IJCRR - Vol 05 Issue 16, August, 2013
DUPLEX APPENDIX: A MORPHOLOGICAL, EMBRYOLOGICAL AND APPLIED ASPECT
Author: Vandana Dave, Hitendra Kumar Loh, Avinash Thakur, Rajesh Kumar Suri
The vermiform appendix has been noted as a vestigial structure that has lost most of its original functions through the process of evolution. Duplication of appendix is extremely rare congenital entity which can be related with other anomalies of gastrointestinal tract. Double appendix represents a challenging clinical scenario in cases of right lower quadrant pain. In the present study we report a peculier case of double appendix. Understanding of appendiceal duplication is essential for clinicians to prevent acute and serious intestinal, genitourinary conditions; for surgeons performing surgeries and for medico legal connotations.
Keywords: vermiform appendix, vestigeal, appendicitis, double appendix.
Vandana Dave, Hitendra Kumar Loh, Avinash Thakur, Rajesh Kumar Suri. DUPLEX APPENDIX: A MORPHOLOGICAL, EMBRYOLOGICAL AND APPLIED ASPECT International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 05 Issue 16, August, 27-30
1. Williums PL, Bannister LH. The anatomical basis of medicine and surgery. ELBS with Chrchil Livingstone Grays Anatomy.1995; 38th ed. pp 1775-76.
2. Kjossev KT, Losanoff JE. Duplicated vermiform appendix. Br J Surg. 1996; 83; pp 1259.
3. Picoli G. (Quoted by Gupta and Kak, 1964) Progresso Medico (Napoli). 1892; 6; pp 32.
4. Eroglu E, Erdogan E, Gundogdu G, Dervisoglu S, Yeker D. Duplication of appendix vermiformis : a case in a child. Tech Coloproctol. 2002; 6; pp 55-57.
5. K. L. Moore, T.V.N. Persaud. The developing human, clinically oriented embryology. 2009; 8 th ed. pp 227-229.
6. Mitchell IC, Nicholls JC. Duplication of the vermiform appendix. Report of a case: Review of classification and medico legal aspects. Medicine, Science, Law. 1990; 30(2); pp 124- 26.
7. Cave AJE. Appendix vermiformis duplex. J Anat. 1936; 70; pp 283-292.
8. Wallbridge PH. Double appendix. Br J Surg. 1963; 50(221); pp 346- 347.
9. Drino E, Radnic D, Kotjelnikov B, Aksamija G. Rare anomalies in the development of the appendix. Acta Chir Iugosl. 1991;38; pp 103- 11.
10. Chew DK, Borromeo JR, Gabriel YA, Holgersen LO. Duplication of the vermiform appendix. J Pediatr Surg. 2000; 35; pp 617- 618.
11. Bishop HC, Koop CE. Surgical management of duplications of the alimentary tract. Am J Surg. 1964; 107; pp 434-442.
12. Jimenez SG, Oliver MR, Stokes KB, Morreau PN, Chow CW. Case report: Colonic duplication: a rare cause of obstruction. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1999; 14; pp 889–892.
13. Tinckler LF. Triple appendix vermiformis: a unique case. Br J Surg. 1968;55; pp 79-8.
14. Holcomb GW 3rd, Gheissari A, O'neill JA Jr, Shorter NA, Bishop HC. Surgical management of alimentary tract duplications. Ann Surg. 1989; 209; pp 167-174
15. Chen CC, Yeh DC, Wu CC, Li MC, Kwan PC. Huge cystic duplication of the ascending colon in adult. Zhonghua Yixue Zazhi (Taipei). 2001; 64; pp 174-178
16. Griffiths EA, Jagadeesana J, Fasihe T, MercerJonesa M. Bifid vermiform appendix: a case report. Curr Surg. 2006; 63; pp 176-178.
17. Travis JR, Weppner JL, Paugh JC. Duplex vermiform appendix: case report of a ruptured second appendix. J Pediatr Surg. 2008; 43; pp 1726–1728.