IJCRR - 5(17), September, 2013
SEASONAL GONADAL BIOCHEMICAL CHANGES, ASSOCIATED WITH THE REPRODUCTIVE CYCLE IN LABEO DYOCHEILUS (MCCLELLAND)
Author: Rakesh Verma
Seasonality in reproductive cycles as well as testicular and ovarian biochemical changes is very common among teleost. Seasonal gonadal biochemical changes have potent effect on gonadal maturation and period of spawning. Determination of seasonal variation in percentage value of lipids, protein and water in gonadal tissue and establish the possible correlation with gonadal maturity was the objective of the study. Our study of Gonado-somatic index (GSI) reveals that Monsoon was the spawning season of fish. Gonadal tissue biochemical study showed that the lipid percentage was highest during resting phase of testis and spawning phase of ovary, while lowest during resting phase of ovary and spawning phase of testis. We also found that the monthly variation of lipid concentration in ovary was 1.79 times higher than that of the testis. Protein percentage was highest during spawning phase and lowest during resting phase in both gonads. Monthly variation of protein content in the testis and the ovary was almost equal in percentage. Water percentage was lowest during resting phase of testis and spawning phase of ovary, while highest during resting phase of ovary and spawning phase of testis, water concentration in ovary was 1.10 times higher than testis. Finally Gonado-somatic index correlate with gonadal lipid, protein and water percentage, this study show that the water content (R2 = 0.664) is more responsible for maturation of testis and lipid content (R2 = 0.601) for ovary, as compare to other factors.
Keywords: gonadal lipid, protein, water, gonado-somatic index, reproductive cycle, seasonal changes, Labeo dyocheilus.
Rakesh Verma. SEASONAL GONADAL BIOCHEMICAL CHANGES, ASSOCIATED WITH THE REPRODUCTIVE CYCLE IN LABEO DYOCHEILUS (MCCLELLAND) International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(17), September, 82-89
1. Bano, Y. (1977). Seasonal variation in the biochemical composition of Claris batrachus L. Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 85: 147-155.
2. CAMP (1998). Conservation assessment and management plan for freshwater fishes of India. Workshop report Zoo Outreach organization, Coimbatore/ CBSG and NBFGR, Lucknow, India, 1-158
3. Evans D.H. (1998). The physiology of fishes 2nd ed. CRC Press.Boca roton, New York. 441-464.
4. Folch, J., Lees, M. and Stanley, G.H.S (1957). A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem., 226: 497-509.
5. G.P. Dubey (1994). Endangered, vulnerable and rare fishes of west coast river systems of India. In: Threatened Fishes of India, P.V. Dehadrai, P. Das and S.R. Verma (Eds.). Natcon publication, India. 4: 77-95.
6. Henderson, R. J. & Tocher, D. R. (1987). The lipid-composition and biochemistry of freshwater fish. Progress in Lipid Research 26: 281-347.
7. Jafri A. K. & Khawaja D. K. (1968). Seasonal changes in biochemical composition of fresh water murrel Ophiocephallus punctatus (Bloch). Hydrobiologia, 32 (1-2): 206-218.
8. Jonh T. Sophy and Hameed M. Shanul (1995). Boichemical composition of Nemipterus japonicus and Nemipterus leptilepis in relation to maturity cycle. Fishery Tech 32(2): 102- 107
9. Kingston, S. and Venkataramani V.K. (1994). Biochemical composition yellow stripe scad, Selaroides leptoepis as a function of maturity stage and length fishery Tech., 31: 159-162.
10. Kumar, A., Singh I.J. and Ram R.N. (2001). Correlative cyclicity of certain biological indices and testicular development in Labeo rohita (Ham.) under tarai condition of Uttranchal. The Indian journal of Animal sciences (ICAR, New Delhi Publication), 71(11):1085-1087.
11. Love, R.M. (1970). The Chemical Biology of Fishes. Academic Press, Inc., London. 547.
12. Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N., Farr, A.L. and Randall, R.J. (1951). Protein measurement with Folin Phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem., 193: 265-285.
13. Luzzana U. Serrini, G. Moretti V.M. Grimaldi P. Paleari M.A. and Valfre F. (1996). Seasonal variations in fat content and fatty acid composition of male and female Coreganid bondella from Lake Maggiore and Land locked shad from Lake Cemo (North Italy). J. Fish Boil. 48(3): 352-366.
14. Macay M. and Tunison A.V. (1936). Cortland Hatchery Report No. 5. N.Y. State Cons. Deptt. Us Bur of fish and Cornell Univ.
15. MacFarlane, R.B., Norton, E.C. and Bowers, M.J. (1993). Lipid dynamics in relation to the annual reproductive cycle in yellow tail rockfish, Sebastes flavidus. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 50: 391- 401.
16. Okuda, N. (2001). The costs of reproduction to males and females of a paternal mouth brooding cardinalfish, Apogon notatus. Journal of Fish Biology, 58: 776-787.
17. P.S. Prasad (1994). Status paper on endangered, vulnerable and rare species of Bihar. In: Threatened Fishes of India. (P.V. Dehadrai, P. Das and S.R. Verma Eds.). Natcon publication, India. 4: 25-29.
18. Robertson, D. R. (1990). Differences in the seasonalities of spawning and recruitment of some small neotropical reef fishes. J. exp. mar. Biol. Ecol., 144: 49-62.
19. Shreni, D. Kalpana (1980). Seasonal variations in the chemical composition of cat fish. Heteropneustes fossilis (Bloch). Proc. Ind Acad Sci. (anim. Sci.), 89: 191-196.
20. Singh, A.K. and Singh, T.P. (1979). Seasonal fluctuation in total lipid and cholesterol content of ovary liver and blood serum in relation to annual sexual cycle in Hereropneustes fossilis (Bloch). Endocrinologie, 73: 47-54.
21. Singh, A.K., Kumar A., Singh I.J. and Ram R.N. (2004). Lipid and water content profiles in ovary and liver in a freshwater teleost, Labeo rohita during annual reproductive cycle in the tarai condition of Uttaranchal. Journal of Aquaculture in Tropics. 19(2): 137-144.
22. Singh, H.R. and Nauriyal, B.P. (1990). A comparative study of some biochemical constituents in the reproductive cycle of hill stream teleosts. Schizothorax richardsonii (Gray) & Glypthorax pectinopterus (Meleod). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., India, 16: 117-123.
23. Singh, I.J. and Singh, T.P. (1983). Annual changes in total gonadotropic potency in relation to gonadal activity in fresh water, Clarias batrachus. J. Inter Disci. Pl. Cycle. Res., 4: 227-239.
24. Singh, I.J. and Singh, T.P. (1984). Chang in gonadotropin, lipid cholesterol levels during annual reproductive cycle in the fresh water teleost, Cirrhinus mrigala (Ham.) Annales’D Endocrinologie, Paris, 45: 131-136.
25. Somvanshi (1983). Seasonal changes in biochemical composition of Hill stream fish Garra mullya, Ind. J. Fish. 30 (1).
26. Winemiller, K. O. (1993). Seasonality of reproduction by livebearing fishes in tropical rainforest streams. Oecologia, 95: 266-276.