IJCRR - 5(21), November, 2013
DIAGNOSIS OF IRON DEFICIENCY OF CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE : VALIDITY OF IRON PARAMETERS, RETICULOCYTE HEMOGLOBIN CONTENT(CHR) AND HYPOCHROMIC RED CELLS IN INFLAMMATORY STATE
Author: Vidyashankar P., Alan F. Almeida, Niwruti K. Hase, Arun Halankar, Harinakshi Rai, Sadanand Bhusari
Introduction: Diagnosis of iron deficiency is difficult in presence of uraemia. The validity of these tests in the presence of inflammation has not been studied, and it formed the basis of this enquiry. Methods: On hundred and twenty two consecutive chronic kidney disease (CKD III, IV, V-non dialysis) patients were enrolled. Complete hemogram, iron studies, Reticulocyte hemoglobin content (CHr) and percent hypochromic red cells (%Hypo), high sensitive CRP (hs-CRP) levels were done. In the study group of 122 patients screened, 103 patients were found to be iron deficient by Kidney Dialysis Outcome Quality Initiative (KDOQI) criteria. In the iron deficient patients, intra venous iron (i.v iron sucrose 1000mg) was administered in divided doses followed by erythropoetin and the tests were repeated after 4 weeks of completing i.v iron therapy. If the rise in Hb> 1gm%, at the end of 4 weeks, the patient were grouped into responders (iron deficient subjects). The rest were grouped as non responders(Iron replete).The value of the tests, individually or in combination, was determined in the subgroups and categorized based on hs-CRP levels (<5mg/L). Results: Fifty eight of the 103 patients responded to i.v iron therapy (iron deficient).Varied sensitivity, specificity, and positive and negative predictive values were noted when tests were used individually or in combination to diagnose iron deficiency anemia. Conclusion: Iron studies are useful screening methods, but In the presence of inflammation, the combination of parameters with CHr and Hypochromic red cells add to specificity.
Keywords: Iron deficiency, iron studies, Reticulocyte hemoglobin content (CHr), Hypochromic red cells (Hypo %), Inflammation.
Vidyashankar P., Alan F. Almeida, Niwruti K. Hase, Arun Halankar, Harinakshi Rai, Sadanand Bhusari. DIAGNOSIS OF IRON DEFICIENCY OF CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE : VALIDITY OF IRON PARAMETERS, RETICULOCYTE HEMOGLOBIN CONTENT(CHR) AND HYPOCHROMIC RED CELLS IN INFLAMMATORY STATE International Journal of Current Research and Review. 5(21), November, 83-91
- Konijn AM, Hershko C: Anemia of inflammation and Chronic Disease, in iron in immunity, cancer and inflammation, edited by De Souza M, Brock JH, Chechister, John Wiley and sons,:111-143. 1989
- Sears D. Anemia of chronic disease. Med Clin north Am; 76:567-579,1992
- Allan B Schartz, Vinod prasad,Jaslot Garcha.Anemia of chronic Kidney Disease: A combined effect of marginal iron stores and erythropoeitin deficiency. Nephrol Dialysis and Transplantation. Vol 33 No 12, pp 758-767,Dec 2004.
- Sunder-Plausmann G,Horl WH, Spitzauer S .The dilemma of evaluating iron status in dialysis patients-limitations of available diagnostic procedures. Nephrol Dail Transplant; 12:1575-1580,1997
- Navarro JF,Macia ML. Hypochromic red cells as an indicator of iron deficiency. J Rhematol; 24:804-805,1997
- Wittie DL: Can serum ferritin be effectively interpreted in the presence of acute phase response? Clin Chem; 37:484-485,1991
- Dennison HA. Limitation of serum ferritin as a marker of anemia in end stage renal Disease. ANNA J; 26: 409-414,1999
- New European Best Practice for the guideline of anemia of chronic kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplantation.20 (7): 1512-1587,2005.
- Clinical practice guideline for management of anemia of chronic kidney disease. K/DOQI update 2006,Am J kid disease 47:855-924, 2006.
- Gokal R,Millard PR, Weatherall DJ, Callender ST et al. Iron metabolism in hemodialysis patients. QJ med; 48:369-391,1979
- Konijn AM, Hershko C.Ferritin synthesis in inflammation: pathogenesis of impaired iron release. Br J Hematol; 37:7-16,1977
- Lipschitz DA,Cook JD,Finch CA;A clinical evaluation of serum ferritin as an index of iron stores.New Eng J Med 290;1213-1216,1974
- Finch CA,Bellotti V,Stray S , Lipschitz DA: Plasma ferritin determination as a diagnostic tool .West Ind J Med 145:657-663,1986
- Kalantar-Zadeh K, Hoffken B, Wunsch H, Fink H, Kleiner M, Luft FC: Diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia in renal failure patients during the post-erythropoietin era. Am J Kidney Dis26 :292– 299,1995
- Rosenberg ME: Role of transferrin measurement in monitoring iron status during recombinant erythropoeitin therapy. Dial Transplant 21:81-90,1992
- Hastika J, Lasserre JJ, Schwatzbeck A, Rieter A, Hehlmann R. Laboratory tests of iron status. Clin Chem., 42:7:712-724. 1996.
- Macdougall IC,Berner CM,Wild BJ,Cavil I et al. Measurement of red cell hypochromasia is a useful indicator of iron status in renal patients. J Am Soc Nephrol; 3:427,1992
- Fishbane S, Galgano C, Langley RC Jr, Canfield W, Maesaka JK. Reticulocyte hemoglobin content in the evaluation of iron status of hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int; 52: 217-22. 1997
- Mittman N, Sreedhara R, Mushnick R, Chattopadhyay J, Zelmanovic D, Vaseghi M, Avram MM. Reticulocyte hemoglobin content predicts functional iron deficiency in hemodialysis patients receiving rHuEPO. Am J Kidney Dis; 30: 912-22. 1997
- Cullen P, Soffker J, Hopfl M, Bremer C, Schlaghecken R, Mehrens T, Assmann G, Schaefer RM. Hypochromic red cells and reticulocyte haemoglobin content as markers of iron-deficient erythropoiesis in patients undergoing chronic haemodialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant; 14: 659-65. 1999
- Mast AE, Blinder MA, Lu Q, Flax S, Dietzen DJ. Clinical utility of the reticulocyte hemoglobin content in the diagnosis of iron deficiency. Blood; 99: 1489-91.2002
- Fishbane S, Shapiro W, Dutka P, Valenzuela OF, Faubert J. A randomized trial of iron deficiency testing strategies in hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int; 60: 2406-. 2001
- Y. Fukui, S. Samma , K. Fujimoto , A. Yamaguchi , Y. Umeki , M. Ooto, M. Arima Reticulocyte hemoglobin content as a marker of iron status in patients receiving maintenance hemodialysis.J Nephrol ;23:123-135. 2003
- Brugnara C, Chambers LA.Malynn E,Goldberg MA et al. Red blood cell regeneration induced by subcutaneous recombinant erythropoeitin; Iron deficient erythropoeisis in iron replete subjects.Blood;81:956-964,1993
- Mittman N, Sreedhara R, Mushnick R, Chattopadhyay J et al. Reticulocyte hemoglobin content predicts functional iron deficiency in hemodialysis patients receiving erythropoeitin. AM J Kidney Dis; 30:912-922,1997
- Brugnara C, Iron deficiency and erythropoeisis .New diagnostic approaches. Clin Chem 49; 1573-1578,2003
- National kidney Foundation .K/DOQI Clinical practice guideline for anemia of chronic kidney disease, Am J Kidney dis; 37:S182-S238, 2001
- Yoshikatsu Kaneko, Shigeru Miyazaki,Yoshihri Hirasawa, Fumitake G et al, Transferrin saturation verses reticulocyte hemoglobin content for iron deficiency in Japanese hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int, 63:1086-1093,2003
- Fishbane S,Galgano C,Langley RC,Canfield W,Mawsaka JK. Reticulocte hemoglobin content in the evaluation of iron status of hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int; 52:217-222,1997
- Brugnara C,Collela GM, Cremins J, Lanmgley RC; Effects of subcutaneous recombinant erythropoeitin in normal subjects. Development of decreased reticulocyte hemoglobin content and iron deficiency erythropoeisis. J lab Clin Med 123:660-667,1994
- Brugnara C,Hipp MJ, Irving PJ, Lathrop H, Lee PA, Minchello EM et al:Automated reticulocyte counting and measurement of reticulocyte cellular indices. Am J Clin Pathol 102:602-632,1994
- Macdougall IC, Caill I, Hulme B, and Bain B et al: Detection of functional iron deficiency during EPO treatment new approach. Br Men J 304:225-226,1992
- Schaefer RM, Schaefer L: The hypochromic red cells: A new parameter fro monitoring of iron supplementation during EPO therapy .J Perinat Med 23:83-88,1995
- Ali MA, Luxtan AW, Walker WHC, Serum ferritin concentration and bone marrow iron studies: a prospective study. Can Med Assoc J; 118:945-946,1978
- Bhandari S, Norfolk D, Brown john A, Turney J. Evaluation of RBC ferritin and reticulocyte measurements in monitoring response to intravenous iron therapy .Am J Kidney Dis; 30:814-821,1997
- Mittman N, Sreedhara R, Mushnik R, et al, Reticulocyte hemoglobin content predicts functional deficiency in hemodialysis patients receiving EPO. Am J Kidney Dis; 30:912-922,1997
- Brugnara C, Zurakowski D, DiCanzio J, Boyd T,Platt O. Reticulocyte hemoglobin content in the diagnosis of iron deficiency in children .JAMA:281:2225-2230,1999
- Brugnara C,Laufer MR, Freidmann AJ, Bridges K, Platt O. Reticulocyte hemoglobin content (CHr):early indicator of iron deficiency and response to therapy,Blood;83:3100-2101,1994
- Tsuchiya K,Saito M,Okano Sugiyama H,Nihei H et al .Monitoring the content of reticulocyte hemoglobin content (CHr) as the progression of anemia in nondialysis CKD patients. Ren Fail; 27; 1:59-65,2005
- Hasegawa M, Kamawara N, Koide S, Murase M et al. Evaluation of reticulocyte hemoglobin content, percentage of hypochronic re blood cells, and ratio of serum ferritin receptor level as a marker of iron deficiency erythropoeisis in patients undergoing hemodialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant;14;659-665,1999
- Mast AE, Blinder MA, Lu Q, Flax S, Dietzen DJ.Clinical utility of the reticulocyte in the diagnosis of iron deficiency. Blood; 99:1489-91,2002
- Kotisaari S, Romppanen J, Penttila I, Punnonen K.The ADVIA 120 hematology analyzer;red blood cells and reticulocyte indices are useful in the diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia. Euro J Hematology; 68:150-156,2002
- Thomas C, Thomas L. Biochemical markers and hematological indices in the diagnosis of functional iron deficiency. Clin Chem.; 48:1066-1076,2002
- Chuang CL, Lui RS,Wei YH, Huang TP et al. Early prediction of response to intravenous iron supplementation by reticulocyte hemoglobin content and high fluorescence reticulocyte count in hemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant; 18:370-7,2003.
- Richardson.S ;Optimizing erythropoeitin therapy in hemodialysis patients, Am J Kidney Dis; 38; 1:109-117,2001
- Mitsuki K,Harada A,Miyata Y. The assessment of iron deficiency in chronic hemodialysis patients: investigation of cut off values for reticulocyte hemoglobin content.Clin Exp Nephrol ;7:52-57,2003
- Tsuchiya K, Okano, Teramura M, Iwamoto Y. Content of reticulocyte hemoglobin as a reliable tool for determining iron deficiency in dialysis patients. Clin Nephrol; 59:115-123,2003
- Fukui Y, Samma S, Fujimoto K,Yamaguchi A et al , Reticulocyte hemoglobin content as marker of iron status in patients receiving maintenance hemodialysis. Nippon Suzuki.Jap J of Nephrology,13:124-128,2004
- Macdougall IC, Horl WH, Jacobs C,Vanderrbano F, Parrondo I et al. European best practice guidelines 6-8:assessing and optimizing iron stores .Nephrol Dial Transplant ;15:S20-S32,2000
- Tessitore N, Pietro G,Lippi G,Bassi A et al.The role of iron status markers in predicting response to intravenous iron in hemodialysis patients on maintenance erythropoeitin. Nephrol Dial Transplant; 16:1416-1423,2001
- Silverberg DS, Blum M, Agbaria Z et al; Intravenous iron for treatment of predialysis anemia. Kidney Int; 69:S79-S85, 1999