IJCRR - 5(15), August, 2013
EFFECT OF RICE HUSK FILLER ON MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF POLYETHYLENE MATRIX COMPOSITE
Author: Atuanya C.U. , Olaitan S.A. , Azeez, T.O. , Akagu C.C. , Onukwuli O.D., Menkiti M. C.
In the present work, the effect of rice husk filler loading (10%, 20%, 25%, 30%, and 35%) on the mechanical properties of recycled low density polyethylene (RPE) and mixed with 20 percent weight fraction of virgin polyethylene (MPE) composites was aimed to be investigated. The waste polyethylene was blended with virgin polyethylene and the composites of RPE and MPE were moulded with the addition of rice husk filler using injection moulding machine at a pressure 150MPa and temperature 160oC. The composites were cut into specified dimensions and mechanical properties were conducted on them. Tensile strength increased up to 10 percent weight fraction of rice husk filler in the composites and later decreased above 10 percent filler loading. Tensile modulus, flexural strength and modulus, and Brinell hardness increases with increased filler loading, but impact strength decreases with increased in filler loading. The rice husk filler loading had significant effect (p < 0.05) on the mechanical properties of MPE composite compared with RPE composite which indicated that rice husk filler may be used for reinforcement of Polyethylene.
Keywords: Rise husk filler, Polyethylene, Mechanical properties
Atuanya C.U. , Olaitan S.A. , Azeez, T.O. , Akagu C.C. , Onukwuli O.D., Menkiti M. C.. EFFECT OF RICE HUSK FILLER ON MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF POLYETHYLENE MATRIX COMPOSITE International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(15), August, 111-118
1. Sui, G, Zhong, WH, Yang, XP, Yu, YH, Zhao, SH. Preparation and Properties of Natural Rubber Composites Reinforced with Pretreated Carbon Nanotubes. Polymers for Advanced Technologies (Pat) 2008, 1-7.
2. Hardinnawirda, K, Sitirabiatull, IA. Effect of Rice Husks as Filler in Polymer Matrix Composites. Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Sciences (JMES) 2012, 2: 181-6.
3. Behzad K. Investigation of Reinforcing Filler Loading on the Mechanical Properties of Wood Plastic Composites. World Applied Sciences Journal 2011, 13 (1): 171-4.
4. Raju, GU, Kumarappa, S, Gaitonde, VN. Mechanical and Physical Characterization of Agricultural Waste Reinforced Polymer Composites. J. Mater. Environ. Sci. 2012, 3 (5): 907-16.
5. Raju, G, Ratnam, CT, Ibrahim, NA, Rahman, MZ and Wan – Yunus, WMZ. Enhancement of PVC/ENR Blend Properties by Poly (Methyl Acrylate) Grafted Oil Palm Empty Fruit Bunch Fiber. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 2008, 110 (1): 368-75.
6. Kim, H-S, Yang, H-S, Kim, H-J, Park, H-J. Thermogravimetric Analysis of Rice Husk Flour Filled Thermoplastic Polymer Composites. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 2004, 76: 395–404.
7. Yang, H-S, Wolcott, MP, Kim, H-S, Kim, HJ. Thermal Properties of Lignocellulosic Filler-Thermoplastic Polymer Bio-Composites. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 2005, 82: 157–60.
8. Yang, H-S, Kim, H-J, Son, J, Park, H-J, Lee, B-J, Hwang, T-S. Rice-husk flour filled polypropylene composites; mechanical and morphological study. Composite Structures 2004, 63: 305–12.
9. Hassan, SA, Ani, FN, Abubakar, A. Oil-palm fiber as natural reinforcement for polymer composites. Society of plastics engineers plastics research online 2009, 1-3.
10. Gacitua, WE, Ballerini, A, Zhang, J. Polymer Nanocomposites: Synthetic and Natural Fillers A Review. Maderas. Ciencia Y Tecnología 2005, 7(3): 159-78.
11. Ratnam, CT, Fazlina, RS, Shamsuddin, V. Mechanical Properties of Rubber-Wood Fiber Filled PVC/ENR Blend. Malaysian Polymer Journal 2010, 5 (1): 17-25.
12. Luyt, AS. Editorial corner – a personal view Natural fibre reinforced polymer composites – are short natural fibres really reinforcements or just fillers? eXPRESS Polymer Letters 2009, 3 (6): 332.
13. Imoisili, PE, Ukoba, KO, Ibegbulam, CM, Adgidzi, D, Olusunle, SOO. Effect of Filler Volume Fraction on the Tensile Properties of Cocoa-Pod Epoxy Resin Composite. International Journal of Science and Technology 2012, 2 (7): 432-4.
14. Deepa, B, Pothan, LA, Mavelil-Sam, R, Thomas, S. Structure, properties and recyclability of natural fibre reinforced polymer composites. Recent Developments in Polymer Recycling 2011: 101-20.
15. Imoisili, PE, Olunlade, BA, and Tomori, WB. Effect of Silane Coupling Agent on the Tensile Properties of Rice Husk Flour (RHF) Polyester Composite. The Pacific Journal of Science and Technology 2012, 13 (1): 457 - 62.
16. Yao, F, Wu, Q, Lei, Y, Xu, Y. Rice straw fiber-reinforced high-density polyethylene composite: effect of fiber type and loading. Industrial Crops and Products 2008, 28(1): 63–72.
17. Zaini, MJ, Fuad, MYA., Ismail, Z, Mansor, MS, Mustafah, J. The Effect of Filler Content and Size on the Mechanical Properties of Polypropylene/Oil Palm Wood Flour Composites. Polymer International 1996, 40: 51-5.
18. Kim, HS, Yang, HS, Kim, HJ, Park, HJ. Thermogravimetric analysis of rice husk flour filled thermoplastic polymer composites, J. Therm. Anal. Calorim. 2004, 76: 395-404.
19. Panthapulakkal, S, Sain, M, Law, S. Effect of coupling agents on rice husk filled HDPE extruded profiles, Polym. Int. 2005, 54: 137- 42.