IJCRR - Vol 05 Issue 17, September, 2013
WORK POSTURE AND PREVALENCE OF MUSCULOSKELETAL SYMPTOMS AMONG WOMEN IN PACKING ACTIVITIES OF PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY
Author: Prasuna Velaga, Neeraja Telaprolu
The pharmaceutical industry is one of the major industries of Andhra Pradesh. Huge number of women were employed in these industries to carry out packing activities manually. These packing activities being static and repetitive may give rise to fixed body positions, continued repetition of movements and concentrated force on hand or wrist with out sufficient recovery between the movements. A study was undertaken to determine the prevalence of musculoskeletal symptoms among women workers involved in packing activities of pharmaceutical industry. The sample consisted of 270 women workers randomly selected from nine pharmaceutical industries in Hyderabad. Work posture was evaluated by using RULA (Rapid Upper Limb Assessment) technique. A scale was developed to study the musculoskeletal symptoms in nine anatomical body regions. The musculoskeletal discomforts like pain, stiffness, swelling, spasms and so on experienced by women were explored. Correlation between the postural score obtained with the use of RULA and musculoskeletal symptoms was explored. There was a significant positive correlation between RULA posture score and prevalence of musculoskeletal symptoms. Further through ANOVA significant difference between the respondents with mild, moderate and severe musculoskeletal symptoms was found out. The results emphasized poor working postures of the workers in packing activities need to be changed soon.
Keywords: Musculoskeletal Symptoms, Packing, Pharmaceutical industry, Posture, RULA
Prasuna Velaga, Neeraja Telaprolu. WORK POSTURE AND PREVALENCE OF MUSCULOSKELETAL SYMPTOMS AMONG WOMEN IN PACKING ACTIVITIES OF PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 05 Issue 17, September, 57-64
1. APITCO Limited, Engineering Growth, Draft Diagnostic study report, Pharmaceutical cluster, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh submitted to PMD Division, Small Industries Development Bank of India, 2009.
2. Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety, OSH Answers: Work-related Musculoskeletal Disorders (WMSDs). 2005.
3. Mc. L. Atamney, E.N.Corlett, RULA: a survey method for the investigation of work related upper limb disorders. Applied Ergonomics, 24 (2), 1993, 91–99.
4. I.Kuorinka, B. Jonsson, A. Kilborn H. Vinterberg, , S.F. Biering, G. Andersson and K. Jorgensen, Standardized Nordic questionnaire for the analysis of musculoskeletal symptoms. Applied Ergonomics, 1987, 18, 233–237.
5. C.E. Dickinson, K. Campion, A.F. Foster, S.J. Newman, A.M.T.O. Rourke and P.G. Thomas. Questionnaire development: an examination of the Nordic Musculoskeletal Questionnaire. Applied Ergonomics, 23(3), 1992, 197-201
6. R.S. Winwood, Smith, J.L. Anatomy and Physiology for Nurses. (Education Academic and Medicinal Publishing Division of Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1985)
7. Shuval, K., Donchin, M. Prevalence of upper extremity musculoskeletal symptoms and ergonomic risk factors at a Hi-Tech company in Israel. Industrial Ergonomics, 35, 2005, 569-58.
8. T. Jones and S. Kumar, Comparison of ergonomic risk assessments in a repetitive high risk saw mill occupation: saw filter, Industrial Ergonomics, 37, 2007, 744-753.
9. A.Choobineh, R. Tosian, Z. Alhamdi and M. Davarzanie, Ergonomic intervention in carpet mending operation, Applied Ergonomics, 35, 2004, 493-496.
10. S. Varmazyar, A.S. Varyani, I.M. Zeidi and H.J. Hashemi, Evaluation Working Posture and Musculoskeletal Disorders Prevalence in Pharmacy Packaging Workers, European Journal of Scientific Research, 29(1), 2009, 82-88.
11. M. Massaccesi, A. Pagnotta, A. Soccetti, M. Masali, C. Masiero and F. Greco, Investigation of work-related disorders in truck drivers using RULA method, Applied Ergonomics, 34, 2003, 303-307.
12. M. Pourmahabadian, M. Akhavan and K. Azam, Investigation of risk factors of workrelated musculoskeletal disorders in a pharmaceutical industry, Journal of Applied Sciences, 8(7), 2008, 1262-1267.