porous media. Int J Heat Mass Transfer 1987; 109: 356 - 382.
16. Kaviany M. Boundary - layer treatment of forced convection heat transfer from a semi - infinite flat plate embedded in porous media. ASME J Heat Transfer 1987; 109: 345 - 349.
17. Chen KS, Ho JR. Effects of flow inertia on vertical natural convection in saturated porous media. Int J Heat Mass Transfer 1988; 29: 753 - 759.
18. Kumari M, Pop I, Nath G. Non - Darcian effects on forced convection heat transfer over a flat plate in a highly porous medium. Acta Mech. 1990; 84: 201 - 207.
19. Anghel M, Takhar HS, Pop I. Dufour and Soret effects on free convection boundary layer over a vertical surface embedded in a porous medium. Stud Univ Babes-Bolyai Math 2000; 45: 11 - 21.
20. Damesh RA, Duwairi HM, Al - Odat M. Similarity analysis of magnetic field and radiation effects on forced convection flow. Turk J Eng Environ Sci.; 30: 83 - 89.
21. Samad MA, Rahman MM. Thermal radiation interaction with unsteady MHD flow past a vertical porous plate immersed in a porous medium. J. Naval Architecture and Marine Eng 2006; 3: 7 - 14.
22. Postelnicu A. Influence of a magnetic field on heat and mass transfer by natural convection from vertical surfaces in porous media considering Soret and Dufour effects. Int J Heat Mass Transfer 2004; 47: 1467 - 1472
23. Srinivasacharya D, Upendar P. Free convection in MHD micropolar fluid with Soret and Dufour effects. Int J Appl Math Mech 2013; 9(5): 92 - 112.
24. Duwairi HM, Damseh RA. Thermophoresis particle depositionthermal radiation interaction on mixed convection from vertical surfaces embedded in porous medium. Can J Phys 2009; 87: 161.
25. Mukhopadhyay S, Layek GC. Radiation effect on forced convective flow and heat transfer over a porous plate in a porous medium. Meccanica 2009; 44: 587 - 597.
26. Ishak A, Nazar R, Pop I. Steady and unsteady boundary layers due to a stretching vertical sheet in a porous medium using Darcy - Brinkman equation model. Int J Appl Mech Eng 2006; 11(3): 623 - 637.
27. Brinkman HC. A calculation of the viscous force exerted by a flowing fluid on a dense swarm of particles. Appl Sci Res 1947; 1: 27 - 34.
28. Chen CK, Chen CH, Minkowycz WJ, Gill US. Non - Darcian effects on mixed convection about a vertical cylinder embedded in a saturated porous medium. Int J Heat Mass Transfer 1992; 35: 3041 - 3046
29. Mishra SR and Jena S. Numerical Solution of Boundary Layer MHD Flow with Viscous Dissipation. The Scientific World Journal 2014; Article ID 756498, 5 pages. http://dx.doi. Org/10.1155/2014/756498
30. Vidyasagar G, Sugunamma V and Ramana B. Heat and Mass Transfer Effects on MHD Boundary Layer Flow over a Moving Vertical Porous Plate. International Journal of Engineering 2013; XI Fascicule 3: 181- 186
31. Mukhopadhyay S, De PR, Bhattacharyya K and Layek GC. Forced convective flow and heat transfer over a porous plate in a Darcy - Forchheimer porous medium in presence of radiation. Meccanica 2012; 47(1): 153 - 161
32. Kankanala S and Bandari S. MHD Mixed Convection Flow of a Casson Fluid over an Exponentially Stretching Surface with the Effects of Soret, Dufour, Thermal Radiation and Chemical Reaction. World Journal of Mechanics. DOI:10.4236 / wjm.2015.59017: 165 - 177.
33. Jena S. Numerical Solution of Boundary Layer MHD Flow With Viscous Dissipation. International Journal of Science and Technology 2014; 18(2): 1235 - 1244
34. Venkateswarlu M, Reddy RGV and Lakshmi DV. Effects of Chemical reaction and Heat Generation on MHD Boundary Layer Flow of a Moving Vertical Plate with Suction and Dissipation. Engineering International 2013; 1(1): 27 - 38.
35. Pai SI. Viscous Flow Theory I: Laminar Flow, D. Van Nostrand Co,New York; 1956.
36. Schlichting H. Boundary Layer Theory, McGraw - Hill Book Co, New York; 1968.
37. Bansal JL. Viscous Fluid Dynamics. Oxford and I BH Pub. Co., New Delhi, India; 1977.
38. Jeffery A. Magnetohydrodynamics. Oliver and Boyed, New York, USA; 1966.
39. Bansal JL. Magnetofluid dynamics of Viscous Fluids. Jaipur Pub. House, Jaipur, India; 1994.