IJCRR - Vol 09 Issue 04, February, 2017
Hemorrhagic risks associated with dental procedure in a rare case of Type II Sturge weber syndrome
Author: Ashwini Nerkar1, Rajeev Gadgil2, Ajay Bhoosreddy3, Karan Shah4
Aim: Sturge weber syndrome (SWS) is a sporadic congenital neurocutaneous disorder. It belongs to phakomatoses group of disorders. It is basically combinations of manifestations such as port-wine stains (PWS) of the face, ipsilateral leptomeningeal angioma (cerebral malformations and tumours), glaucoma, seizures and mental retardation. Sturge weber syndrome type II have no evidence of brain involvement though it shows a vascular malformation on the face and the possibility of glaucoma. We hereby delineate a case of a female, reported with PWS and diagnosed as Type II Sturge weber syndrome.
Case Report: We reported a case of a 35-year-old female who had a diffused swelling on the right maxillary region corresponding to the distribution of the cutaneous port-wine stain and glaucoma of the right eye. Positive manifestations with respect to skin, eyes and oral cavity along with negative radiographic findings, we arrived to the diagnosis of Type II Sturge weber syndrome.
Discussion: Differential diagnosis of SWS includes Rendu Osler Weber syndrome, Von Hippel Lindau Disease and Maffucci Syndrome. Diagnosis is made only on the basis of clinical and imaging features.
Conclusion: Dental procedures are associated with increased possibility of hemorrhage in sturge weber syndrome. Thus, doing treatment in such patients is a difficult task for oral health care practitioners. Therefore the intent of the presented case is to keep in background a clinical scenario of similar pattern, if observed, will need to be diagnosed with utmost caution prior to any dental procedure.
Keywords: Encephalotrigeminal angiomatosis, Ocular manifestations, Oral manifestations, Sturge weber syndrome, Vascular lesions
Ashwini Nerkar1, Rajeev Gadgil2, Ajay Bhoosreddy3, Karan Shah4. Hemorrhagic risks associated with dental procedure in a rare case of Type II Sturge weber syndrome International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 09 Issue 04, February, 21-25
1. Gorlin RJ, Pindborg JJ.1964. Syndromes of head and neck. New York: McGraw-Hill, pp. 406–9.
2. Welty LD.(2006) Sturge-Weber Syndrome: A Case Study, Neonatal Network:® The Journal of Neonatal Nursing 25(2):89-98
3. Suman Bhagat, Garima Gupta, Sohan Singh.(2015) Unusual presentation of sturge weber syndrome, Journal of case reports 5(1):111-11
4.Ravala Siddeswari, Siddula Manohar, Thatikala Abhilash.(2014) Sturge-Weber syndrome, Journal of Medical & Allied Sciences 4( 2 ): 88-90.
5. Sumit Sen, Sanchaita Bala, Chinmay Halder, Rahul Ahar, Anusree Gangopadhyay. (2015) Pigmentovascularis Presenting with Sturge?Weber Syndrome and Klippel Trenaunay Syndrome, Indian Journal of Dermatology 60(1)
6.Neville BW, Damm DD, Allen CM, Bouquot JE .2009. Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, 3rd ed, St. Louis: Elsevier.
7. Neto FXP, Junior MAV, Ximenes LS, de Souza Jacob CC, Junior AGR, Palheta ACP.(2008) Clinical Features of Sturge-Weber Syndrome, Intl Arch Otorhinolaryngol 12(4):565-70.
8. Anne-Sophie Dutkiewicz, Khaled Ezzedine, Juliette Mazereeuw-Hautier, Jean-Philippe Lacour, S_Ebastien Barbarot, Pierre Vabres, Juliette Miquel, Xavier Balguerie, Ludovic Martin, Franck Boralevi, Pierre Bessou, Jean-Franc¸ Ois Chateil, And Christine L_Eaut_E-Labr_Eze.(2015) A prospective study of risk for sturge-weber syndrome in children with upper facial port-wine stain, J am Acad Dermatol.
9. Asdullah, Arti S. Sachdev, K.Srinivas, P. Ratnakar.(2015) Sturge-weber syndrome : A case report, University J Dent Scie,1(2)
10. Haslam R.1996 Neurocutaneous syndromes. In: Nelson WE,BehrmanRE, Kliegman RM, Arvin AM, eds. Nelson textbook of pediatrics,15th ed. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders,1707-9.
11. Natarajan Mannivanan, Subramanium Gokhulathan, Ramakrishna Ahathya, Gubernath, Rajkumar Daniel, Shanmungasundaram.(2012)Sturge –weber syndrome, J Pharm Bioallied Sci 4(Suppl 2): S349–S352.
12. Nathan N, Thaller SR.(2006) Sturge-Weber syndrome and associated congenital vascular disorders: A review, J Craniofac Surg 17:724-8.
13. Comi AM.(2007) Update on Sturge-Weber syndrome: Diagnosis, treatment, quantitative measures, and controversies, Lymphat Res Biol 5:257-64.
14.Bhansali RS, Yeltiwar RK, Agrawal AA.(2008) Periodontal management of gingival enlargement associated with Sturge-Weber syndrome, J Periodontol 79:549-55
15.Chaundhary SC, Sonkar SK, KumarV, Golchha S.(2011)Sturge Weber Syndrome, J Associ Physicians India 59:327-9
16.Khan AN, Turnbull I, Macdonald S, et al. Sturge Weber Syndrome. Available from: http://
17.The Sturge Weber Foundation: http://www.sturge-weber.org
18. Ankita Pandey, Prasad Yeshwant Deshmukh, Balaji Jadhav, Y. S. Nandanwar.(2015) A rare case of pregnancy with Sturge-Weber syndrome ,Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol 4(3):866-868
19. Mustapha adekunle fatai, Adebanjo Oluyemi mary and Aadebimpe Oluwafisayo adenike.(2015) Case Report Sturge-Weber Syndrome: A Case Report in a 39 Yr- Old Man with Delayed Diagnosis , Austin J Clin Neurol 2(6): id1049
20. Paller AS.(1987)The Sturge Weber Syndrome. Pediatric Dermatology 4(4):300-4.
21.Khambete N, Risbud M, Kshar A.(2011) Sturge-Weber Syndrome: A Case Report,International Journal of Dental Clinics 3(1):79-81.
22. Solmaz Abdolrahimzadeh, Vittorio Scavella, Lorenzo Felli, Filippo Cruciani,Maria Teresa Contestabile, and Santi Maria Recupero.(2015) Review Article Ophthalmic Alterations in the Sturge-Weber Syndrome, Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome, and the Phakomatosis Pigmentovascularis: An Independent Group of Conditions?,Hindawi Publishing Corporation BioMed Research International Volume
23. Wahab Arif, Wahab Shagufta, Khan Rizwan Ahmad, Goyal Ruchi, Dabas Nisha(2008) Sturge Weber Syndrome: A Review Bombay Hospital Journal 50(1):55-58.
24. Godge P, Sharma S, Yadav M, Patil P, Kulkarni S.(2011) Sturge Weber syndrome: A case report, Rev Odonto Cienc 26(4):366-369.
25. Sadick H, Sadick M, Gotte K, Naim R, Riedel F, Bran G, et al.(2006) Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia: an update on clinical manifestations and diagnostic measures ,Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:72–80.
26.Maher ER, Yates JRW, Harries R, et al.(1990) Clinical-Features and Natural-History of von Hippel-Lindau Disease, Quart J Med 77:1151–1163.
27. Elston JB, Payne WG.(2014) Maffucci syndrome. Eplasty 14(ic1):1.
28. D. E. C. Perez, J. S. Pereira Neto, E. Graner, M. A. Lopes.(2005) Sturge–Weber syndrome in a 6-year-old girl, International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 15:131-135.
29. Darbar UR, Hopper C, Spoight PM.(1982) Combined treatment approach to gingival over growth due to drug therapy, J Clin Periodontol 23: 940