IJCRR - vol 05 issue 19, October, 2013
AN INTERVENTIONAL TRIAL TO EVALUATE EFFICACY OF NUTOOL THERAPY IN CONTROL OF PRIMARY INSOMNIA AMONG ELDERLY USING INSOMNIA SEVERITY INDEX
Author: Muhib J., Arish M. K. Shervani, Najeeb J., Kouser F. F., A. Nasir Ansari, Muneeb J.
Background and objectives: Insomnia is a unique and complex problem in geriatric population. As many as half of the elderly population between 60 to 79 years of age complain of disturbed sleep, which includes increased sleep latency, decreased quality of sleep, awaking symptoms, excessive daytime sleepiness, mental stress / depression which may result in disturbed intellect, impaired cognition, confusion, psychomotor retardation the whole syndrome of complaints can compromise patient’s quality of life and create social and economic burden for caregiver. Considering the wide spread prevalence of insomnia in geriatrics, compounded with lack of wholesome drugs in the treatment, an interventional study was carried out with the objectives to evaluate the efficacy and safety of Nutool therapy in control of geriatric insomnia. Methods: A total of 30 elderly primary insomniacs, diagnosed for primary insomnia by Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, were randomly assigned to test and control groups, comprising 15 patients in each group, respectively. In the test group, Nutool was performed with Roghan e Banafsha (500ml) and Roghan e Gul (500ml), both mixed in equal ratio while Nutool was done with liquid paraffin in control group. The therapy was scheduled on alternate days for one month. The change in the severity of insomnia was evaluated on the basis of scores of Insomnia severity index. Statistical analysis was done using student t-test (paired) for comparison in intra group and t-test (unpaired) for inter-group comparison. Results: Nutool therapy showed statistically significant improvement in all the parameters of Insomnia Severity Index, when pre and post interventional values of the parameters were assessed in intra as well as inter group comparisons. Interpretation and conclusion: This intervention proves the efficacy and safety of Nutool therapy in control of insomnia among elderly.
Keywords: Insomnia, geriatrics, Nutool therapy, Insomnia severity index.
Muhib J., Arish M. K. Shervani, Najeeb J., Kouser F. F., A. Nasir Ansari, Muneeb J.. AN INTERVENTIONAL TRIAL TO EVALUATE EFFICACY OF NUTOOL THERAPY IN CONTROL OF PRIMARY INSOMNIA AMONG ELDERLY USING INSOMNIA SEVERITY INDEX International Journal of Current Research and Review. vol 05 issue 19, October, 103-109
- Roth T, Hajak G, Ustun TB. Consensus for the pharmacological management of insomnia in the new millennium. Int J Clin Practic 2001; 55(1): 42-52.
- Avidan AY. Insomnia in geriatric patients. Clin Cornerstone 2003; 5(3): 51-60
- Belanger L, Belleville G, Morin MC. Management of hypnotic dyscontinuation in chronic insomnia. Sleep Med Clin 2009; 4: 583-592.
- Breslau N, Roth T, Rosenthal L et al. Sleep disturbances and psychiatric disorders: a longitudinal epidemiological study in young adults. Biol psychiatry 1996; 39(6): 411-8)
- Insomnia newer hypnotic drugs. http://www.nice.org.ku/guidance/index.jsp?action=byIDando=11530. cited on 3-4- 2010
- Krishnan P, Hawranik P. Diagnosis and management of geriatric insomnia: A guide for nurse practitioners. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners 2008; 20(12):590.
- Ghani MN. Khazainul Advia. New Delhi: Idarae kitabul shifa; YNM: 120-122,741-742, 802,805, 813,814, 999-1003, 1235-1236. 397-398, 1133-1135,
- Ibn sena. Kulliyat e qanoon. (Urdu translation by Kabir uddin.). vol 1,2 New Delhi: Eijaz Publication House; 2003:156-156.
- Khan A. Qarabadein e Azam, Maqzanul mujarribat. New Delhi: Aijaz publications1996: 609.
- Baghdadi IH. Kitabul mukhtarat fil tib. Vol II. New Delhi: CCRUM; 2005: 429-30
- Sleep disorders In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th ed. Text Revision American Psychiatric Association. Washington, DC; 2000:533-557.
- Buscemi N, Vandermeer B, Friesen C. Manifestations and management of chronic insomnia in adults. Evid Rep Technol Assess (Summ) 2005 ;( 125):1–10.
- Irwin MR, Cole JC, Nicassio PM. Comparative meta-analysis of behavioral interventions for insomnia and their efficacy in middle-aged adults and in older adults 55+ years of age. Health Psychol 2006; 25(1):3–14