IJCRR - 5(15), August, 2013
COMPARATIVE EVALUATION OF RADIOGRAPHIC FEATURES OF JAWS AND TEETH ON OPG (ORTHOPENTAMOGRAM) IN THALASSEMIA MAJOR PATIENTS AND NORMAL INDIVIDUALS
Author: Avinash L. Kashid, S.P. Kumbhare, R.S.Sathawane, R.N. Mody
Introduction: The purpose of the present study is to make aware of serious disease, its radiographic features and its implications on dental care, especially for general dental practioners working in different communities. Material and Methods: For the present study, 50 Thalassemia major patients of the age of 6 years and above as group I and 50 Age and Sex matched control subjects were selected as Group II. Panoramic radiographs were taken using standard radiographic procedure on Orthopantomograph “PLANMECA PM 2002 EC Proline” Panoramic X-ray unit. Exposed Panoramic radiographs were processed manually. The processed radiographs were examined in subdued ambient light using transmitted light from a standard X-ray viewing box for radiographic features: spiky and short roots, enlargement of bone marrow spaces, thin lamina dura, identification of inferior alveolar canal, size of maxillary sinuses, taurodontism, and thickness of inferior mandibular cortex. Crown and root lengths were determined on panoramic radiographs by using Seow and Lai method. Results and Conclusions: Thus, it can be concluded from the present study that the results of this study suggest that following radiographic signs are evidence of thalassemia major: small / absent maxillary sinuses, spiky and short roots, taurodontism, enlargement of bone marrow spaces, identification of inferior alveolar canal, thin lamina dura, inferior mandibular cortex. Radiographic findings described above on orthopantamogram are not pathognomonic in itself but may be used in the field of dentistry as a diagnostic aid for thalassemia major.
Keywords: thalassaemia, panoramic radiography, jaw, teeth.
Avinash L. Kashid, S.P. Kumbhare, R.S.Sathawane, R.N. Mody. COMPARATIVE EVALUATION OF RADIOGRAPHIC FEATURES OF JAWS AND TEETH ON OPG (ORTHOPENTAMOGRAM) IN THALASSEMIA MAJOR PATIENTS AND NORMAL INDIVIDUALS International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(15), August, 12-22
- Manzon VS. Β-thalassemia: the anemia coming from the sea. Intensive course in biological anthropology 1st summer school of the European Anthropological association. 2007; June: 16-30; Prague, Czech Republic.
- Hazza’a AM, Al-Jamal G. Radiographic features of jaws and teeth in thalassemia major. DMFR 2006; 35: p.283-288.
- Lauren P. Hematologic diseases. In: Greenberg MS, Glick M, Ship JA, editors, Burkits Oral Medicine. 11th ed., Ontario: BC Decker Inc. 2008; p.385-411.
- John PG, John F, George MR, Frixos P, Bertil G, Daniel A et al. The thalassemia and related disorders-Quantitative disorders of hemoglobin synthesis. In Wintrobes Clinical Hematology. 8th ed. Philadelphia (USA) 1981; Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. p.869-903.
- Ghai OP, Gupta P and Paul VK. Hematological disorders. Ghai essential pediatrics Ed. 6th CBS publishers and distributers, New Delhi.
- Olivieri NF, Gary MB. Iron-chelating therapy and the treatment of thalassemia. Blood. 1997 February; 89: p.739-761.
- De Mattia D, Pettini PL, Sabato V, Rubini G, Laforgia A. Oromaxillofacial changes in thalassemia major. Minerva Pediatr. 1996 Jan-Feb; 48(1-2): p.11-20.
- Hattab FH, Alhaija-Abu, Yassin OM. Tooth crown size of permanent dentition in subjects with thalassemia major. Dental anthropology 2000; 14, No.3.
- Poyton HG, Davey KW. Thalassaemia changes visible in radiographs used in dentistry. OS OM and OP 1968; 25(4): p.564-576.
- Worth HM. Jaw changes due to abnormal condition of the blood. Principles and practice of oral radiologic interpretation. Chicago Year Book Medical Publishers. 1963; p.367-372.
- JAN H, Waal IV 1990. Bimaxillary hyperplasia: The facial expression of homozygous B-thalassemia. Oral Sur Oral Med Oral Path 1990;69: p.185-90.
- Cannell H. A development of oral and facial signs in the β-thalassemia. Br Den J. 1988; 164: p.50-51.
- Darwazeh MG, AA-H Hamasha and Pillai K. Prevalence of taurodontism in jordanian dental patients. Dentomaxillofacial radiology 1998; 27: p.163-165.
- Soni NN, Barbee EF, Fergusion AD, Parrish BA. Microradiographic study of odontologic tissues in cooley’s anemia. Journal of dental research.1966; 45: p.281.