IJCRR - Vol 05 Issue 15 , August, 2013
THERMOSOLUTAL INSTABILITY OF AN INCOMPRESSIBLE, VISCOUS FLUID CONFINED IN A POROUS MEDIUM IN THE PRESENCE OF MAGNETIC FIELD
Author: Arti Bansal
The paper critically examines, within the framework of linear analysis, thermosolutal instability of an incompressible, viscous fluid confined in a porous medium in the presence of magnetic field, analytically and numerically both. The analytical discussion provides the sufficient conditions of stability and instability and the characterization of modes. By actually calculating the root of eigenvalue equation (of degree 4) neutral stability curves are drawn. The numerical results show the effect of various physical parameters on the critical wave number ac. It is concluded that RD-1 , S and R4 have stabilizing character and Richardson number J has destabilizing character. The non-dimensional parameter R2 shows a dual character, which depends upon thermal diffusivity ?
Keywords: Thermosolutal instability, porous medium, magnetic field
Arti Bansal. THERMOSOLUTAL INSTABILITY OF AN INCOMPRESSIBLE, VISCOUS FLUID CONFINED IN A POROUS MEDIUM IN THE PRESENCE OF MAGNETIC FIELD International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 05 Issue 15 , August, 102-110
1. Chandrasekhar S., Hydrodynamic and Hydromagnetic Stability. – Oxford, UK: Clarendon Press, 1961.
2. Scheidegger A. E. Growth of instabilities on displacement fronts in porous media. Phys Fluids 1960; 3 94.
3. Yih C. S. Flow of a non-homogeneous fluid in a porous medium. J. Fluid Mech. 1961; 10 133.
4. H. Darcy Les fontaines publiques de la ville de Dijon Paris : Victor Dalmont (1856).
5. Beavers G.S., Sparrow E.M. and Magnuson R.A. , Experiments on coupled parallel flows in a channels and a bounding porous medium. – J. Basic Engng. Trans. 1970, ASME, vol.D92, pp.843-845.
6. Joseph D.D. and Tao L.N., The effect of permeability on the slow motion of a porous sphere in a viscous liquid, 1964.
7. Brinkman H. C. A calculation of the viscous force exerted by a flowing fluid on a dense swarm of particles 1947; Appl. Sci. Res., A1 27.
8. Nield D. A. and Bejan A. Convection in porous medium 1992; Springer.
9. Goel A. K., Agrawal S. C. and Jaimala shear flow instability of an incompressible viscoelastic second order fluid in a porous medium. Indian J. pure appl. Math. 1997 28(4) 563.
10. Bansal N. and Agrawal S. C. thermal instability of a compressible shear flow in the presence of a weak applied magnetic field. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. India 1999 ;69(A) III .
11. Bansal A., Bansal N. and Agrawal S. C. Thermal instability of compressible shear layer in a porous medium in the presence of a weak applied magnetic field. Ganita 2004; vol.55, no.2,187-197.
12. Goel A. K., Agrawal S. C. and Agarawal G.S. Hydromagnetic stability of an unbounded couple stress binary fluid mixture having vertical temperature and concentration gradients with rotation.Indian J. pure appl. Math. 1997; 30(10) 991.