IJCRR - 5(20), October, 2013
EFFECT OF PYRIPROXYFEN ON FUNCTION AND TISSUE OF TESTIS IN ADULT RAT
Author: Ghavami Mehrnoush , Shariati Mehrdad , Khatamsaz Saeid
Objective: Pyriproxyfen is a pyridine insecticide and used in agriculture widely. Extensive application
of pyriproxyfen to control annual insect pest in agriculture, horticulture and horn garden, leads to
environmental pollution and its entrance into the food chain could have determined effects on human
and other species. In this research the effects of pyriproxyfen on reproductive parameters of the male
rats including serum LH, FSH, testosterone levels, and changes in testicular tissue and body weight
Methods: For this purpose 250 ? 5g male Wistar strain rats (n = 50) were randomly collected and
divided into 5 group of 10, including control, sham (received distilled water 70%+ethanol 20%+aceton
10%as a solvent), and three experimental groups which received 1000, 2000 and 4000 mg/kg/bw
pyriproxyfen orally. After 28 days, body and testis weight were measured and blood samples were
taken from heart and used for measurement of LH, FSH and testosterone levels. To evaluate
histological changes, testes were removed and weighed and, after obtaining tissue section, stained by H
and E method.
Results: Serum testosterone, FSH, and LH levels showed significant decreasing in experimental groups
(p ? 0.05). There was significant decreasing in the number of germinal and somatic cells in testis in
experimental groups. There was also a significant decreasing in body and testis weight in experimental
groups, as compared to control group.
Conclusion: It can be concluded that oral administration of pyriproxyfen could reduction
gonadotropins and testosterone hormone levels and also this insecticide might have hazardous effects
on testis tissue.
Keywords: Pyriproxyfen, Testosterone, Gonadotropins, Testis, Rat
Ghavami Mehrnoush , Shariati Mehrdad , Khatamsaz Saeid. EFFECT OF PYRIPROXYFEN ON FUNCTION AND TISSUE OF TESTIS IN ADULT RAT International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(20), October, 66-74
- Bervini TA, Zanetto SB, Cillo F. Effect of endocrine disruptors on developmental and reproductive functions .Curr Drug Targets Immune Endocr Metabol Disord 2005;5(1):1-10.
- Trubo R. Endocrine-disrupting chemicals probed as potential pathway to illness. JAMA 2005; 294 (3):291-293.
- Elobeid MA, Allison DB. Putative environmental endocrine disruptors and obesity .Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 2008;15 (5):403-408.
- Zitzmann M. Effect of testosterone replacement and its pharmacogenetics on physical performance and metabolism .Asian J Andrology 2008;10(3):364-372.
- Wade AP, Wilkinson GS, Davis JC, Jeffcoate TN. The metabolism of testosterone, androstendione and oesterone by testes from a case of testicular feminization .J Endocrinol 1968;42(3):391-403.
- Franc M, Genchi C, Bouhsira E, Warin S, Kaltsatos V, Baduel L, Genchi M. Efficacy of dinotefuran,permithin and pyriproxyfen combination spot-on against Ades aegypti mosquitoes on dogs .Vet Parasitol 2012;189(2-4): 333-337.
- Iacobellis G, Ribaudo MC, Zappaterreno A, Iannucci CV, Leonetti F. Relationship of thyroid function with body mass index ,leptin, insulin sensitivity and adiponectin in euthyroid obese woman .Clin Endocrinol(Oxf) 2005;62(4):487-491.
- Knudsen N, Laurberg P, Rasmussen LB, Bulow I, Perrild H, Ovesen L, et al. Small differences in thyroid function may be important for body mass index and the occurrence of obesity in the population .J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005;90(7):4019-4024.
- Fraser R, Ingram MC, Anderson NH, Morrison C, Davies E, Connell JM. Cortisol effect on body mass, blood pressure and cholesterol in the general population. Hypertension 1999;33(6):1364-1368.
- Choi SM, Lee BM. An alternative mode of action of endocrine disrupting chemicals and chemoprevention. J Toxicol Environ Health 2004;7(6):451-463.
- Sial AA, Brunner JF. Lethal and sublethal effects of an insect growth regulator, pyriproxyfen, on Obliquebanded leafroller (Lepidopetra Torti). J Econ Entomol 2010;103 (2):340-347.
- Toppari J, Larsen GC, Christiansen P, Giwercman A, Grandjean P, Guillette LJ, et al. Male reproductive health and environmental xenoestrogens. Environ Health Perspect 1996;104 (4):741-803.
- Debus N, Breen KM, Barrell GK, Billings HJ, Brown M, Young EA, et al. Does cortisol mediate endotoxin induced inhibition of pulsatile luteinizing hormone and gonadotropin-releasing hormone secretion? Endocrinology 2002;143(10):3748-3758.
- Tassou KT, Schulz R. Effect of the insect growth regulatory pyriproxyfen in a two-generation test with chironomus riparius. Ecotoxicol environment 2009;72 (4):1058-1062.
- Breen KM, Billings HJ, Wagenmaker ER, Wessinger EW, Karsch FG. Endocrine basis for disruptive effects of cortisol on preovulatory events. Endocrinology 2005;146(4):2107-2115.
- Bambino TH, Hsueh AJ. Direct inhibitory effect of glucocorticoids upon testicular luteinizing hormone receptor and steroidogenesis in vivo and in vitro. Endocrinology 1981; 108(6): 2142-2148.
- Juinewicz PE, Johnson BH, Bolt DJ. Effect of adrenal steroids on testosterone and luteinizing hormone secretion in the ram. Andrology 1987; 8(3): 190-196.
- Norman RL. Effect of corticotropin- releasing hormone on luteinizing hormone, testosterone and cortisol secretion in intact male rhesus macaques.Biol Reprod 1993; 79(1): 148-153.
- Hoogeveen AR, Zonderland ML. Relationships between testosterone, cortisol and performance in professional cyclists. Int J Sports Med 1996; 17(6): 423-428
- Shanker DS, Kulkarni RS. Effects of cortisol on testis freshwater fish Notopterus notopterus (pallas).Indian J Expl Biol 2000; 38(12): 1227-1230.
- Consten D, Keuning ED, Terlou M, Lambert JGD, Goos HJT. Cortisol effects on the testicular androgen synthesizing capacity in common carp, Cyprinus carpio L. Fish Physiol Biochem 2001; 25(2): 91-98.
- Mikamo E, Harada S, Nishikawa J, Nishihara T. Endocrine disruptors induce cytochrome P450 by affecting transcriptional regulation via pregnane X receptor. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2003;193(1): 66-72.
- Tabb MM, Blumberg B. New modes of action for endocrine-disrupting chemicals .Mol Endocrinol 2006;20(3):475-482.
- Guillette LJ. Endocrine disrupting contaminants beyond the Dogma. Environ Health Perspect 2006; 114(1):9-12.
- Toell A, Kroncke KD, Kleinert H, Carlberg C. Orphan nuclear receptor binding site in the human inducible nitric oxide synthesis promoter mediats responsiveness to steroid and xenobiotic ligands. J Cell Biochem 2002; 85(1): 72-82.
- Del Punta K, Charreau EH, Pignataro OP. Nitric oxide inhibits leydig cell steroidogenesis.Endocrinology 1996; 137(12): 5337-5343.
- Pomerantz DK, Pitelka V. Nitric oxide is a mediator of the inhibitory effect of activated macrophages on production of androgen by the leydig cell of the mouse. Endocrinology 1998; 139(3): 3922-3931.
- O’Bryan MK, Schlatt S, Gerdprasert O, Phillips DJ, Kretser DM, Hedger MP. Inducible nitric oxide synthesis in the rat testis: evidence for potential roles in both normal function and inflammation- mediated infertility. Biol Reprod 2000; 63(5): 1285-1293.
- Pontecorvo G, Fantaccione S. Recombinogenic activity of 10 chemical compounds in male germ cells of Drosophila melanogaster. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 2006; 65(1): 93-101.
- Ishikawa T, Kondo Y, Goda K, Fujisawa M. Overexpression of endothelial nitric oxide synthesis in transgenic mice accelerates testicular germ cell apoptosis induced by experimental cryptorchidism.J Androl 2005; 26(2):281-288.
- Lue Y, Shina Hikim AP, Wang C, Leung A, Swerdloff RS. Functional role of inducible nitric oxide synthesis in the induction of male germ cell apoptosis, regulation of sperm number and determination of testes size: evidence from null mutant mice. Endocrinology 2003; 144(7):3092-3100.
- Kavallieratos NG, Athanassiou CG, Vayias BJ, Tomanovi Z. Efficacy of insect growth regulators as grain protectants against two stored-product pests in wheat and maize. J Food Prot 2012;75 (5):945-949.
- Lee NP, Cheng CY. Nitric oxide/nitric oxide synthesis, spermatogenesis and tight junction dynamics. Biol Reprod 2004;70(2):267-276.